cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery

Npdchief07
Explorer
Explorer
I have had my new travel trailer about two months. I went out today and could not use the electric tongue jack. Also none of the inside lights would work. It appears the battery is dead. Any idea why this would happen?
5 REPLIES 5

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
Until you get your battery disconnect switch: (Assuming you have not completely killed the battery.) Charge it up and just unhook the negative cable when the camper isnโ€™t going to be connected to shore power for days or weeks.

(Somebody may say disconnect the positive side - not sure it matters electrically speaking).

Iโ€™ve been โ€œgetting toโ€ installing a disconnect switch since 2013 and making due with pulling the negative cable until then...

When the camper wonโ€™t be used for long periods I pull the battery out, take it home, and keep it on a tender in my Garage.

So far itโ€™s worked for me. Still on the battery that came with my trailer when new in 2013.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

Dave5143
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to consider the installation of a battery disconnect switch like this. That will stop those pesky parasitic draws. Check first to make sure your rig doesn't already have such a switch. Make sure you use it whenever you are not using the trailer.
Dave & Mary

2012 Denali 289RK
Ford F250 Lariat Powerstroke 6.7L Diesel

Iraqvet05
Explorer
Explorer
Do you remove the battery after each trip or do you plug the TT in between trips? If not, there are components such as the CO2 detector, fridge circuit board, etc.. that drain your battery over time.
2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If the RV isn't plugged in, the parasitic draws will kill the battery over time.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a battery cutoff switch? Or did you otherwise disconnect the battery?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad