cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Awning width issue

MarkT57
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2018 Keystone Outback 330RL. The awning doesn't cover the entire door area and rain splatters into the trailer if the screen is in use. Are there any options to extend the width of the awning to reach out over the slide and protect against rain entry?
9 REPLIES 9

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a previous rv, i added a sun roof wind deflector above the entrance door and it shed rain water about 1/4 the way down the screen. You could add a piece of plexi-glass to cover the bottom 3/4 and attach it with screwed in velcro tabs to the edges of the screen door frame.
This will allow light in as well as air thru the top 1/4 section of the door plus its an easy on/off application. Leave the deflector attached , screwed or 3M it in place.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there’s room, how about adding a slotted track under the awning and over the slide? Then have an awning made to fit. Probably have to fiddle around with lines and maybe a pole.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Could you use a set of De-Flappers and a 5x7 plastic tarp on days you need it ? Clamp the tarp to the awning edge and stake 2 lines from the bottom grommets of the 5x7 tarp to the ground to secure it from wind.
AWNING DE-FLAPPERS

stevemorris
Explorer
Explorer
ive noticed awnings are getting shorter!!
our 12 yr old 26 ft trailer has an 18 ft awning, saw a new similar 26 ft tt with 14 ft awning!! nothing in the way for a bigger one, just cheaper

that nothing to do with your issue, that just bad design imho. more proof that tt's are designed by decorators not campers
2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
How hard would it be to slide a piece of plywood on the roof of the slide out extending over the door (provided the door is lower than the slide out)?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MarkT57
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Ya, not good...especially if you camp a lot where we do...Northwest.
This is going to be tough to remedy...Your only door is right up against a slide so even a bigger awning isn't going to work.
A trailer that long really should have a second door.
gosh, I guess I really wasn't much help....

Yea, I'm in Idaho.

MarkT57
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed it prior to purchase, but had figured somebody out there had devised a remedy already. I'll figure something out.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
MarkT57 wrote:
Have a 2018 Keystone Outback 330RL. The awning doesn't cover the entire door area and rain splatters into the trailer if the screen is in use. Are there any options to extend the width of the awning to reach out over the slide and protect against rain entry?

Not really. Unfortunately this is just poor design on the part of the manufacturer and something you should have noticed as a potential issue before you bought the trailer. I know, not much help, but that's really what it boils down to.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ya, not good...especially if you camp a lot where we do...Northwest.
This is going to be tough to remedy...Your only door is right up against a slide so even a bigger awning isn't going to work.
A trailer that long really should have a second door.
gosh, I guess I really wasn't much help....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro