Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black tank stench won't go away

tjw0099
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2017 Jayco 34RSBS.

We have been living in it for the last 20 months while we have been dealing with a house being built.

Within the last 6 weeks, we have had the bad experience of the black tank smell inside the camper. On occasion I can smell it around the front of the camper outside and in the front storage.

I don't know what the issue is.

There is no crack in the tank. I can't find a leak in the camper.

I flush it at least several times when I empty it twice a week.

Has anyone had this issue?

Amy ideas?

Thanks

Tom
The 2006 Jayco Jayflight
7 REPLIES 7

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
If it's at the front, it could also be a bad battery, or even a leaky propane connection.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
A bad or kinked flat seal in the toilet bowl blade valve assembly will stink up the rv as well. Doesnโ€™t take much leakage.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

2edgesword
Explorer
Explorer
Ditto on checking that the black tank roof vent isn't blocked or the pipe from the blank tank to the roof somehow became dislodged. If that vent is blocked every time you flush the toilet the built up gas in the tank will vent into the RV. Cleaning the tank will only solve the issue until the next time someone takes a dump.

capacitor
Explorer
Explorer
Is the toilet a Dometic model 300? Check that the vent pipe has not dropped down. Do this from the roof and pull the cap off to see.

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
tjw0099 wrote:
We have a 2017 Jayco 34RSBS.

We have been living in it for the last 20 months while we have been dealing with a house being built.

Within the last 6 weeks, we have had the bad experience of the black tank smell inside the camper. On occasion I can smell it around the front of the camper outside and in the front storage.

I don't know what the issue is.

There is no crack in the tank. I can't find a leak in the camper.

I flush it at least several times when I empty it twice a week.

Has anyone had this issue?

Amy ideas?

Thanks

Tom

Do you have a tank flush system? Or a flush wand to put down the toilet?

Lotsa flushing, fresh water from a full tank will help. Assuming the trailer hasnโ€™t been moved for some time the last resort might be a cup of Pinesol, along with 10-15 gallons of water and a short road trip to break โ€œthingsโ€ loose.

Same thing happened to me after 6 months parked in a seasonal spot. My plan was to haul it home (400 miles), with Pinesol in the tank, then fill and drain until clean. I traded in the trailer for a new fiver instead. The dealership techs dealt with it.

I bought one of these after a recommendation from an RV tech:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Dual-Flush-Pro-p/11-0342.htm?gclid=CjwKCAjwzMeFBhBwEiwAzwS8zFl52hRBC8gt_gyJ48ynOW36IrmDzBhB54q38xc-SWccj2Mbt7ewDRoCoXQQAvD_BwE

Got mine from Amazon. I like the clear plastic. Iโ€™ve found that it can take 3 full-tank dumps (2 with a filled tank from the tank flush system), to get a nearly clean water dump. No problems with being parked for 6 months of stationary use.

Good luck!
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

canoe_on_top
Explorer
Explorer
If there are no leaks, I would suggest not emptying the tank quite as often. Use lots of water to flush each time and wait until the tank is half or three quarters full before dumping. That allows enough water to accumulate in the tank to break things up and flush more thoroughly. Check the seal at the flush valve. Is the bowl holding water between flushes? Rubbing a toilet brush around that seal and putting a little vasaline on it helps. Assume, since you've been living in it for all this time and it only started recently that you are using sufficient chemicals. Also, might check vent pipe to be sure it's not plugged? Is the bottom of the trailer enclosed? Might be a leak ih the sewer line?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Did you check under the sink(s) for an air admittance valve?
They go bad.