cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brophy Heavy Duty Tie Down Brackets

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
I was in desparate need. We just got our new 2014 Ram and could not get Happijac or Torklift tiedowns on it. We are leaving Friday for a two week trip. So I ordered the Brophy HD tie downs, the type that clamp not the type that fit into the holes on the beds rails. I was only going to use the front ones because we could still use the rear Happijac system I took off our old truck.

We lowered the TC into the bed and there was only 4.5 inches clearance between the tie-down point on my Camplite 10.0 and the tie-down point on the Brophy. No turnbuckle that short is strong enough for a TC application.

So I spent yesterday making two front tie-down devices that are attached to the frame right behind the cab area of the truck. Now we can use the turnbuckle from our old Happijac system attached to a chain that comes up from the devices I made.

I have them bolted to the frame in two locations and they do not bend when we tighten-up the turnbuckles. I figure that a little flex might happen when the weight of the TC pulls against them when we drive over something that causes the truck to twist, but that must be OK since the front turnbuckles are spring loaded and allow flex themselves.

I would post pictures tonight, but I know too many will criticize my mechanical skills. They are L-shaped main section attached to the frame of the truck with a diagonal brace (what I fear is the weakest part of the device) to reinforce the L and prevent motion in the upward direction, and another brace that goes from the L to the frame to keep the device from moving forward or backwards. Only time will tell if it holds up. We drive on paved roads only.

Del
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650
4 REPLIES 4

jason4598
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry I shouldn't have assumed the 2500 and 3500 took the same part number.

delosholly
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the Torklift website and when I did their search for 2014 Ram, they said not available.

I did my first test drive with my rig tie-down set-up and it worked really great. I did not notice any side-to-side sway and no light front end like I had on my old truck.

It looks like the 3928 lbs cargo capacity of the Ram will do the job for our TC/trailer combo.
Delos & Holly
2013 Camplite Truck Camper 10.0
2014 Ram 2500 Reg SRW LB
2012 Burgman 650

jason4598
Explorer
Explorer
How come you could not get torklift tiedowns?
I have mine ordered with etrailer, and as far as I know I'll be receiving them soon.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Without pics, to coin a phrase, it didnt happen..
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com