cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Build my TV

bc-00044
Explorer
Explorer
Upgrading from a 27'TT to a 41' 5er. Obviously now also need to trade in my TV for something more capable.
Relying on the collective wisdom of this group for guidance. I do not have any strong brand loyalty beyond american made -- concerned about driving experience, ride comfort, towing capacity for the quoted trailer, and reliability. Make your proposals.
Pretty well set on a diesel, but convince me if I am wrong.
Trailer is 40' UVW 14344 lbs
67 REPLIES 67

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
bc-00044 wrote:
Upgrading from a 27'TT to a 41' 5er. Obviously now also need to trade in my TV for something more capable.
Relying on the collective wisdom of this group for guidance. I do not have any strong brand loyalty beyond american made -- concerned about driving experience, ride comfort, towing capacity for the quoted trailer, and reliability. Make your proposals.
Pretty well set on a diesel, but convince me if I am wrong.
Trailer is 40' UVW 14344 lbs

What's the GVWR...I would guess 17-18k. (empty weight is pointless as you aren't going to travel with an empty trailer) That suggests a pin weight of 3500-4000lb. Is it a toy hauler? Those often have pretty large payload capacities.

Even at the lower end, you are in 1 ton dually minimum territory and being from Denver, the high altitude advantage of a turbo along with exhaust braking recommends a diesel.

Any late model will do the trick. (10-15yr old trucks may not be capable but it sounds like you are going new, so that may not be relevant)

You might also want to look into some of the 450/4500 models but the line has gotten blurry with the 1 ton capabilities climbing substantially.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Why go small with the 1 tons? If your going to go big, go big.

https://fifthwheelst.com/heavy_duty_trucks_hdt_towing_rv.html
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
RAM HD's are "Assembled" in Mexico with mostly US Made components.

Ford's Diesel is Made In Mexico.

Guess you need to look into GM's total content.

Right now, the GM with Duramax is a great choice! Either of the others, a good choice, the Mexican made/assembled, not really an issue IMO.

Jerry

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
100% go diesel. DRW vs SRW is TBD. I'd go DRW FWIW.
Any of today's diesels will tow that size 5er all day without breaking a sweat.
Whats different is the interiors and the ride.
Best to drive all 3 on a long drive vs the short route dealers like to take you on.

p220sigman
Explorer
Explorer
Only you can decide since most of your requirements are subjective. Any of the big 3's 3500/350 series DRW diesels will work. I'd decide on which options aren't "optional" and drive each one. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them as far as reliability goes.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
RAM HD's are "Assembled" in Mexico with mostly US Made components.

Ford's Diesel is Made In Mexico.

Guess you need to look into GM's total content.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Any of the big three one ton dual rear wheels will work.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
2021 Sierra Denali 3500 Crew cab with Duramax dual-rear wheels, with Technology package, gooseneck / 5th wheel prep, trailer tire pressure monitor sensors. Assembled in Flint, MI.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS