cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Disconnect ???

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I want to add a disco switch so I don't have to undo the battery boxes, and disconnect the Cables all the time.

My set up is typical 2 batteries, wired in parallel. My only thing that is different is I have a residential fridge with an inverter. The way it is connected is the inverter had its own cables going directly to the battery, and I also have the normal cables going to the battery.

I'm assuming I can just connect the inverter cable and the normal cables to the switch.

Am I missing anything with this line of thinking??
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up
13 REPLIES 13

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Although this may not apply to you.............

As you get older, things that could not POSSIBLY happen to you....DO.
Trust me on this one. :S
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

westend
Explorer
Explorer
"Did you get that disconnect switch turned on"?--to traveling partner.
"MMmrph, gedichns sure"
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
BulldawgFan wrote:
Just like the guy in the "Scary, but true, hitch story" thread always hitcehs his coupler to the ball. It only takes once.

Although this may not apply to you I'm one who prefers to manage my trailer rather than have it manage me. I've never driven off with the coupler not properly hitched to the ball and I've never driven off with the battery disconnect switch in the off position. :W

I agree, and nor have I. However, the greater point here is that people (not you or I of course) make mistakes. People, in a rainstorm or rush, miss a step. Because of that fact, wiring the disconnect on the + side (behind the breakaway) removes the human factor.

Again, not for you or I, we have our checklists, rituals and routines and never miss a step.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
BulldawgFan wrote:
Just like the guy in the "Scary, but true, hitch story" thread always hitcehs his coupler to the ball. It only takes once.

Although this may not apply to you I'm one who prefers to manage my trailer rather than have it manage me. I've never driven off with the coupler not properly hitched to the ball and I've never driven off with the battery disconnect switch in the off position. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
spike99 wrote:
And, connect its Emergency Break Away "+" wire directly to the battery "+" post. Thus, your trailer will have emergency brakes - if your manual switch is accidently left in the OFF position.

I never "accidentally" leave my battery disconnect switch in the off position when towing as I always want the truck charge line supplying power back to the trailer ... always. 😉

Just like the guy in the "Scary, but true, hitch story" thread always hitches his coupler to the ball. It only takes once.
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
spike99 wrote:
And, connect its Emergency Break Away "+" wire directly to the battery "+" post. Thus, your trailer will have emergency brakes - if your manual switch is accidently left in the OFF position.

I never "accidentally" leave my battery disconnect switch in the off position when towing as I always want the truck charge line supplying power back to the trailer ... always. 😉

spike99
Explorer
Explorer
If installing a manual battery disconnect switch, remember to install on the "+" side of the battery. And, connect its Emergency Break Away "+" wire directly to the battery "+" post. Thus, your trailer will have emergency brakes - if your manual switch is accidently left in the OFF position. If one installs on "-" post and forgets to turn ON before towing, then trailer won't have emergency break away brakes.

re:

TheCusters
Explorer
Explorer
Bussman Circuit Breaker

Just get something like this and wire the fridge and inverter/converter on the outgoing side. I have one. Mounted it to the inside of the tongue, right below the batteries. Works great.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
prichardson wrote:
The problem with sound guy's diagram is that the inverter is energized AT all times.

I figured it would only be a matter of time before someone popped in with "expert" opinion. :R. In reality, there's no issue at all and I didn't wire it this way because I didn't consider it but because I deemed it unnecessary. If I did I'd have simply wired a disconnect switch into the inverter's input feed ... but it's not necessary in the slightest as the inverter draws zero power when turned off ... and yes, I've measured it. 😉

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with sound guy's diagram is that the inverter is energized AT all times. I would connect it to the load side of the disconnect switch. Just be sure the switch is rated for that much load.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I want to add a disco switch so I don't have to undo the battery boxes, and disconnect the Cables all the time.

Am I missing anything with this line of thinking??

Maybe.
I'm not sure what that first sentence really involves but you can completely disconnect the batteries, electrically, just by disconnecting everything from the negative battery posts.
Everything else can be left in place.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I want to add a disco switch

This is the "disco switch" we have in our rig. (sorry, I couldn't resist)...:B

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
I'm assuming I can just connect the inverter cable and the normal cables to the switch.

That's how I do it.