cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

equalizer vs blue ox

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
One more of those repetitive questions. Picking up new trailer this week and need to upgrade my wdh. Which one of the 2 due you prefer. I'm leaning towards the blue ox but the dealer keeps trying to sell me on the equalizer. Just asking for some feed back on these 2 units. Thanks for taking the time.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs
14 REPLIES 14

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I asked the dealer to supply the hitch as part of the trailer deal. He sells Blue Ox. I like the way it works and have had no troubles with it.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Let's us know what you think of it.

I'm looking for a new hitch the blue ox is on top of my list to get.

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
Well I ended up going with the Blue ox. Pick up the new trailer tomorrow and leave Thursday for a 10 day trip with family and friends.i can't wait today I felt like a kid at Christmas.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Sound like the Blue-Ox is the one that will work for you then. This might make it easier.

There is an equalizer weight distribution system
and there is an Equal-i-zer weight distribution system.
Find out from the dealer which equalizer they are offering.

Equalizer is a generic name for an inexpensive weight distribution hitch with an add on of a friction sway control bar. I would take a Blue-Ox over an equalizer any day of the week.

The Equal-i-zer is a named product from Progress mfg. The Equal-i-zer hitch with it's claimed 4-point sway control is fairly easy to spot as it has square weight distribution bars instead of the standard round bars of an equalizer. Whether a Blue-Ox or an Equal-i-zer is better I couldn't tell you.

As others have said the brand name Equal-i-zer is noisy. I will also say that the hitch head is HEAVY, and that is one of your concerns. Based on this criteria it seems like the Blue-Ox is the hands down winner for you.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have an Equalizer and liked it well enough. But I just watched the video for the Blue Ox Sway Pro, and it's impressive. As long as you are confident in its ability to stop sway (I have no experience with it), the Blue Ox setup and usage do look easier and cleaner than the Equalizer.

Currently I use an Anderson, because my latest trailer is so small (my EQ bars were too heavy duty).
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

AlbertaNewbie
Explorer
Explorer
Blue ox, simple, clean, quiet and built way better than the others.
2014 Dutchmen 261bhs - 7200#'s loaded
2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab w/5.7L HEMI, 4x4 3.55 Gears
250w Conergy 250P 24v solar with tristar 45amp mppt charge controller

lushy
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the Blue Ox SwayPro. It is super quiet like people mentioned and also very easy to set up and use. Heard good things about the Equalizer but my vote is for the Blue Ox. Good luck!
2011 Jayco Jay Feather Select 29L, Blue Ox Sway Pro
2007.5 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel, Air Lift

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the replies leaning towards the blue ox
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
we had an Equalizer on our HTT and now a Blue Ox 1000 on our TT. DH much prefers the Blue Ox. Least important is that it's much quieter than the Eq. More important is that we're pretty well into the AARP crowd and finding that neither of us has the strength or lifting power we had 30 years ago....imagine that!! DH used to do all the hookup, but it's becoming part of my job to help out. I could not begin to lift the bars for the Eq, but the Ox is much lighter weight. He also liked that there are grease fittings. If you haven't already done so, check out the videos on the Blue Ox website. Good information and demonstrations....sold him. There was about $50 difference in price - think the Eq was slightly less.

The Eq did an excellent job on our HTT for the almost 8 seasons we had it. No complaints other than the noise, dirty and heavier. Either one is good.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
The Blue Ox is simple, clean, quiet, and effective. From what I've seen, equalizer doesn't interest me. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

jujububbajr
Explorer
Explorer
I've used both. I would get an Equalizer.
2004 Ram 3500 2wd Dually
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
I have only used an Equalizer, and am very satisfied with it's performance.

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
The Equalizer 4 point is my fav towing my 30 ft TT. I have used most all of them in the 50 plus yrs towing. I also have the Hensley which I did not like. The Blue Ox is one I have never tried or used
samsontdog:o:W

memgrove
Explorer
Explorer
I am an equalizer advocate. It has fewer parts and steps to deal with while hitching / unhitching every time. We have had a Reese dual cam, an Andersen, and the Equalizer 4 point. The equalizer is my favorite.
Mike
2006 Chevy 2500 4X4 crew cab Gasser
2013 Dutchmen Denali 311 BHS (Love the trailer HATE the manufacture!)