cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Fridge Type

Dutch_Oven_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We have had 2-way and 3-way fridges for years. I need to replace out discontinued Atwood unit that is a headache, and have been reading about the 12V compressor fridges. We are 99% RV Park type folks, only time we are boondocking is for an occasional overnight stop at Walmart, and even then I have a generator.

The 12V units seem to be more economical and larger for the same size cutout than the 2 way units, downside being they can drain the battery when not hooked up to shore power.

We have a 15 year old travel trailer and have no desire to go Lithium, so would a 12V be advisable for travel and being plugged into shore power. Brand preference or brand to stay away from? I don’t want the Atwood “no longer supported” headache I have now.
30 REPLIES 30

joelc
Explorer III
Explorer III
I got a Dometic 12V fridge. It runs, but must have a special guage wire for it to run properly. Also, if something goes wrong, you might as well pray, cause you cannot get parts for it. I believe my thermostat is faulty, but can not get one unless I fork over $170 and wait 6 months. It runs well as long as it is on maximum setting. I am assuming all units that you look at that are made in China will have the same problem They are interested in selling them, but don't want to supply parts so one can repair it.