cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bumper hitch removal

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
A friend reported that he had been told by a cop that it was illegal to leave his ball hitch in the receiver when he was NOT towing. That he needed to remove it.

Anyone ran into this? Or, was it a cop just ranting?
21 REPLIES 21

SilverEscape
Explorer
Explorer
We always remove ours when not towing. I believe it's illegal where I am in Canada thought not enforced. I actually thought it had to do with safety in a collision as it changes the way the forces are distributed since someone is no longer hitting your bumper that is designed to take the force. While I don't want people rear ending me, I also don't want to cause more injury to them if they should hit me, assuming I'm correct in the reasoning.

Edit: hard to find the info here but may be only if illegal if it sticks out more than 8ish inches.
2015 Jayco X213
2014 Ford F-150 Platinum EcoBoost

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
I do not normally have my WDH in the receiver unless we are on a "trip". Even then, I sometime take it out, because it rattles when the trailer is not attached. Having said this....

If I hit my shin on my hitch, it is because I forget it was there, If YOU hit your shin on my hitch...YOU ARE WALKING WAY TO CLOSE TO MY TRUCK.

steve-n-vicki
Explorer
Explorer
I drove almost the length of Illinois from south to north with my hitch installed and not one did one of the many state police or LEO that I encountered said anything to me about it, might be because it legal in my state to leave it in

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
in California it is illegal to leave the hitch in why i know this is because a friend got a ticket for it when he was on vacation out there he left the camp ground to go fill up the truck and got pulled over for the hitch it cost him 100 dollars at the time
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
What about every time you go to pick up a trailer from storage, or on the way home after dropping it off?

Personally mine comes off when I am not in the immediate need of using it. But I have rear sensors and it can affect those to the point of disabling them.

But I wouldn't be tossing it in the back of the truck for the run to/from storage.

garyindaupeh
Explorer
Explorer
According to my research a resolution was submitted in the Michigan House requiring hitches to be removed when not actually being used for towing. It however went nowhere. I guess the others in the House of Representatives realized what a "Bone Headed" proposal it was! I can't imagine having to remove my hitch every time I unhitch.
2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
2013 Keystone Cougar 21RBS

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
Police Officer in Texas for over 20 years and have never heard of this. Not to say it's not there but I know I would never give a ticket for it or even initially pull someone over for it. I guess I need to do some research. Whatever I find I know I will not be enforcing it. Not an issue and never has been for me. And I've cracked my shins too many times to count, on mine and others.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

_tpc_
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like maybe the officer wanted another reason to stop him, and this was the easiest choice.

I live in michigan and if I had a dollar for every hitch ball left in the hitch I'd be a rich man.

I think most use it as a deterrent for tailgators and to protect the back of their vehicle somewhat in case of an accident.

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard talk of them trying to make it a law in PA. I don't see what the big deal is. If your going to rear end me then you deserve to have a ball with an 8" shank driven into your engine block!!
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
so, a bike carrier is ok,but not a hitch ball??
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Same laws in areas of Canada. Never seen or heard of it being enforced but I'm pretty sure my Hensley stinger would raise some eyebrows if left in the receiver. It's lethal looking.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
tie a red flag on it (or red ball) and that should meet the requirements.
bumpy

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks.....In PA they can always claim the concealed plated rule. I sure bet that trooper could use that 2" obstruction if they wanted to.

Then again, my WDH has a 5" drop, so the ball is less of a fear for me then the SMOKED plate cover I have over it.

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Nice to see someone interested enough to research the facts. It's a state law which, of course varies from state to state. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I have heard of it before but didn't know which states have it on their books.