cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best size TT for exploring the National Parks?

likesadvice
Explorer
Explorer
Our family of four is searching for our first travel trailer, but having difficulty because of the endless models to choose from. We are looking for a bunkhouse style trailer that can be easily towed by our Toyota Tundra 5.7. Our plan for this trailer will be to take 2 weeks each summer and tow it across country as we explore the national parks. We also intend to use it for long weekend campouts within a few hours of our home. My question is - Knowing our expected use should I be searching for a model in the 30' range like a Passport Elite 28bh that has a separate bedroom for the adults, or a mid 20' like the Jayco 23m or Lance 2185 that have murphy style beds that can also be used as couches? Will an additional 5' of TT be cumbersome to tow?
Any opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jay
28 REPLIES 28

rfryer
Explorer
Explorer
If you post the specs on your TV many on the forum can give you a good idea of what you can tow. The weak point with ½ tons is payload; you’ll run out of that before you reach any of the other ratings. You’ll find you will have to choose between features you want; everything is a compromise with RV’s.

When you get near the 30’ area you’ll have lots of space and amenities and comfort. Sort of like a mobile motel room. The tradeoff is you’ll have limitations on where you can go. Some scenic roads and less developed campgrounds will be off limits. You choice of campsites will be reduced too, and you’ll likely have to make reservations to ensure you can get a site.I don’t think many people buy a big unit to dry camp either; they’ll want hookups for the most part. Most campgrounds don’t have hookups, e.g., Yellowstone and the Tetons only have one cg each with hookups so many people stay in commercial cg’s outside the park.

Small and light gives you far more flexibility as far as finding camp sites and they’re easier to tow, especially if you do much mountain driving. The tradeoff there of course is the reduced space and amenities. You’re the only one who can balance off the pros and cons and settle on a unit that you’re happy with.

I view 30’ plus units as one end of the bell curve. I’m on the other end. My goal is to get well back into national forests and I have a 16’ TT. I routinely can get a spot in the parks without reservations even in prime season and it’s a piece of cake to pull even in the mountains. But I don’t have the comfort and features of a big rig, which is OK with me, in my view I’m camping and comfort isn’t my top priority.

If you’re looking at 30’ units you wouldn’t be happy with mine. If I wanted as much space as possible and still wanted a lot of flexibility to find sites I’d look at 25’ and less units. You would have more opportunities for campsites and less restriction on where you could go.

This being your first TT I’d suggest you seriously consider a nice, late model used one. Most people find, after they’ve used it for awhile, their first choice isn’t what they really want and they replace it with something more suitable. Considering the rapid depreciation of RV’s, that can get expensive if you’re buying new. Good luck on your decision.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is looking for a mid 20' bunkhouse!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
In spite of the usual "bigger is better", I would stick with the mid-20's length. Both because of your half-ton truck and for getting into more campsites easier. It won't be easy with a family of 4 but I still wouldn't overdue size.
Jayco-noslide

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Ascend makes a bunk house model, 23 ft IIRC.
bumpy

jma3910
Explorer
Explorer
yes

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
In the Jayco 197, are you able to access the bathroom with the slide in?

WoodGlue

jma3910
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2014 Jayco 197. We pretty much only camp in SP's,NP's, and COE's. We have plenty of room inside as the big slide makes all the difference. So far we have easily fit into everyplace we have been. The tightest places we have seen were Ft Hamby on Kerr Scott in NC.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
the simple and quick answer is the 25 foot range. It will fit into more National park sites and as a bonus is a better match for your truck.

jma3910
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2014 Jayco 197. We pretty much only camp in SP's,NP's, and COE's. We have plenty of room inside as the big slide makes all the difference. So far we have easily fit into everyplace we have been. The tightest places we have seen were Ft Hamby on Kerr Scott in NC.

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
The Lance 2185 is an idea length to fit into most sites, as it's only 25'8" in length and can sleep 7 easily. You're also right about the sofa being part of it (it's an option) in the 2185.

WoodGlue

clubhouse
Explorer
Explorer
My Jayco 26BH, overall length of 29', is very difficult to get in most NP and FS sites. We have lots more luck in California SP CG. Yosemite specifically, <24' is really were you need to be to have a decent selection of sites. These places were laid out and built for tents.

jrichard
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Avenger 28BHS...which is 31.5' tip to tail and we often have limitations due to length. It's not cumbersome to tow, but it simply too big for parks designed 30-60 years ago.

If you're adventurous, good at backing, and willing to leave if things don't work out, you can reserve small sights and see if you can squeeze in. We've done that and never had to leave, but I've been lucky....there have often been nearby sites listed as the same (short) length as the one we've reserved that there's no way we'd get into them.

I'd suggest 24' box / 26-27' tip to tail as the maximum size for flexibility.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
likesadvice wrote:
Our family of four is searching for our first travel trailer, but having difficulty because of the endless models to choose from. We are looking for a bunkhouse style trailer that can be easily towed by our Toyota Tundra 5.7. Our plan for this trailer will be to take 2 weeks each summer and tow it across country as we explore the national parks. We also intend to use it for long weekend campouts within a few hours of our home. My question is - Knowing our expected use should I be searching for a model in the 30' range like a Passport Elite 28bh that has a separate bedroom for the adults, or a mid 20' like the Jayco 23m or Lance 2185 that have murphy style beds that can also be used as couches? Will an additional 5' of TT be cumbersome to tow?
Any opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jay

The extra 5' won't be harder to tow. But will make it harder to find a campsite in a NP. You may find one, but it really cuts down on the sites you can use. Ours is 31', and it is way too long for most sites in Julian Price Park on the Blue Ridge Parkway. And it's the largest CG on the Parkway.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Rather than length look for weights. I would think 25 ft or less with your truck. Pay close attention to truck limits. It is a 1/2 ton and that includes tongue weight and all the kids. Stay well within the limits and you will be much happier and safer.