cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bunk bed rails for young kids

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering what some have come up with for a solution for a safety rail for the bunk beds for young kids. My kids are ok for bunk beds but all the ones you get for the stick house have rails. None of the TT bunks have rails. I would like to find a nice solution. I have considered building my own but I was hoping someone may have already come up with a good solution.
2006 Ram 3500 Megacab Cummins
2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS
35 REPLIES 35

mattstorey
Explorer
Explorer
Really a very interesting thread here to read. I really hope the bunk bed rails for the kids would be like a similar style that the toddler beds that would compensate. In that way, things would work out in a lot of ways in this one. I think that reading this one would help us out for the future on what you would do. Thanks for this one. I hope that everything is well.

StaceyE
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to add a bedrail to our new trailer because the bunks are open all along one side. We didn't use one in the old trailer because the bunks were tucked next to the bathroom. Our girls are older, so the baby section at Walmart is out because they would NOT want to sleep on those bars under the wimpy bunkbed mattresses. We found this at ikea and it works perfectly. It's just big enough to keep from kids from rolling of the beds but doesn't get in the way of anything. Probably not the best solution for a younger child but works really well for our girls.
Tom and Stacey
DD Nikki (14) and Kate (9)
Wrigley, our big black dog

DaDubs
Explorer
Explorer
steeleshark wrote:
phenrichs wrote:
Wondering what some have come up with for a solution for a safety rail for the bunk beds for young kids. My kids are ok for bunk beds but all the ones you get for the stick house have rails. None of the TT bunks have rails. I would like to find a nice solution. I have considered building my own but I was hoping someone may have already come up with a good solution.

I just went with the walmart solution in the baby section. It goes under the mattress for the support.

x2
2013 Ford F150 Ecoboost
2012 Keystone Passport 2910BH
Chris, Kyla, Brooke(daughter, 20), Griffin(son, 7), Maddie (daughter, 5),Boozer(14 yr old Shih-Tzu)

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up a couple of the fold down ones from a local store and they worked great.

mattstorey
Explorer
Explorer
These are really good sources in order that you would be able to see what you can do best for your kids bed and other furniture and accessories for that vehicle. In that way, you would be able to know what to do and what you would be able to make things work out in the long run. I really hope all for the best in this one. Thanks and hope everything would be great.

Ray55
Explorer
Explorer
I went to a hardware store and purchased a closet rod. Cut it to leangth. Mounted the closet rod hardware to the campers walls. The kids climb up and over or you can take it down have the child get in then drop into place.

I often use the bunk to hold clear plastic containers for storeage while traveling. They never move with the rod in place.

I used white metal rods but ou could get a wooden rod and stain/paint to suit. The brackets come in a couple of colors. I would not use a plastic braket get one made of metal.
US Army Retired X 2 (Both wife and I)
2012 North Trail TT 30QOK
2005 Dodge deisel 2500 HD, shortbed, 6 speed manual, Equalizer Hitch, Warn Winch, highlift jack, Honda Gen Set, Winona Canoe

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not just for kids. I know a friends son that drank too much and fell from the top bunk in his Class c. (you know the one above the cab)This is about a 5 foot fall. Thankfully he was only 25 so he didn't get hurt but, he sure was stiff and sore the next day when he woke up on the floor. (and hungover) I don't drink much but, it makes me nervous to even look at those top bunks. I'd rather sleep on the floor.

anaro
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some old threads on bed rails with some really good ideas.

Bed rail thread 1

bed rail thread 2

bed rail thread 3
2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2014 Palomino Sabre 34REQS -
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL - sold in 2014

tgr2975
Explorer
Explorer
We have used something like this in the past - http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dream-On-Me-Safety-Bed-Guard-in-Blue/19201916

We still have it in the RV just in case it is needed for a guest.
2011 Tiffin Allegro 35 QBA
2008 Brookside 298 FWBHS (Sold)

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
In my prior rig, I went with a piece of 1 x 4 sanded and smoothed, stained to match the rest of the woodwork in the coach, then mounted with 8" L brackets if I remember right screwing down to the deck under the matress. It was sturdy enough that the kids could use it as a grab bar to climb up into the bunk. I think I spent maybe $10 for each bunk.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

NJ6PACK
Explorer
Explorer
This is what I did when my twins were small

As they got bigger this is what we are doing now

2007 Max Lite ML28 RS
1999 Ford E 350 Super Duty 15 Passenger Ext Van
6.8L V10 / 3.73 Gears

bobbyg123
Explorer
Explorer
For me, the simple solution was the best. I picked up a couple of smooth, very thin (maybe 1/4") pieces of luan at Home Depot, and I'll be darned if they didn't work perfectly. I simply slide them in place, and they almost make a friction seal when our children are up there sleeping. Sounds crazy easy, I know; but there is no beating our system. When they're awake, the boards fit right under the mattress. When it's time for bed, I slide the boards between the mattress and the frame and the kids are secure. I've gone up on the top bunk and tried to roll through them, and I can't.

This will obviously only work if you've got enough frame depth to sink them in. In our case, the boards slide down a good 4" and there's virtually no play in them at all.
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS
2017 Ford F-350 CC 6.2L

wa_desert_rat
Explorer
Explorer
When we were sailing a lot we used "lee cloths" on our bunks to keep the sleeper in; trust me, it was necessary as sometimes you'd wake up with your hands clutching the mattress just to keep you down. LOL

What we did was take a piece of canvas about 4' lont and 3' wide. We secured the bottom under the edge of the mattress back about 4" using screws with wide washers. We installed grommets on the corners of the cloth and had small lines (ropes) leading to secure tiedowns wherever we could find them. Usually screwed stainless steel tie downs in.

We tried to set them up so that the lee cloth top edge was closer to the sleeper than the bottom so that the sleeper could "snuggle" up to the cloth and put pillows between his/her body and the bulkhead to make it even more secure.

When we didn't need them the canvas lee cloths stowed flat under the mattress out of sight and out of the way.

Many thousands of miles with this system. Cheap and easy.

Craig

Chromag
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our first TT a little over a month ago. My kids seemed excited about it. We've been looking for almost three years. We've been out twice so far and they've loved it. They keep asking where were going next and when.

That said - I've been wondering about the rail as well. My oldest that sleeps on the top bunk is 9 so I'm not sure he would be a fan of the toddler rail. We have "safety stairs" so those would break his fall (ouch) ๐Ÿ™‚

Congrats on the new TT!
2012 Crossroads Z-1 271BH
2004 Nissan Armada with Blue Ox BXW1500, Prodigy P3

phenrichs
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all. That is what I was leaning toward but wanted to see what others had found to be a good solution. Now I have to figure out what to use for a ladder on the flip up bunk. the one from campingworld looks good, found the same ladder on ebay for a little less. will have to see. We pick up the new TT next saturday form the dealer. Pretty exciting although I don't think I am half as excited as my kids. They are totally revved up for bunk beds.