cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bunkhouse + Outdoor Kitchen + Short +Storage = Fantasyland

OutsideMomma
Explorer
Explorer
We went from a tent to a tent trailer and now want to go to a hard-sided unit.

We do spend most of our time camping outside of the camper - even cooking. We don't camp many places where rain is common, so, while we want a dinette, it could double as our bed or be a smaller size. Really, all we need inside is sleeping space for four, storage for their stuff and a dinette. It would be nice if we could, in a pinch, squeeze in six folks so the kids could bring friends. We did see a plan for a teardrop that was basically a rolling bunk bed. We don't quite want that cramped! If I had a choice of the kids sharing a bed or having separate, small bunks, I'd pick the small bunks.

Required luxuries are few - a fridge (not an icebox!) and heat. I'd rather have more internal storage - or a shorter RV - than any sort of bathroom. We don't want a TV either. I'd certainly not shun a camper with a TV as we can take it out. We don't generally camp anywhere that it's hot enough that we'd want an air conditioner. In fact, having a unit would probably be more of a nuisance.

You may have noticed that I haven't mentioned a kitchen! I LOVE to cook at camp and I have some great gear to do it. My dream camper would have a awesome outside kitchen with lots of storage for pots, pans, cutlery, cooking utensils, spices, food, etc. A small stove that can store away, leaving me counter space would be ideal. On short trips, I'd use that stove. On longer trips, I'd bring my 3-burner Camp Chef beast and set it up in reach of the built-in chuck box. It's possible that a camper has something that wasn't intended to be an outdoor kitchen that I could turn into one. I could make due with completely setting up an outdoor kitchen away from the camper when we camp for longer times - using an awning, chuck box and the like. But, I'd really like to shave setup time and not have to dig a bunch of items out of the truck. Setup and tear-down time translates into hassle that translates into fewer camping trips! Maybe if I could use the on-board storage to store the chuck-box, that would help, but being able to just shut the door is the quickest possibility!

Our tow vehicle is a full-sized truck, so towing capacity is not our limiting factor. However, we want something small - no more than a 21' box. Smaller yet would be even better.

Price is a concern. Now, we don't have to spend just $1,000, but we sure don't want to spend $20,000 either. Getting something used would suit us fine. Getting something 40+ years old is fine, as is getting something brand-spanking new.

But, I am quite overwhelmed at the options out there. Wow! I can't even wrap my head around all of the NEW options that I can find on manufacturer's web sites - or even all of the manufacturers. And, I can find even less on older models - even from last year. Below are what I've managed to scrounge up so far. What other ideas do you have?

1. Rpod 182g
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=173&ShowParent=1&ModelID=976#Main
Win on many fronts. Has bunks and an outside garage kitchen. But, it's outfitted more like a tailgating getup or for people who don't camp for more than one night. Storage inside is lacking and the rear garage is geared for TV-viewing parties, not Dutch Oven cooking.

2. Cruiser RV Fun Finder
http://www.cruiserrv.com/products-2015/fun-finder/floor-plans/item/f-189fds-2015
Fails on the outdoor kitchen front. The "pass-thru" storage could be outfitted with some drawers and such, but it'd be small.

3. Old Camper
Some old camper models have a double bunk in addition to a dinette. In some, there's a large exterior drop-door that accesses the room under the bunk. So, it's possible to build in a chuck-box there and setup the outdoor cooking nearby. The disadvantage of this is that lots of these older RVs are beat up and have an ice box fridge. I'd rather have a 3-way fridge! Now, we could install one, but, the more we have to do to get the camper to fit us, the less appealing it becomes.

4. Viking 17BH
http://www.coachmenrv.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=64&ModelID=307#Main
A win on many fronts. It's got a small permanent dinette that can be made into a bed for visiting guests. It's got a pantry. However, it's a complete failure on the outdoor kitchen front. It's a little light on storage for personal gear, but some of that can be addressed by putting in shelves in the bunks. The side door that accesses the back bunk sure is interesting. I guess I could store my chuck box in there during travel, but, again, that's more fuss.

5. Salem 174BH, 175BH, 195BH
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=170&Image=5063&ShowParent=1&ModelID=728#Main
Much like the Viking above. Floor plan suits and meets the optional requirement of sleeping guests. But, again, a complete dud on the outdoor kitchen front.
17 REPLIES 17

OutsideMomma
Explorer
Explorer
After much research and refining of our wish list, here's the current order of preference.

1. Keystone Hideout 175LHS
2. Viking 18BH
3. Coachmen Clipper 18BH

All have good access to the storage under both beds. The Keystone is 1' wider, so has a larger dinette. If we get it, we'll be adding an extra window in the upper bunk and an outdoor shower.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There is more to the hybrid that bed than temperature control. Packing up when wet? Sleeping on the road?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

OutsideMomma
Explorer
Explorer
danimal53 wrote:

shorter when closed up, generally yes. what ruled them out for me were the same concerns you had, extra setup time, can't pack everything straight into beds. Also, we have stayed a few times at rest areas or close to highways while on the road, I can't imagine doing that in a hybrid as the noise would definitely keep me up.

I read where someone was concerned about not looking like they're camping. A parked camper could be someone using the facilities or shopping at the store. A camper with slide-outs or tip-outs in play is clearly settled in for a bit. Some places don't mind the parking for a while too much, but very much dislike the lived-in look on their property.

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
OutsideMomma wrote:
APT wrote:
Only choose a hybrid if you want to sleep under canvas, similar to a tent. There are similarly weighing TTs for similar pricing and features.

We don't mind sleeping under canvas. It is colder, but I can work around that. I've never been too cold in our tent trailer and I'm often too cold. (I have a panel heater on under my desk right now!) Running the heater and some awesome blankets have served us well.

A hybrid is shorter for the equivalent sleeping space, right?

shorter when closed up, generally yes. what ruled them out for me were the same concerns you had, extra setup time, can't pack everything straight into beds. Also, we have stayed a few times at rest areas or close to highways while on the road, I can't imagine doing that in a hybrid as the noise would definitely keep me up.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

OutsideMomma
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Only choose a hybrid if you want to sleep under canvas, similar to a tent. There are similarly weighing TTs for similar pricing and features.

We don't mind sleeping under canvas. It is colder, but I can work around that. I've never been too cold in our tent trailer and I'm often too cold. (I have a panel heater on under my desk right now!) Running the heater and some awesome blankets have served us well.

A hybrid is shorter for the equivalent sleeping space, right?

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

OutsideMomma
Explorer
Explorer
OP here...

Based on the recommendations here, I've been looking at some hybrid models and I'm not sure I'm sold. In a travel trailer, I envision being able to nearly 100% move into the TT in the driveway. I imagine having DH build shelves over the kids' bunks for their luggage and treasures. I'd like to have them put those things there - on those shelves - in our driveway. (DH may have to build in some sort of fiddle or bungee system to prevent shifting.) I plan on having their pillows, sleeping bags, blankets and precious stuffed critters ride to camp on their bunks. For DH and I, I figure on it being the same. Our luggage is stowed (on a new shelf or where ever) and our bed is pretty much made. So, when we arrive, I back in, drop the trailer, hook up utilities and we're done. We can go to bed right then - even without the dropping or hooking up! (Yes, my outdoor kitchen may require some setup, but I could do that the next day or skip it on a short trip.) With a hybrid, we not only have to drop the beds (which seems rather quick), but, then do a bit of getting stuff from the truck and moving in like we have to do currently with our tent trailer. And, that's the reason we're changing campers. Of course, I can plan ahead and ensure that first night stuff is at the back of the truck, but, now, that's more planning and complication.

Thoughts?

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
also, I love that 184BH layout, looks super spacious and I wish I would have seen it before we got our clipper. However, not sure how my wife would feel about the table/bed since it's not a real mattress. One thing we wanted was a legitimate bed rather than just cushions. But the dinette with the couch combo looks great

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Coachmen Clipper 17BH, which is the same as the Viking 17BH you mention. I would love an outdoor kitchen as well, and I'm considering different ways to make it happen. I may build some sort of slide-out tray type thing that fits in the pass through. This will have a cooktop/campstove and some kind of sink. Problem is, its right next to the awning arm, so not sure if that would be in the way.

i would recommend getting the upgrade with the outdoor shower. i also want to add one of these, for rinsing gear, washing dogs, rinsing sand off, etc.

good luck in your search! it seems to really get everything you want you'll have to modify something, which is certainly not uncommon!

