cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Tank Leak

purplepossum
Explorer
Explorer
Did a search and read an excellent posting on how to fix a cracked black pipe. However, reading between the lines, you need to drain the tank and let the crack dry out prior to cleaning up the area. We're presently on an extended stay and will need to continue to use the tank for the duration. There are no facilities at this campground that can be used as a substitute. It will be about 6 weeks before we'll return home.

Like to stop the dripping leak on a short term basis while we're out. Think that this leak is the cause of problems I'm having with tank clogs. Think possibly most of the liquid is leaking and leaving the semi solids behind.

Any suggestion on products that will work under the above
conditions? Looking for a short term repair. Understand that I'll have to fix the problem on a more permanent basis when I return home.
13 REPLIES 13

Possumpoint
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
I would be thinking about securing the pipe with some good hangers. I thought most ABS drain pipes are solvent welded to the ABS tank. It sounds like you have a mix of materials.

Is it possible that you had a through-tank rubber seal on the pipe and the back half sheared off? Something like this:tank grommet

Thank you for the information and link to black tank supplies. You've got me thinking that it could be a broken grommet instead of what I thought it was. Got to wait for things to dry out and I can work with it and see what is what. If it is a rubber grommet, that's a hard piece of rubber.

There is an over flow of white cement from where the internal grommet is glued to the tank. Thought that it was the same cement used between the grommets.
2006 30MH24SL Bigfoot Class C
2003 Citation 32' Sky Deck TT
2003 Artic Fox #1140
Rick & Kathy, My best friend and wife for 38yrs
Rascal & Peewee(our furry children)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I would be thinking about securing the pipe with some good hangers. I thought most ABS drain pipes are solvent welded to the ABS tank. It sounds like you have a mix of materials.

Is it possible that you had a through-tank rubber seal on the pipe and the back half sheared off? Something like this:tank grommet
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Possumpoint
Explorer
Explorer
So far as I can tell the grommet isn't broken, the cement between them has failed. Am considering disconnecting both black pipes at the valves and attempting to pull the black soil pipe out of the tank. That may/may not work depending on how far around the grommet the cement has failed. If that works, then I can clean both grommets and re-cement.
2003 Artic Fox #1140

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just replace the broken grommet…
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

Possumpoint
Explorer
Explorer
The tank leak discussed in the OP occurs between the white grommet installed inside the tank and another white one the black pipe is inserted in. During construction, the two grommets were pushed one inside the other at the tank wall, the tank outlet. The cement between the two grommets has failed. There is no leakage from the black pipe. I assume the stress of bouncing down the road and operation of the black tank valve are the causes. If you push on the black pipe you can open the gap between the grommets and increase the flow. Otherwise, it's a annoying, smelly drip.

The juncture of the two grommets is raised about 3/8" above the level of the black pipe and the space between the terminal lip on the inside grommet and flange edge on the outside grommet is about 1/8". This presents a rather narrow surface to seal. Once I get it sealed I have to secure the black pipe in such a way to avoid repeating the damage.

Not knowing the composition of the white plastic grommets is causing a problem in knowing what product(s) to use. Any suggestions?
2003 Artic Fox #1140

Jimmie2
Explorer
Explorer
Just fixed a crack in my blank tank last month with the above mentioned ABS repair kit from here. This product was awesome! The worse part of the repair was getting the tank cleaned out and then dried out for 2 weeks before I could apply Plasti-mend.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
tvman44 wrote:
I think Eternabond tape would do the job permanently.

Could be tough using a roller around a pipe :B
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

boosTT
Explorer
Explorer
Magic puddy

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
I think Eternabond tape would do the job permanently.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

sausageking
Explorer
Explorer
I used a marine epoxy to repair my swiming pool were the pump hose conects to the side of the pool. It looks like a puty stick, just break off a piece, nead it together with your hands and work it into the crack even while wet. I bought it at my local hardware store and it held up for a couple seasons.

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
Duct Tape for temp. fix.
ABS repair kit (google it)for perm fix.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
purplepossum wrote:

Like to stop the dripping leak on a short term basis while we're out. Think that this leak is the cause of problems I'm having with tank clogs. Think possibly most of the liquid is leaking and leaving the semi solids behind.

Any suggestion on products that will work under the above
conditions? Looking for a short term repair. Understand that I'll have to fix the problem on a more permanent basis when I return home.

If the leak is between the tank and the dump valve then it could be the problem with tank clogs. X2 on using radiator tape as a temporary fix.

Your dumping method could also be contributing to the problem. I use a clear connection at the end of the sewer pipe and keep flushing through the toilet with a garden hose until I see clear water coming through. Otherwise, you can get 'stuff' caught in the blade valve which will keep it from closing completely.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

minkos61
Explorer
Explorer
There is a product called seal wrap it works on water-hoses and rad hoses so should work for black pipe to. It is sticky backed so cut what you need peel wrap and sticks.
Seal Wrap Tape

Ernie
2002 F350 Super Cab 4x4
2013 Starcraft Travel Star 274RKS
Weekend home to Ernie, Gisele and the fur bearing kids Mya & Bear.
Teddie & Lexi will always travel with us in our memories.