cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery box seems hot is this a problem

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
Battery box seems hot is this a problem? I noticed my battery box when removing the lid appears to be very hot ,the battery is bubbling could it be over charging or is this normal
Charles
12 REPLIES 12

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Chaz59 wrote:
This battery wasn't warranty and interstate gave me a new battery one more question how often do you guys check the water in your battery and also what should be the level of the water
I check the electrolyte level right after I check the voltage going into the battery. It varies and is voltage dependent, a couple times a year. You can look on the Interstate website and it will have battery electrolyte levels described. There should be a ring at the top of each cell. Fill to just under the ring.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I check water at least once a month, along with truck, car and boat. Water should be at the top of the slits.
You probably ought to keep a closer watch for a while, just to make sure your converter isn't the culprit. I lost a brand new battery when it got overcharged. And had to buy a new converter.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
This battery wasn't warranty and interstate gave me a new battery one more question how often do you guys check the water in your battery and also what should be the level of the water
Charles

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The older single mode converter/chargers that only produce 13.6VDC is known to over charge the batteries over time. If that is what you have it will still work ok charging your battery but you must start doing a battery check for fluid levels on a weekly basis or sooner...

I lost one for this reason but I went ahead and got a good known smart mode multi voltage output converter/charger unit. I don't have this over charging problem any more...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
bad battery. Shorted cell is causing it to continually draw current from the charging source, which causes it to overheat.
Bob

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for double post.

Fireballsocal
Explorer
Explorer
I'd imagine its the battery also. Is there a strong sulfur smell to go along with the heat?

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Bad Battery

Chaz59
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you I'm headed to interstate to see if they will get me a new battery
Charles

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
PLEASE turn OFF converter/charging....either unplug it if corded or turn AC CB off if hardwired.

Let battery cool down

Do not mess with a hot energized battery

Then carefully remove cell caps and check water levels...add distilled water just up to bottom of 'well'

Your converter is either overcharging or you have a bad cell.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bubbling battery is not normal. If the box is warm, okay, but very hot, not okay.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Not normal.
Either over charging or bad battery
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides