cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery life, fridge only

markbrumbaugh
Explorer
Explorer
Can I start the fridge on propane only a few days before hook ups, without running down the house battery?
Patriot Guard, USA Ice Hockey Ref and Level 4 Coach, Reg Prof ChE
Hunting, Fishing, Lakehouse, Grandkids, Kids, Camping
Vulcan 900, Morphous
13 REPLIES 13

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
One Marine battery is weaker than a real Deep Cycle battery.
Get rid of a Marine battery next time, anyone, any reader who has one. Uselss.

Solar really is the key. You can do a very simple solar system where you deploy a panel outside in the sun and plug it in to camper, or put a permanent one on the roof and have it always able to charge.
For you it sounds like 100 watts is enough, but is so cheap, go for at least 200 watts of solar, then you need a charge controller (mttp or pwm) and then just wires.
Youre looking at about $200-250 on ebay for this, give or take.

Just to keep batt running a fridge you can use a plug-in 50 watt portable panel.
A portable is useful also to keep your vehicle topped off.

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
opnspaces wrote:
Yes.

But as usual the true answer is it depends. There are more phantom loads on the battery than just the refrigerator. But typically a good battery will last about two weeks before going completely dead. If the battery is older it might not make it quite that long. If your battery is in fairly good shape though it should make it for at least a week.

What is your plan for recharging the battery after the two days? Are you relying on the tow vehicle to recharge it? Or are you getting an electrical hookup once you get to your destination?

This is a good answer and others who answered too.

I will add a few things not yet mentioned to help the cause.

1. The gas detector in your camper is normally wired live all the time. That is one of the small loads being talked about that you cannot turn off.

2. If your camper has a roof TV antenna with a booster amplifier, and that amplifier is left turned on, it will draw power all the time. Most of these have a small button you can push to turn it on/off. Turn it off to make the battery last longer.

3. The radio in the camper, some have a backlight screen that sucks power, not a lot, but it is still power. Most times the only way to unhook this load, is take the fuse out of it on the back.

4. Here is a power sucker, not sure what model/brand fridge you have. Some of the Dometic's have what they call a "Climate control" feature. That is a heat strip that warms the freezer door gasket area to not freeze up on humid days. Some of these have a rocker switch up at the top door gasket area of the freezer door to turn it "off". Make sure that is off. On the RM2652 fridge at least, that heat strip can be live all the time even with the fridge main switch turned off if the climate control switch is left on.

Battery size, type, age, and what state of charge it was in when it started all plays into how many days.

Many of the older campers never had a battery disconnect switch at the battery. You had to unhook the battery cable to stop these parasitic loads from draining your battery in a week or two. Now a days, campers do have disconnect switches, just the owner needs to remember to turn it off when the camper is not used. The ideal thing, you have shore power close to the camper being stored. Plug in a battery minder with a desulfate mode and the battery stays maintained at 100% all the time and in good condition if you have a lead acid battery. If you do not have power near by, then the solar charger just for the battery takes care of it as the other poster stated.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of batteries(12v starting, marine or 6 v GC batteries) do you have and how many amp hrs? How new are the batteries? With good batteries the answer is yes even with just 12v starting batteries. With good GC batteries you can easily go a week before the self discharge with just the refer on. Depending on the length of your trip to your camping spot and you alternator and charging system you could recharge on the trip. How many amps are going back to your batteries while traveling? Will you be dry camping or staying at a FHU park?

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
rwynkoop wrote:
SailingOn wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I have been skipping this step the last few years. Just load the fridge with cold food same as you would a cooler. By the time anything would get too warm the fridge is cooling it back down.

But turning on the fridge announces it's only a few days until we can leave! Who could skip that?

I agree, I'm always excited to go turn the gas on and start the fridge.

Excited...that reminded me of my brother when we were kids
Trips had to be kept 'secret' from him otherwise he would get SO excited he would get SICK and that was not pretty
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
SailingOn wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I have been skipping this step the last few years. Just load the fridge with cold food same as you would a cooler. By the time anything would get too warm the fridge is cooling it back down.

But turning on the fridge announces it's only a few days until we can leave! Who could skip that?

I agree, I'm always excited to go turn the gas on and start the fridge.
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Assuming the battery is close to full charge and there is not too much extra parasitic load you will be fine for a few days.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
For every 100 amp-hours of usable capacity 3 day of fridge.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Consider a solar system and your battery issue goes bye bye.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends on the capacity of your battery. The average absorption fridge will use between 15-20 AH per 24 hour period.
You should be OK for two days without depleting the battery too low.

markbrumbaugh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, will hook up to shore power in a couple days.
Patriot Guard, USA Ice Hockey Ref and Level 4 Coach, Reg Prof ChE
Hunting, Fishing, Lakehouse, Grandkids, Kids, Camping
Vulcan 900, Morphous

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Without AC power your battery will slowly deplete although it takes several days just powering your RV fridge on propane. I have gone a week powering just my fridge, down to 12.1 volts when I finally plugged into shorepower.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Yes.

But as usual the true answer is it depends. There are more phantom loads on the battery than just the refrigerator. But typically a good battery will last about two weeks before going completely dead. If the battery is older it might not make it quite that long. If your battery is in fairly good shape though it should make it for at least a week.

What is your plan for recharging the battery after the two days? Are you relying on the tow vehicle to recharge it? Or are you getting an electrical hookup once you get to your destination?
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup