cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery Related Issue

harnmanGCM
Explorer
Explorer
I have an AF 990 that is not charging from truck power. The batteries charge as advertised when connected to shore power and/or running the generator. I have checked both truck electrical outlets and while they power the applicable exterior lights, the batteries are failing to charge. Does anyone have experience with this matter or have any good recommendations?

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

evanvalk
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem, turned out that a solenoid on the driver side under the hood was not opening, $15.00 and the problem solved.
ED. & ROSE.
Hartland Wilderness, 2014, 33.6 ft. 2-Slids.
2008 Ram 2500 Quad Heavy Duty 6.7,Cummins Turbo-Diesel
4X4 Big Horn. Tampa, FL
TAMPA, FL.

🙂

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I think you hooked the battery up backwards and blew the reverse polarity fuses.

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
harnmanGCM wrote:
Thanks for the assistance guys. A blown 30a fuse was the culprit ...... the tow/trailer fuse on the truck. Probably blew while using the jacks
I could understand the fuse blowing from overload of the simultaneous operation of the jacks if the TC batteries were not on line thus the entire load being placed on the truck batteries through that 30a. fuse. I would be concerned about an intermittent short.
On another vein, do you have a battery isolator on your truck. My Arctic Fox doesn't have one. I don't think they are standard on Actic Fox. My Jimmy didn't come with one so I had one installed.
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
What kind of truck do you have? That fuse blew on my truck and I was better off that way because the circuit wasn't on the key--it was hot all the time.

Which reminds me, I need to update that thread.

harnmanGCM
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the assistance guys. A blown 30a fuse was the culprit ...... the tow/trailer fuse on the truck. Probably blew while using the jacks

wsdepa
Explorer
Explorer
Start your truck and with your multimeter, check the voltage at the truck's battery terminal, it should read atleast 13.5 volts. Then check it at the lead on the camper side of the breaker still under the truck hood, then at the outlet in the truck bed, then at the battery isolator "in "lug. (This is under the step to the cabover in my Lance 981) then at the "out" lug on the isolator and finally check at the battery. Where ever you are NOT seeing 13.5 volts you have a problem, either the breaker or the isolator is bad or there is a loose connection or dirty contact somewhere in between. Some isolators have a delay so they take a minute or so to switch once you start the truck.
Good luck, I hope that this helps.
2006 F-350 S/C 6.0 DRW 4x4 3.73, 2005 Lance Max 981, most options. Camped 49 states and all Canadian Provences(cept Labrador). 100,000 miles and 500 plus nights of TCing.
http://truckntravels.blogspot.com/

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever been able to charge from the truck? A fuse has to be installed in the fuse block for the TC power. Maybe fuse is blown?
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke