cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boat search is over...

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
It took some time, research and talking to those who know. I came to some concluions and made some changes to my needs and the reality of how I'll use the boat and where.

Deal is not complete but it should wrap up soon. Decided on going to an outboard on a off shore bracket. Found a 2008 Alumaweld Intruder, 20', 200 Merc Optimax and its clean. HOPING it will come in under 5500 lbs or so, guys best guess guess was 5000k wet.

Thanks for all the advice, we'll see if the truck handles it ok in a few weeks!
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.
14 REPLIES 14

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Area13 wrote:
Good choice. I love my Aluminum boat with offshore bracket and outboard. I pull tubes on the lake, fish the ocean, but it really shines in the Puget Sound fishing and crabbing. Nothing like buying new either. I have had a ton of boats over the years (mostly used) and breaking down isn't fun or safe for your family. It's nice knowing what you put in the tank (I use non ethanol only), knowing it isn't getting water logged foam from sitting nose down in the rain for years, maintained properly and just generally cared and rigged the way you want it. And don't forget about the new trailer, with new hubs, wheels, tires and brakes. It only hurts bad once buying new, then it's smooth sailing, IMO. Congrats on the new boat.

Yup! Looked at a lot of junk and over priced used boats. Great points and exactly my line of thinking.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vinsil wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
Nice boat but why pay for a welded jet boat then put an outboard on it? I see a lot set up that way but fail to see the reasoning. Hope you can explain it to me. Congrats on the new toy!!!!

The hull on this is designed for the offshore bracket and outboard. It is not jet sled hull, this has a 16 degree dead rise, 72" bottom and 34" sides, it would not work well in skinny water. It is not an offshore hull, but close. Thunderjet started as a Snake River jet sled company and still offer boats setup that way.

This hull is designed for lakes, the Columbia and big water.

It is how I will use it, I have three lakes within 45 min of me, I'm an hour and a half from Newport and the same from the Columbia. Going to yank the kids around on toys, fish for salmon and halibut and crab.

I went with a welded boat for alot of reasons and mainly...they last, gives me the most versitility for my needs and resale. Sure I'll take a hit but when 10 year old boats are selling for 35k+...with over a 1000 hours, I'll take that hit anyday. Besides, I keep my stuff for a long time and take care of it too. Worth it to me!

OH, ok, looks like a jet boat but not really. But a good solid welded boat that will last you a life time!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Good choice. I love my Aluminum boat with offshore bracket and outboard. I pull tubes on the lake, fish the ocean, but it really shines in the Puget Sound fishing and crabbing. Nothing like buying new either. I have had a ton of boats over the years (mostly used) and breaking down isn't fun or safe for your family. It's nice knowing what you put in the tank (I use non ethanol only), knowing it isn't getting water logged foam from sitting nose down in the rain for years, maintained properly and just generally cared and rigged the way you want it. And don't forget about the new trailer, with new hubs, wheels, tires and brakes. It only hurts bad once buying new, then it's smooth sailing, IMO. Congrats on the new boat.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Supposed to be the best, most have them up here and you see some Honda's too but not like the Yammies.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't see any aluminum boats that size around coastal Texas. Or, I don't anyway. A lot of aluminum boats here used for rivers, lakes, and bays. Most are flat bottom, but a few mod-V's.
I've got 1 aluminum...18x44 GoDevil with B&S 23HP longtail, and one fiberglass...21ft NauticStar ShallowBay with 150 HP Yamaha 4 stroke..love that quiet Yamaha.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
TxGearhead wrote:
You got the right motor!
Is this for salt water or rivers?

Both and lakes too.

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
Nice boat but why pay for a welded jet boat then put an outboard on it? I see a lot set up that way but fail to see the reasoning. Hope you can explain it to me. Congrats on the new toy!!!!

The hull on this is designed for the offshore bracket and outboard. It is not jet sled hull, this has a 16 degree dead rise, 72" bottom and 34" sides, it would not work well in skinny water. It is not an offshore hull, but close. Thunderjet started as a Snake River jet sled company and still offer boats setup that way.

This hull is designed for lakes, the Columbia and big water.

It is how I will use it, I have three lakes within 45 min of me, I'm an hour and a half from Newport and the same from the Columbia. Going to yank the kids around on toys, fish for salmon and halibut and crab.

I went with a welded boat for alot of reasons and mainly...they last, gives me the most versitility for my needs and resale. Sure I'll take a hit but when 10 year old boats are selling for 35k+...with over a 1000 hours, I'll take that hit anyday. Besides, I keep my stuff for a long time and take care of it too. Worth it to me!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thunder Jet makes great boats.
I really like welded boats with 4 stroke outboards.
They are much quieter and better with fuel than jets.
Perfect for lakes and big rivers. Not so good for the rocks.
I have a 2004 Jetcraft I bought used that is going up in value.
I would never buy a new boat because of the big depreciation hit the first few years. Boats are made to be used, and it is hard to take a new boat out and put it through its paces without cringing.
A new boat looks good on you though.

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
You got the right motor!
Is this for salt water or rivers?
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Well....the used boat did not work out.:(

So got fed up and went new. Pick it up next weekend, went with a 2016 Thunderjet 21', loaded it up with options and figured, buy once cry once. LOL!

I'll post pics next weekend.

here it is before it gets rigged up with options!

Kicker, tower, top end Lowrance GPS/Finder/Sonar...boy thought RV's cost a lot....sheesh!

DOITHARD
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! Also looking for a 19 - 20 CC...Boston Whaler.
'12 F450 6.7L, 4x4 Crewcab Longbed Airlift 5000 Stableload Reese 48" ext Torklift Fastguns Blistein 4600 Bigwig Rear Sway Bar.
'16 Lance 1172 Loaded
'16 Haulmark Vnose 20
'12 Range Rover Sport
Honda Rincon 03'
Pol 02' TB 250
Kids: 4,8, 9 & twins 28
Patient wife

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure the Cummins truck will do just fine. Congrats on new boat ๐Ÿ™‚
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a nice boat. Post up some photos when it happens.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010