cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Security-Theft

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Short of buying a metal box,what are people using to secure your batteries from theft. We do a lot of dry camping and I'm always worried about coming back from a all day hike,to find my batteries gone. Thanks for the ideas
24 REPLIES 24

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Not a big concern for me anyway...but here is a battery lock that might fit your needs.

>>>battery lock<<<

I have this lock and I really like it. Just some extra peace of mind. If your battery is close to the trailer like mine is it can be a little challenging to get the back piece in. But once you figure it out, you put the lock on it and don't need to deal with it until the end of the year. ๐Ÿ™‚

Unless your battery dies quickly or something. In case of that and say you have a power tongue jack..back up close enough to plug in the 7-way so you can use the tongue jack to raise it up.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Heymon wrote:
I am not worried about batteries and such being stolen while camping, but I've already had a propane tank stolen while the rig was in the storage yard. The tanks and batteries are locked down now, with the batteries secured by the above mentioned lock.

Although I've seen it mentioned often here on the forums I have no idea what an "and such" is :h and have never had one stolen. :W However, I do keep a cable lock wrapped around the battery box, a second run through the propane tank collars and around the trailer frame. As mentioned, not a guarantee but certainly a deterrent for anyone with sticky fingers. ๐Ÿ˜‰

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
There are two definitions of a perfect democracy:

First there is the New England town meeting, where everyone gets to speak their mind and opinion, and finally, there is a vote and the majority vote wins.

Second, there is a lynch mob.

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other. --- Eric Hoffer.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
samhain7 wrote:
. The back of a truck at a tool rental store on the other hand (inside joke).......

ROFL.... I remember that thread.
Bob

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you camp where they steal batteries, I think battery theft is your least concern.

Short of a locked metal box. I would add a lock to my plastic battery box. Just another level of difficulty.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
I am not worried about batteries and such being stolen while camping, but I've already had a propane tank stolen while the rig was in the storage yard. The tanks and batteries are locked down now, with the batteries secured by the above mentioned lock.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thieves are generally lazy---they will look for something easier to remove than a battery. A prybar to the door and your electronics/personal items will be gone.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

path1
Explorer
Explorer
If I came back from all day hike and found my batteries gone, I'd be so happy they didn't break the door or window or worse. Great idea you have...keeping thieves hands busy with heavy batteries.

Never lost anything at a campsite but there's always a first time.

But I did have a raccoon steal a loaf of bread once.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Not a big concern for me anyway...but here is a battery lock that might fit your needs.

>>>battery lock<<<
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
If I've have never had a beer in my outdoor cooler stolen...I am not worried about my 60lb battery walking away...
Never even heard of a battery being stolen from a campsite. The back of a truck at a tool rental store on the other hand (inside joke).......
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS