cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best size TT for exploring the National Parks?

likesadvice
Explorer
Explorer
Our family of four is searching for our first travel trailer, but having difficulty because of the endless models to choose from. We are looking for a bunkhouse style trailer that can be easily towed by our Toyota Tundra 5.7. Our plan for this trailer will be to take 2 weeks each summer and tow it across country as we explore the national parks. We also intend to use it for long weekend campouts within a few hours of our home. My question is - Knowing our expected use should I be searching for a model in the 30' range like a Passport Elite 28bh that has a separate bedroom for the adults, or a mid 20' like the Jayco 23m or Lance 2185 that have murphy style beds that can also be used as couches? Will an additional 5' of TT be cumbersome to tow?
Any opinions and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Jay
28 REPLIES 28

SynEpona
Explorer
Explorer
PUCampin wrote:

Here are a couple other interesting floorplans though they are in the mid 20's
Rockwood mini lite 2306

We have the 2306, and our kids are little, so it works, but the triple bunk configuration is really tight - our 6yo finds the upper bunk too cramped already. The 2yo sleeps on the bottom, the 6yo in the middle, and the top is for stuff that didn't get stashed elsewhere. Ours is 10yrs old, so the layout is slightly different, but it works well enough for now.

We like that we don't need to change any surface from day to night set-up, but know that when the kids are a bit older we're going to want more space.

We have put it into some tent sites and snug spaces, which its good for! I believe, the box size is only 19 or 20', so it is a very cozy set up, and we really make use of the awning space and a separate dining tent -- spend most of our time outdoors.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 34' Avion triple axle trailer that is too large for many campgrounds. I put my 1969 Avion camper on a trailer that ended up being 19.5' long. It is easy to get in and out of any space that I have tried. We only have 3 people so I would say a low 20' trailer would be just about right for the OP. Water capacity, LP capacity and payload may be important for those who like to boondock.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

naneen
Explorer
Explorer
I have to say the past 8 years we've been camping with 4-5 people (2 adults, 2-3 children and two dogs) in a shadow cruiser fun finder t160 and we love it. Its a bit of a TARDIS inside - lots of storage and even on cold/rainy days we've hold up inside with cards and hot chocolate The 2004 model has small grey and black tanks (12gallons) which is why we are looking to upgrade to a 21 foot model. We want to boondock, etc.

It could be that I grew up in NYC in a tiny apartment and in college I backpacked and tent so I don't need or want a thirty foot camper but I have to say that it's been easy to travel and camp with adults and kids in our little camper.
Subaru Forester

Toyota CrewMax with kayak rack which happily tows a Shadow Cruiser Funfinder T-160 and soon will be towing a Lance 1685

1 daughter, 1 exchange student, 2 dogs, 4 cats

naneen
Explorer
Explorer
likesadvice wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. We visited two dealerships today. Neither dealership had much for shorter bunkhouses. We were mostly shown TT's in the 30' range. My wife is partial to a Palomino Solaire 269BHDSK (32'total) for $24000. I am partial to the shorter Lance 2185 (25' total) for $28000. $4000 more for 7' less trailer, those Lance's must be good. My Tundra is rated for 10100 lbs., so the Palomino is within the tow limit. From the comments, I'm expecting we are likely to stay in private campgrounds rather than in any park, which is ok. Any additional comments are welcome, and thank you again to those that replied.
Subaru Forester

Toyota CrewMax with kayak rack which happily tows a Shadow Cruiser Funfinder T-160 and soon will be towing a Lance 1685

1 daughter, 1 exchange student, 2 dogs, 4 cats

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP, I usually only read these posts about twenty ??? feet being the biggest to get a g00d chuckle. You will find that whatever size a poster has is the right length so in my case... 42' is the right length.:B
The first post was probably the best one except for the 25' or less part:
bgum wrote:
Rather than length look for weights. I would think 25 ft or less with your truck. Pay close attention to truck limits. It is a 1/2 ton and that includes tongue weight and all the kids. Stay well within the limits and you will be much happier and safer.

Next: "The extra 5' won't be harder to tow"... and it will actually be easier to back up.
We boondock all over the country without reservations without any major problems finding a site BUT we do not show up on Friday. Arrive early in the week and there are plenty of bigger sites without reservations.
Buy more RV than you think you need... ONE TIME and maybe used.
As rfryer said: "The weak point with ½ tons is payload; you’ll run out of that before you reach any of the other ratings." It's easy to add more than 1500lbs to the dry weight of just the trailer with a little water and some of your stuff. Add four people and some more stuff and you'll be over your 10,100 payload. There are some 30' TT that weigh less than 7000 dry.
Good Luck in what you decide and the DW gets two votes for each of yours.:B
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Skyline RV has a line called ECO-Camp that includes a bunkhouse model that is in the neighborhood of 22 feet, bumper to ball.

likesadvice wrote:
Thanks for all the advice. We visited two dealerships today. Neither dealership had much for shorter bunkhouses. We were mostly shown TT's in the 30' range. My wife is partial to a Palomino Solaire 269BHDSK (32'total) for $24000. I am partial to the shorter Lance 2185 (25' total) for $28000. $4000 more for 7' less trailer, those Lance's must be good. My Tundra is rated for 10100 lbs., so the Palomino is within the tow limit. From the comments, I'm expecting we are likely to stay in private campgrounds rather than in any park, which is ok. Any additional comments are welcome, and thank you again to those that replied.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

WoodGlue
Explorer
Explorer
Lance has a unique manufacturing process, thus the higher price point. They use Azdel instead of "wood" in their trailers, which is a huge plus! Plus they also use LitePly as opposed to traditional wood (plywood, etc) which helps to keep the weight down as well.

If you'd like to PM me about Lance trailers, please feel free!

WoodGlue
2002 Land Rover Discovery II
2014 Lance 1685 - Loaded - 4 Seasons - Solar - 2 AGM's
When Hell Freezes Over - I'll Camp There Too!
Lance Travel Trailer Info - Lance 1685 Travel Trailer - Lance 1575 Trailer

gettinhitchy
Explorer
Explorer
Our trailer is 29' (I think 31' with the hitch) and we tow with our Tundra 5.7 with the 10,100 tow capacity. We've gone to Yellowstone, and a large number of state parks and Forestry campgrounds. Some places have a limited number of sites that we will fit in, but overall we've had no problems. We often see 35-40 motorhomes there too, so all it takes might be a little planning in advance. We like to have reservations so we know we have a spot we will fit in, but from there we explore and have been quite pleased with the sites we find along the way that work well. Towing with our Tundra has been excellent. Our trailer weighs 6800 dry.

likesadvice
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
Get a small 10x10 tent (or a screened enclosure for your awning) that the kids can stand upright in and a couple of light weight cots. Then you can really cut down on the crowding when the weather is decent.

What I was thinking, too. We've done the tent + RV thing and it worked out well. The only hindrance is if you get into a NP with all the bear warnings posted. All those signs and attention to bear avoidance is a pretty strong motivator for sleeping inside a box and not a tent.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Get a small 10x10 tent (or a screened enclosure for your awning) that the kids can stand upright in and a couple of light weight cots. Then you can really cut down on the crowding when the weather is decent.
Currently Between RVs

PUCampin
Explorer
Explorer
You have received some good advice so far. I will pile on to the low to mid 20's end to end for the type of camping you want to do. We like to do the same kind of camping. My 180ck is 22'4" hitch to bumper, and there have been times I was really glad it wasn't longer. National parks, out here especially, have A FEW sites to accomodate larger rigs, but they are limited and sell out very quickly. Shorter gives you more options. Sometimes I wish I had a TC, like we did when I was growing up, I would never have to worry about site length.

Our 180ck is one of the most common small trailer floor plans, and works very well for my family of 5 (often 6 with DW's aunt) It has a single over double in the back next to the bathroom. A 72" length dinette with drop down table, the kind attached to a hinge on the wall and a single fold up leg, it literally converts in seconds. A jacknife sofa along the front wall that also converts in seconds. There is plenty of storage as well. It is a very efficent use of space. We don't have a slide and that is ok by me. Most manufactures make a version of this floorplan, calling it a 18 or 19 or maybe 20 something model.

In order to keep a shorter length for the kind of camping you want to do, you will generally have to have a corner bed of some kind. Models with walk arounds in this size are usually for 2 people and will not function for a family. My inlaws have a trailer like this, it is perfect for the 2 of them.

For us, we keep the double made up like a bed, and the 3 kids have sleeping bags and pillows. In transit, all our bags and suitcases are on the single over bunk, I have a toddler bed rail I installed to keep everything up there. The sleeping bags, pillows and blankes go under the couch. At bedtime I drop the couch and dinette, pull out the sleeping bags, kids clothing bags go under the table and ours go in the bath tub in the bathroom. Takes about 5 minutes to change from awake to sleep configuration.

Here are a couple other interesting floorplans though they are in the mid 20's
Rockwood mini lite 2306
Jay Feather 23k not made anymore but a very interesting floorplan, actually has that walk around bed plus bunks in a 27ft hitch to bumper trailer

If I was looking today, for our camping style and family of 5, the Lance 2185 would be near the top of the list
2007 Expedition EL 4x4 Tow pkg
1981 Palomino Pony, the PopUp = PUCampin! (Sold)
2006 Pioneer 180CK = (No more PUcampin!):B

Me:B DW:) and the 3 in 3 :E
DD:B 2006, DS 😛 2007, DD :C 2008

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My 26' is tight fit at times. Less is more.
Get a slide for more interior space.

DarthMuffin
Explorer
Explorer
I would go with something in the low 20's for length. Slideout is fine but the extra wide models are not. Anything bigger and you won't be able to fit in most of the campgrounds (might get lucky and find the 1 or 2 spots open in each campground that could kinda-sorta fit a 30' trailer, but usually not). A hybrid type (fold out bunks) may be a good idea for extra floor space (and they're light too), although some places like Glacier Park require hard sided trailers where there are bears. Make sure it's set up well for dry camping since you'll hardly ever have hookups -- LED lights, extra battery/generator/solar, way to take on and empty water tanks...

However, DO IT! The NP and Forest Service campgrounds are all beautiful and relaxing. So many people seem to HAVE to have hookups and space for their 35 foot toy hauler or class A these days, and they're missing out. Get off the beaten path.