2003 northernlite ten 2000 rd
46 REPLIES 46

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
CAJW wrote:
dakonthemountain wrote:
Olympian 5500 Stainless steel mountable grill

I just purchased this grill last week. I'd had a cast aluminum Olympian grill since 1988(new one is stainless steel) and I now use it at home outside when it's snowing and I can't get to the "big" grill..

I have not used it yet, but did a LOT of reading, reviews, etc. before purchasing it. It was expensive when all is said and done, as it does NOT come with hoses other than a quick connect. Price in total with a cover, mounting rail, quick connect adapter hoses for 5gal propane tanks and disposable tanks came to almost $300.. It has a little higher BTU rating (11,000BTU, compared to many smaller grills (8,500 - 10,000) and I like the versatility of a mounting rail on the back of the camper or using it with the same stand as a table top grill. It's lighter than many also and since I'm so anal about things, I'll have a lot of fun trying to keep the glistening stainless still clean and pretty! (not!!) As I write, UPS just delivered the mounting rail, cover and hose adapter for a 5gal propane tank! I'm off to the great outdoors to install it now! ( pictures will be posted later ... ๐Ÿ˜‰ In the future I'll install the quick connect fitting on the side of the camper that will go directly to the main propane tanks, but for now I'm using the extra 5gal tank I have and the disposable ones.

Dak

Dak,
We got the same grill about 2 weeks ago and have used it a half dozen times and love it! Easy to set up, use, clean and put away and fits (inside the optional bag) in the storage compartment of our AF996. I haven't yet decided where to mount the rail to hang it, thinking of the bumper area, but when you mount yours, pics and pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks!

I just saw this... sorry! It does work GREAT and gets almost TOO hot! I leave the lid open much more than I ever did on previous portable grills. I'll post a picture in the "what I did to my camper" thread asap.. ๐Ÿ™‚

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

I_Fish_2
Explorer
Explorer
pezvela wrote:
I need some clarification. For those of you who keep mentioning storing big things in your generator compartment, I take it you dont have a built in generator in there?

I can't speak for the others, but I think, like me, this is the case. If I'd carry a gen set in there, there'd be no room for anything else.

To the OP, my vote goes to the Weber Go anywhere grill. First, I want to say I used to travel for work. I got tired of the restaurants 300 days a year, and, most hotel rooms don't have kitchens, so, I started tailgating in the parking lots. I went through 4 different grills in less than 2 years, until I got the Weber. It has been with me for over 11 years. 5 of which saw use 250+ days per year, going 400,000 miles, covering 35 states. Although it's a little dirty, it still works just as good now as when new. I got a hose and started using the regular grill 20 pound cylinders some time ago. Due to this little grills performance, I, and my family, only have Weber's. IMO, I will never own anything but a Weber. The Q may be better, but, I have no experience with it, as, at the present I'm still using my 11 year old Go Anywhere.

Did I mention my grill is a Weber? I think I did, but, I forgot to mention they are basically the first mass produced grill in the world, and, as they have always been, AMERICAN MADE!!!

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
pezvela wrote:
I need some clarification. For those of you who keep mentioning storing big things in your generator compartment, I take it you dont have a built in generator in there?

No generator, have no use for one. If I get lonely for the noise, usually someone in the campsite next door obliges at 7 AM....
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

bigfootgrey
Explorer
Explorer
We carry our Weber Q in our genny compartment.The folding cart stores in the basement.Great grill,no complaints!

Bob & Cathy
2011 Ford F-350 PSD SC DRW
2008 Bigfoot 25C-10.4E
Firestone airbags - torklift stable-loads,fastguns,Talons Rancho rs 9000XLโ€™s.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
dakonthemountain wrote:
Olympian 5500 Stainless steel mountable grill

I just purchased this grill last week. I'd had a cast aluminum Olympian grill since 1988(new one is stainless steel) and I now use it at home outside when it's snowing and I can't get to the "big" grill..

I have not used it yet, but did a LOT of reading, reviews, etc. before purchasing it. It was expensive when all is said and done, as it does NOT come with hoses other than a quick connect. Price in total with a cover, mounting rail, quick connect adapter hoses for 5gal propane tanks and disposable tanks came to almost $300.. It has a little higher BTU rating (11,000BTU, compared to many smaller grills (8,500 - 10,000) and I like the versatility of a mounting rail on the back of the camper or using it with the same stand as a table top grill. It's lighter than many also and since I'm so anal about things, I'll have a lot of fun trying to keep the glistening stainless still clean and pretty! (not!!) As I write, UPS just delivered the mounting rail, cover and hose adapter for a 5gal propane tank! I'm off to the great outdoors to install it now! ( pictures will be posted later ... ๐Ÿ˜‰ In the future I'll install the quick connect fitting on the side of the camper that will go directly to the main propane tanks, but for now I'm using the extra 5gal tank I have and the disposable ones.

Dak

Dak,
We got the same grill about 2 weeks ago and have used it a half dozen times and love it! Easy to set up, use, clean and put away and fits (inside the optional bag) in the storage compartment of our AF996. I haven't yet decided where to mount the rail to hang it, thinking of the bumper area, but when you mount yours, pics and pointers would be appreciated.
Thanks!
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
I need some clarification. For those of you who keep mentioning storing big things in your generator compartment, I take it you dont have a built in generator in there? It's just storage, or are you storing a Honda or something in there and there is still room for more?

