Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries Box

5_01_PM
Explorer
Explorer
Hello to all:

We just bought a 2016 Cruiser RV Shadow Cruiser S240BHS and we love it. I have made several upgrades to it including a Memory foam mattress, larger propane tanks (30#) and MaxxAir II for both roof vent covers.

Now we are looking to upgrade the battery. It only came with one deep cycle battery and we want to upgrade to 2 batteries and have them enclosed in a diamond plate or similar box to avoid damage and theft. I even saw a box that supposedly has a little solar panel that charges your battery. However, when I try to search on the internet to buy any of these boxes, I have no success. Any help is appreciated!

Happy Camping!!!

Thanks,
6 REPLIES 6

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the RV Armor box and really like it. The price is the best your going to find.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I have the Torklift Battery box for two 6v batteries and it doesn't have solar maintainer. It's a first class box with a matching price. It's kind of like a piece of jewelry on your wife.....doesn't make her any better, but it looks the part!
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
I used a Century Plastics battery box.
They make various sizes out of heavy duty plastic.
http://i.imgur.com/ObY38uR.png
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift makes a great battery box. I have their double battery box with sliding lid (mine is similar to the Power Armor DH 26). Since they are all aluminum, weight is low and they have one of the best thought out locking systems.

Presently, I have a repurposed steel tool box on the tongue and a dual 6V DIY box inside the trailer. I am trying to keep my batteries close to the distribution center and off the tongue for weight considerations.

BTW, install a disconnect switch on your new box if you don't already have one. It will save you a lot of battery longevity.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BruceH
Explorer
Explorer
Another option in case none of the Torklift models work out is to have a custom box built by a metal shop. That is the route I went recently when upgrading from two batteries to four T-105 golf cart batteries. I have several friends that lost their batteries to theft by the meth heads looking for a quick buck. They also had to deal with the damage to the trailer.

The shop that built the box for me is KSH Marine in Lake Havasu City, AZ. They did a great job at a fair price. You should be able to find something similar in your area but I do believe they ship in case you want to go that route.

KSH Marine Web Site

I believe this is what the front end of your new trailer looks like .....

Trailer Front End Photo

One challenge your trailer presents is the sloping front end. That could cut into the upper area of the box. Some things to keep in mind are having enough room to get the lid open and to be able to mount and operate the spring bars for the hitch. I ended up resting the box on a couple of 2 in X 2 in sq tubing rails to clear the spring bar clamps and to support the weight of the box and batteries. Upward clearance was not an issue since my trailer has a vertical front end. You may need a sliding lid or some other creative approach.

One other thing to keep in mind is that if the box is metal there must be a enough free space so the positive posts or uninsulated wires are not at risk of contacting any metal of the box. I used a wood framework between the batteries and the sides of the box to keep the batteries from shifting.

As far as venting, I went with a series of 3 in round louvered screened vent covers.

Vent Covers from Vent My House

Be sure an come back with pictures of what you ended up doing.

Nash 24A Travel Trailer by Northwood Manufacturing (6,800 LB)
2,000 Watt Prosine Inverter, 540 Watts Solar, 3024i Controller & IPN
Chevy Duramax (LLY) Extended Cab Pickup

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
You're probably referring to Torklift Battery Boxes.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380