cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brakes

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
Is there a general rule of thumb on how long your electric brakes will last? While regreasing my bearings I inspected my brakes and the shoes, magnets, and drums all look good. A trailer guy told me it's about time to replace. My trailer is 5 years old and has about 12,000 miles on it. Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

wrenchbender
Explorer
Explorer
I do a repack every 3rd year, have about 50k on the shoes and there is about 70% wear still left.But I do a lot of freeway running in Gods country.

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
From past experience after about 15 years the linings come unglued from the shoes. Other than that change em when the lining is worn down. I usually replace the whole backing plate. Get new every thing and start over.

They aren't very expensive which makes that a good way to go.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
From past experience after about 15 years the linings come unglued from the shoes. Other than that change em when the lining is worn down. I usually replace the whole backing plate. Get new every thing and start over.

MVH1
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input. I Asked my local Travel Camp RV Sales and Service Store to do a break inspection for me and there report was they need to be replaced. Long story short is they just needed to be adjusted. I am upset that this was not mentioned as part of the brake inspection. I spent the whole day getting educated on electric drum brakes through a little elbow grease.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
IF I had them open doing the bearings and they were just under half ,I,d do them. shoes or pads are not a big buck item.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
No need to replace brake shoes until worn out------rivets showing, material cracked/flaking or 1/16" thick if bonded.

DO you replace car/truck shoes/pads based ion mileage.......NO

When trailer brake shoes are worn down......then you replace them. In the mean time you manually adjust brake shoes to compensate for wear
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31