cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bearing and castel nut question?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I'm cleaning and repacking the bearings on my TT and noticed the grease had turned a pinkish orange color instead of the normal bright red. I then noticed that there was water around the spindle and nut as I turned the wheel. I cleaned everything up and all looks well except that the castel nut has some rust on it, but not near the threads. Do I need to buy a new nut or can I reuse this one and coat it with plenty of grease?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer your question you do not have to replace the nut. It would not hurt to use a little sand paper and rub the rust off but, I don't think it will make any difference.

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe the dust cap was leaking or not seated all the way? Do you use a pressure washer to clean the wheels? I have a 2500 PSI unit and have seen water get past the dust seals when cleaning them. In MY case, it's never enough to cause issues as the water will evaporate when the bearings get up to temp.
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
I'ts most likely condensation build up. Pretty normal.

Why would only one of the four hubs have condensation build up?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
I'ts most likely condensation build up. Pretty normal.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be installing a brand new seal and dust cap. That should take care of water intrusion, right?

Coolerman
Explorer
Explorer
Re-use it, but do find out how the water got in. That's why the grease turned pink, water was mixing with it.
Mark Baker aka Coolerman
2016 Venture Sonic 170VBH
SOLD:2001 StarCraft Gemini
TV: 2018 Ford F-150 Lariat