Dream_Girl
Explorer
Explorer
OutsideMomma wrote:
It looks like you mean the 184BH, right?

That looks like a lovely fit on the inside! Does that couch fold out into a wider bed?

Yes, 184BH, not RB - good catch!

The small couch doesn't fold into a bed, but you can mod it if you wish.
You can also fit an adult on the floor (if you need an extra bed), legs under the dinette for maximum comfort, now I know it's sound crazy, but we did it once with a family guest (17 old), and he slept like a bear ๐Ÿ™‚

I Also wish to mention that you can take the table outdoor if need be
The door is in the front and no closet/wardrobe/cabinet next to the seating area - that give a feeling of a VERY open space - room to breathe, you can't get that impression from a web pic.

About Hybrids...
The ends beds on the Hybrids are always 18" shorter then the Rv unit.
so make sure you are comfortable with the beds length on a narrow floorplans (side to side)
The 184BH is only 7 feet wide, but has a VERY good size beds (on all of them)
A Girl vs RV world - I know I can do this!
2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon +
2015 Jayco SLX 184BH + Andersen No Sway WDH

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
We basically did what you are doing, went from tent to popup to hybrid and now travel trailer. The hybrid will get you all things a travel trailer has but in a shorter trailer. You can use the dinette and such with the beds folded up. The reason we moved to hardside was the time involved in setup and teardown. Kid is off to college and just the wife and dogs left. We really enjoyed the hybrid just look over the bunkends well, they are know to leak.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
There are many portable outdoor kitchen options that don't rely on an RV being present. Maybe one of those could be stored on the back bumper or in the back of the truck...

Outdoor Camp Kitchen Plans

It's easy to convert a dish tub or bucket into a functional sink. It's also easy to cut a hole in a table or countertop to make your "sink" sit flush. There have been many creative posts here over the years. I too like the idea of an outdoor kitchen, but have managed to live without one being built in just fine.

My floorplan easily sleeps six while still providing amenities like a bathroom and air conditioning. Extra storage is handled in Tupperware containers stored on the bunk over the main bed. Just thoughts...
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you like the beds your pop up then you will love a hybrid...the beds tip out...they do not slide in and take up interior space when folded up for travel.

You have full use of the inside of your Hybrid when the beds are folded up.

Thanks and good luck

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

OutsideMomma
Explorer
Explorer
Hornnumb2 wrote:
Is a hybrid out of the question?

Is a hybrid one where it has pop-up style slide-outs or tip-outs?

If so, then I'm not sure. So far, I've avoided them, but here's why. With our pop-up, we cannot pack into the camper. The slide-out dinette and beds and tip-out kitchen pack into the interior space. So, we have to pack into luggage, bins, coolers, etc., load those into the truck, then load them into the camper once we setup camp. And coming home is the reverse. All that translates into touching each item six or more times per trip. And, all that fuss and bother diminishes our excitement about going in the first place. We're loving the idea of packing the camper out directly in the driveway and being setup and torn down at camp in minutes.

Those features of our current pop-up also mean the inside is inaccessible once we break camp. So, if we want to stop on the way home and have lunch, I have to plan ahead and pull out items that live in the camper (paper plates, utensils, salt, etc.) and be sure to pack the coolers and food at the rear of the truck. And, any items that belong on the camper (salt, extra plates, utensil boxes) have to make their way back into the camper. So, when we get home, we have to either pop up the camper to put them back or store them in a "put back into camper next time" bin in the garage. This dance is not fun and means we eat out more often than we'd like when we're en route. With the interior accessible, I could even see using it as a home base on a short day trip!

So, I think any design that involves beds (or whatever) that slide in and significantly impede internal use or packing of the camper are absolutely out. But, I think we're willing to consider designs where they don't. Several designs in consideration have short hard-sided slide-outs, usually in the dinette. We could still easily pack and use the campers with these designs. DH isn't too excited about climbing over a dinette to get into bed (as I've seen in some designs), but everything is a trade-off, right? If it was 100% perfect otherwise, he'd climb!