cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before I shave 200#,s off...

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
I'm right at about 220#'s overweight on my rig. Some of you would laugh at such a small amount, but I have a small 7' coachmen on a Ford Ranger. Add to the fact that I'm new at running a TC makes me extra cautious.

I'm already 1/2 tanking it and removed a bunch of misc stuff but still around 220#'s over.

I have some other ideas to reduce weight and wanted to ask for some of your input to help me along.

1. Replace stock mattress with an air mattress. aprx 40# reduction.

2. Remove air conditioner (wife not crazy about this one). aprx 90# reduction

3. Swap out 20# lp tank with a 11# lp tank. aprx 15# reduction.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Victor
76 REPLIES 76

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Redsky wrote:

For a truck battery there is no reason to waste money on an AGM battery at twice the price of a sealed flooded lead acid battery.

The suggestion would lighten his wallet! :W

I think the suggestion for the AGM has to do with not having a separate battery for the TC but yet having a deep cycle high amperage battery to serve and hopefully allow the use of the TC while camped.

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget the jump seats!
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

Redsky
Explorer
Explorer
Usually it is the stock tires that determine the payload rating for a pickup truck along with the passenger capacity of the cab. If the tires will support the additional 200 lbs. I would not worry about the rear axle and wheel bearings. Another way to approach it is to look at the Ford GCWR for the truck which includes the truck and passengers and load in the box and any towed load. That number provides a maximum total load that the truck's engine and transmission and frame and suspension can safely handle.

If you have a 2WD truck the easiest and cheapest approach is to change the rear tires to gain more load capacity. The rear wheel wells should have room for much larger tires. Your speedometer may be off by 2-3 MPH at freeway speeds and the gearing will be a little higher but not a big change from the stock configuration.

The payload for a crew cab includes 150 lbs. for each seat. A truck that holds 3 passengers has the payload reduced by 450 lbs. and you will see this difference if you look at two otherwise identical pickups with one having a crew cab and the other a regular cab.

For a truck battery there is no reason to waste money on an AGM battery at twice the price of a sealed flooded lead acid battery. I buy Interstate batteries from the locally owned and operated NAPA dealer. I like to keep my money in the local economy and not have it go to the Walton billionaires in Bentonville. My Interstate batteries have without exception lasted for 5 or more years. After 5 years I replace them with a new one and trade in the old one to be recycled. No need to make it complicated unless you like that sort of thing and everyone needs a hobby.

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Victory402 wrote:
Good job victor! Be careful of running your truck battery down though.....

Which leads me to my next question.
Can anyone recommend a top shelf truck battery?

For the truck starting battery consider Sears Platinum AGM.
Nothing has better CCA that I have found. AGM is more resistant to deep cycling, freeze damage, no maintenance and will charge faster.

Victory402
Explorer
Explorer
I gotta say I love mine!

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
Used rangers are bringing top dollar right now because there are no more new ones around to buy and people still want them because they're great little trucks!
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

usmohls2
Explorer
Explorer
fatmanobx wrote:
Ranger pickups are bringing top dollar right now for some reason. Sell it and buy a real truck! lol

Ford discontinued the ranger.

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to increase your worry factor but...I've owned a few little trucks like that and the first thing to go when they are heavy is the transmission. They aren't real trucks, just a car with a truck body.

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
realter wrote:
How about yourself. After I lost 35 lbs, I feel so much better. My goal this coming year is 35 more. Usually it is best to not suggest your wife lose weight lol.

No problem, he can just tell her you suggested it:)

later
C

realter
Explorer
Explorer
How about yourself. After I lost 35 lbs, I feel so much better. My goal this coming year is 35 more. Usually it is best to not suggest your wife lose weight lol.

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Hows your front axle weight rating. I put a front receiver hitch on my truck for a generator. When I put 200 pounds on the front receiver cargo rack the weight on the back axle drops by a hundred pounds. If you have capacity left on front axle go with a front receiver hitch and a cargo rack. They work great. JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
With the items you removed, you did good. Glad to see you remembered even the 1# here and there add up. I've managed to camp several winter seasons with only one tank, just make sure it is filled before each winter trip. I don't like the idea of running on the truck battery, but then I'm usually camping alone so having a dead battery could mean a very long walk.

Since you increased your capacity by increasing the tire rating, thought you may want to go to the next step in vehicle modifications.

Based on quick checking, the below is what I found. Would have to dig deeper to verify, but the numbers show the option. (reference website)

The ranger rear axle is only rated at 2750 pounds. This is not the tire limits, but the axle design itself and does not matter if it is the 7.5" or 8.8" axle. A lot of off roaders upgrade to the Ford Explorer 8.8" axle which has a 3,200# rating. So a swap would increase the axle rating by 450# and let you put a few things back in.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
cjoseph wrote:
Swap out that canned food for dehydrated stuff. Take a look at the other stuff that you pack in it for a trip and think like a back packer.

Ditto
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator