cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brake Upgrade 2012 F250

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I want to upgrade my brakes for better stopping power and better feel. Any thoughts as to what's the best route? I'm willing to change whatever I need to not just the pads. Thanks
Travis - Houma, LA
2012 Ford F-250 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab FX4
Firestone Riderite Airbags
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide
53 REPLIES 53

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I should have it by next week. Vehicles have always been a love of mine. It's more than just transportation to me. It's like a toy. I don't mind spending the money for a new one.
Travis - Houma, LA
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
travisgsf wrote:
Simply because I want to have a new one. Loved the F250 by the way. That motor is great. Never had a lick of trouble with the truck. Just felt some mushy brakes and it was an excuse to get a new one. Like I said, I get a new one about every 3 years anyway

I guess I will never understand that..

I worked with a guy that said he got "bored" with a vehicle and got new ones every couple of years :h , said he figured he always will have a "payment" so he may as well always have a new vehicle :S ..

I can drive one 20-30 or more years if it doesn't nickle and dime me for repairs since I hate handing my hard earned money over to a bank any more than I have to.

To me the point of a vehicle is to get me from point A to point B without major failures and I never get bored since I do enjoy the scenery as it passes by..

Well, enjoy your new vehicle if you buy it.

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
Simply because I want to have a new one. Loved the F250 by the way. That motor is great. Never had a lick of trouble with the truck. Just felt some mushy brakes and it was an excuse to get a new one. Like I said, I get a new one about every 3 years anyway
Travis - Houma, LA
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
travisgsf wrote:
I've only owned Ford trucks but I'm not one of these ford only guys or GM only. I like all of them. I usually trade every 2-3 years so instead of messing with it I just figured I'd see about a new one.

:h

I am really puzzled as to why someone would continually trade off vehicles in the prime of the vehicles life.

I personally drive them until the wheels fall off then put the wheels back on and repeat that a few times in order to maximize my use for the overall cost of the vehicle.

I have a 2003, 2006 and a 2013 F250s.. DW drives one, I drive one and the 2003 is a spare that gets driven occasionally..

The only one that isn't paid for is the 2013 and it will be paid off in less than a year. I personally can't stand owing banks money and paying interest so I put good size down payments and pay extra towards the principle to pay em off early.. Saves me a bundle of money which gets saved towards the next vehicle purchase (we have gone 4-5 years without any vehicle payments which is sweet!)..

The 2003 has just under 200K miles, only had one recall and has only been the dealer shop once (bad COP)..

2006 has nearly 90K miles and has been flawless up to last winter when it developed a few random problems.. Dealer could not figure it out so I turned to a few Internet searches and FIXED it myself using nothing more than descriptions of the problems as I encountered them..

the 2013 F250 so far has been outstanding other than a quality problem with the back seat upholstery which was fixed (grudgingly under warranty)..

If you like the truck you have why bother trading it when it should be under warranty or like I have mentioned may be a simple fix of removing rust from the brake pads and calipers.. Pretty much worth looking at before committing to a new purchase.

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
travisgsf wrote:
I think I found an easy solution. Looking at trading the truck on a 2015 Sierra HD Denali. It's got new brakes ๐Ÿ™‚

Well played :C
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I've only owned Ford trucks but I'm not one of these ford only guys or GM only. I like all of them. I usually trade every 2-3 years so instead of messing with it I just figured I'd see about a new one.
Travis - Houma, LA
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
shepstone wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
shepstone wrote:
The Super Duty went to larger brakes in 2013 maybe the parts are interchangeable?

Correct.

However do be careful of what you wish for.. Ford did indeed "upgrade" the brakes on the 2013 F250/350.. This was in response to complaints from 2011/2012 owners concerning weak brakes, not feeling strong or rather sluggish..

However driving empty my 2013 brakes are often over the top way to sensitive or "strong" and if you are not careful it is easy to plant your face in the windshield.. Takes a very light foot on the brakes when empty and changing vehicles back and forth can be a bit of a challenge..

Not sure what the changes really are, it could be MC, wheel cylinders, brake pads or rotors.. But something is different from what I have read..

Loaded, they work perfectly fine and respond correctly :h

I don't understand why yours would feel like that, the brakes on mine are probably some of the best that I have used either loaded or empty ,but then I drive a 3500 everyday , is it possible that your trailer brakes need adjusting so you don't have to brake so hard with the truck,??

No, nothing wrong with my trailer brakes, they are well over upgraded when I ran two pairs of 10ga wire from front to axles..

Besides I did mention that my 2013 brakes feel correct when towing and hauling heavy loads in the bed(this summer I made several dozen trips for cement blocks averaging about 2000 lbs each load)..

The problem is when UNLOADED (IE no trailer and no load in the bed). The brakes are very sensitive to the touch, almost too much..

None of my other trucks I have exhibit this behavior at all which I still have a 2003 F250 and a 2006 F250 (so I can EASILY "COMPARE" BRAKE FEEL since I drive any of the three).. Neither the 2003 or the 2006 have this over sensitive touchy feel..

I feel the OPs issue is the brake pads are hanging up from rust in the caliper pad grooves..

I am rather amused that the OPs "solution" is to trade it in on a different brand instead of taking it to a dealer and getting it fixed under warranty (three year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty), a rather expensive "repair" for sure..

Sounds a lot like the OP really wanted the "other" brand.. They ALL break, it might not be the brakes on the other brand but I can assure you that you WILL be getting things fixed on the other one..

Pulling the calipers and filing off rust off the pads costs nothing and does not require a "Masters degree" to do that work..

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2003 SuperDuty F250, and recently started getting some pedal vibration. I went on RockAuto and purchased Wagner's heaviest duty brake pads on sale for $45--for both axles. My front rotors needed turning.

The mechanic didn't want to change my front pads, as they had little wear--Hawk LTS brakes with about 60K miles. When I bought those brakes years ago, the Hawks had the best reputation of any tires for my 3/4 ton truck.

E&B advertises having a extra heavy duty pad and rotor combo, and I'm sure they're good. Most of the other popular brand pad manufacturers have 3 different brakes for 3/4/1 ton trucks for different uses.

If you're towing heavy, I'd tell you to just buy one of the really good brand of brake pads--often better quality than OEM.

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
shepstone wrote:
The Super Duty went to larger brakes in 2013 maybe the parts are interchangeable?

Correct.

However do be careful of what you wish for.. Ford did indeed "upgrade" the brakes on the 2013 F250/350.. This was in response to complaints from 2011/2012 owners concerning weak brakes, not feeling strong or rather sluggish..

However driving empty my 2013 brakes are often over the top way to sensitive or "strong" and if you are not careful it is easy to plant your face in the windshield.. Takes a very light foot on the brakes when empty and changing vehicles back and forth can be a bit of a challenge..

Not sure what the changes really are, it could be MC, wheel cylinders, brake pads or rotors.. But something is different from what I have read..

Loaded, they work perfectly fine and respond correctly :h

I don't understand why yours would feel like that, the brakes on mine are probably some of the best that I have used either loaded or empty ,but then I drive a 3500 everyday , is it possible that your trailer brakes need adjusting so you don't have to brake so hard with the truck,??
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
No never. I would have never thought about doing that honestly.
Travis - Houma, LA
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Has a certified (current and up to date) Master Brake ASE ever looked your rig over?
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I figured I'd just keep the stock setup and have it best for towing
Travis - Houma, LA
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide

Bedlam
Do you realize a GM will require an obscene amount of lift to fit 35's under the square wheel wells? Ford and Ram wheel openings are more friendly to taller tires.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

travisgsf
Explorer
Explorer
I think I found an easy solution. Looking at trading the truck on a 2015 Sierra HD Denali. It's got new brakes ๐Ÿ™‚
Travis - Houma, LA
2013 Open Range RF367BHS
18K Pullrite Superglide