I was always carrying my BBQ up front on my Hitch Haul in my front hitch receiver. But that's where my EZ up, firewood and a duffle goes.

redink
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the O-grill. I beieve it is the cast iron grill that makes this thing work so good, but it works great. Basically have started using it at home instead of the wire rack propane grill I have.

The O-grill does clean up very easily also. On my lance 825 it will fit in the generator compartment, but usually rides in the truck. I have not tried any others so my opinion is partial but it really works great.

It has a built in regulator and you can hook it directly to your auxillary propane outlet if you have one and get the hose. I have not tried this as it seems like I would loose the propane in the hose each time I disconnected it. Anyone have experience doing that?
2012 Lance 825 on a 2008 Ford F-250 Diesel with Rancho 9000's, Fast Guns, Stableload Quick Disconnects for lowers and homemade Bumbers for the uppers, TokLift Tie Downs

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
I used to own a Weber box model that encloses. They are nice.

But the problem is, like all propane grills, the juices attack either the metal tent over the burner or the burner, itself. I found myself replacing it about every year in heavy use. A hassle to clean, too.

This griddle is so simple; nothing to go wrong, unless the Coleman stove fails and it hasnt in about 20 years. And you still get the nice grill marks on burgers, steaks and chicken breasts. Not as tasty as my mesquite grill at home but, hey, the limited storage of a TC forces compromises.

Tamnative
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
Tamnative wrote:

My grille just fell apart and I have been looking for another to put in the upper left storage of my Bigfoot 10.4e, if I may ask where do you put your grille?

I put mine in the Genset compartment (upper right) along with other stuff. I think it would easily fit in the upper left, but that has been converted to a second bathroom in mine. Here is the dimensional drawing of the Trailmate. The regulator is a simple bayonet mount (rotate and pull it out) so it need not be considered for storage. Without it you should be able to fit it sideways, leaving space for lots of other things. If I remember I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks for the response and the photos,it puts it in perspective. I didn't understand the "second bathroom" then I saw the cats head,I love it:B
2005 Ford F-350 ex-cab Lariat 4x4 srw 6.0 Powerstroke
2008 Bigfoot 10.4

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
pezvela wrote:

I have owned a few Magmas; mostly the round kettle ones for boats. My beef with them is that their LOW setting is still so high that's it's hard to slow cook anything.

I personally don't like the Magma round kettle BBQs, gave the last one away having used it once and confirmed they had not improved. This one is a different animal.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

mark_be
Explorer
Explorer
jamminalong wrote:
James' wrote:
Just picked up the Weber Q 120

Yep that's the one we got too! Baby Q 120 w/stand.

Same one here, but I do need to find a better steel brush than what I have now.
2001 Ford F350 7.3 Diesel (DRW Crew cab Long bed)
Sonnax TQ and Sonnax 4R100 rebuild - 6.0 transmission cooler and OTW cooler.

2011 Arctic Fox 992 - 2.5kW propane generator - 315AH Trojan batteries - 2kW pure sine wave inverter - 140Wp solar

pezvela
Explorer
Explorer
For the last two years, I have been using something like this: a reversible grill/griddle combination that fits neatly on my Coleman stove.

Mine has much more raised ridges than this one; mine are about 3/4 inch high on one side and a flat griddle on the other side. It covers the entire surface of the original Coleman propane stove.

I just got tired of trying to fit the extra bulk of a BBQ somewhere. I just store this in a side compartment in the bed of the truck in a plastic trash bag.

I'm NEVER without my Coleman stove, as we cook 95% of our meals outside in our outdoor kitchen setup.

I have owned a few Magmas; mostly the round kettle ones for boats. My beef with them is that their LOW setting is still so high that's it's hard to slow cook anything.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
HMS Beagle wrote:
Tamnative wrote:

My grille just fell apart and I have been looking for another to put in the upper left storage of my Bigfoot 10.4e, if I may ask where do you put your grille?

I put mine in the Genset compartment (upper right) along with other stuff. I think it would easily fit in the upper left, but that has been converted to a second bathroom in mine. Here is the dimensional drawing of the Trailmate. The regulator is a simple bayonet mount (rotate and pull it out) so it need not be considered for storage. Without it you should be able to fit it sideways, leaving space for lots of other things. If I remember I will try it tomorrow and let you know.

OK, it fits. It is a cute little grill, has folding legs but you can also get a variety of mounts intended for rails, lifeline stanchions, fishing pole holders, etc. These work very well, unlike the Magma traditional kettle BBQ mount, which was seriously flawed.

Here it is in the former genset compartment:

And here in the upper left hand:

It would not fit in the former battery compartment or basement (too tall).

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Bluetruck11 wrote:
The O Grill has been very good to us.. Sturdy not to heavey fits nicely into a carrying bag... Heard of some draw backs on the Weber Q's and we went this route, and hav not regreted it.. Happy grilling!

X2 Been using the O-Grill for three years now. Very well made and love the carrying bag.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.