cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brake Controllers

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Guys, so I took the TT (26', 6000lbs loaded) out for the weekend with the TV (2003 Yukon Xl, 5.3, 3.73 gear). I noticed that the brakes on the trailer were kind of jerking me around at traffic start and stops the controller was set at 20% (Any higher and it is really bad). It is a Hopkins reliance ($70) It it is an electronic adjust with a gradient rate (not much though, 0-5-20). It was fine for what we needed but we are going to the mountains soon and I would like to increase the amount of trailer brake to help me. Are there other variable controllers that are better? Ones that I can increase the trailer brake and have a better grade of increase?

What do you guys set your brake controllers at?

Thanks
Bill
9 REPLIES 9

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
haggus75 wrote:
I have the Primus IQ and it work like a charm...

x2. Used it to replace the 2nd OEM junk TBC.

haggus75
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Primus IQ and it work like a charm...

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Prodigy P2 or P3.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
Doesn't look like too many on here use it- or post about it anyway.

I just did a quick search on here and Curt reflex popped up in 3 posts including this one. prodigy in over 200. Doesn't make it any better, just more popular.

The product info on etrailer.com reads similar to the Prodigy units though.

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone used a curt reflex proportional controller? It seems similar to the p2 prodigy.

tomdinwv
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Prodigy. I have a P2 and love it compared to the 2 time delayed ones in my old trucks. Go with the prodigy. You won't regret it.

Where you set your controller will depend on the situation. Follow the instructions for set up and you'll be okay. Good luck.

Chuck_Gail
Explorer
Explorer
+3 on Prodigy. ALSO much better for emergency braking!
Chuck
Wonderful Wife
Australian Shepherd
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded

Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories

I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
What you want is a proportional/inertia controller rather than the timer based controller.

Tekonsha Prodigy has several good models depending on what features are important to you.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Jerallen
Explorer
Explorer
I use the Prodigy P2
clicky

I'm not familiar with time based controllers.