cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buyer's remorse??

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I'm totally new to this site and RVING. Hubby is in the Navy and got orders to Virginia...we decided to take advantage of living on the other side of the country by traveling to all the neat places we've heard about. So buying a TT seemed like a no-brainer. We looked at everything from Class C to fifth wheel to ultralights. We decided to get a light TT so we didn't have to upgrade our vehicle. We have a 1500 suburban with a tow package that can pull 8100 pounds.

So after a year of looking we were in between the Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR or 34BHPR The bunk house and outdoor kitchen were requirements and both have them. So after a lot of thinking we picked the 34BHPR because it has more interior storage and we liked the kitchen layout with the island. (This was a really hard choice because the other model has an exterior door to the bathroom and it's 500 pounds lighter because it only has 2 slides we thought that was great too.) So, we put our down payment down and we are waiting for them to do the do the walk through with us next week when we take it home.

Now I'm waking up at night worried we picked the wrong one because of the island. I hadn't seen the inside with the slides pulled in until the day we bought it. When the slides are in you can't get to anything because the slides pull right up to the island and you would have to climb over it to get to the bunk house. And getting to anything in the kitchen or storage under the table isn't possible with slides in. So you can only get to the bathroom and master bedroom with slides in.

Is this going to be a big deal??? We are in Virginia and are planning on going all the way up to Maine and down to the Florida Keys. I'm scared I'll hate that I can't get to our stuff on long hauls. We usually pack a road trip cooler in the car when we travel so hubby doesn't think we'll need anything from the trailer when we're on the road. But I don't know since we're new to this. Please give me advice. I can still change my mind and buy the 31BHPR that doesn't have an island...the dealer will be mad...but we haven't signed on the dotted line yet. Thanks in advance for your help!
163 REPLIES 163

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Gambit80 wrote:
djsamuel wrote:
Campers like the one my wife and I have may not be ideal, but can handle 2 to 3 kids and the parents, while being very light. We have the camper below and tow it easily with a Ram 1500. Now it is smaller than you were looking for, but certainly more than a pop up. The two bunks and the dinette/bed can handle the kids with the queen bed for the parents.

Even if the Camplite is not for you, there are other similar alternatives.

Camplite 21BHS

I'll second the floorplan above. We first camped in a 2008 Keystone 19FLB, which is a similar floorplan with two 11 year old twin boys at the time. They always had at least one friend or cousin with them and we made it work. We did buy used and small as it was our first camper.

We got plenty of use out of it before finally upgrading this past summer. It can work with a small floorplan and still be fun.

I grew up camping in a small truck camper with 3 of us kids, 2 parents, and a minimum of 2 dogs at any given time. The youngest slept on the loveseat, the oldest and I slept in a fold out bunk above the dinette, and our parents slept in the cabover. The dogs slept on the floor.

Now, we were camping not RVing, so during the day we were outside, but I don't have any bad memories about those trips.

While separate beds are nice, when you're camping, having that warm body next to you can chase away the boogie man. Or at least you can throw your sibling at him so you can run away...

With the camplite, you could easily put 2 or 3 little ones on the bunks. Then move the oldest onto the couch in a sleeping bag. After that, they'd probably prefer to go sleep in a tent.

Oh, and as a middle child, I'll second the comments on 3 kids. It changes the dynamics so much. I've always said if you're going to have 3 kids, just go ahead and have 4 instead. With 3, there is always a "leftover" and that is most often the easy going child (who may be easy going but will never forget all the times you did). With 4, you regain the equilibrium. And after 4, there are always multiple kids being "leftover" so they don't really notice it.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
You could fit 3 kids, the two of you and a couple of dogs just fine into one of those rear slide models people are talking about. Especially while the kids are young. You'd have a large king bed to sleep on that pops out of the back and they could have the bunkhouse with four separate bunk beds up front.

Well hold on here a minute ... that Outback Terrain doesn't offer 4 bunk beds at the front, in fact I'd question whether there are any being made these days. Quite a few years ago KZ did have a quad bunk bed rear glide but they were discontinued long ago and in fact KZ discontinued rear glide models entirely. Any I know of being manufactured these days will have a double bunk bed arrangement at the front and although the bottom bunk in some specific models may be wide enough to accommodate 2 young kids bunk beds in general are intended for just one person each. If the OP wants a really nice triple bunk bed mid size trailer they should be able to tow with their Sub they need look no further than the KZ Spree 240BHS, the slide version of the trailer I owned myself. Friends of ours who are experienced campers and have owned 8 trailers over the years have always said their 240 was the best trailer they ever owned. Another great option would be the Spree Connect C250BHS which features 2 double bunk beds - talk about the option to accommodate more kids as your family grows! :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Gambit80
Explorer
Explorer
djsamuel wrote:
Campers like the one my wife and I have may not be ideal, but can handle 2 to 3 kids and the parents, while being very light. We have the camper below and tow it easily with a Ram 1500. Now it is smaller than you were looking for, but certainly more than a pop up. The two bunks and the dinette/bed can handle the kids with the queen bed for the parents.

Camplite 21BHS

I'll second the floorplan above. We first camped in a 2008 Keystone 19FLB, which is a similar floorplan with two 11 year old twin boys at the time. They always had at least one friend or cousin with them and we made it work. We did buy used and small as it was our first camper.

We got plenty of use out of it before finally upgrading this past summer. It can work with a small floorplan and still be fun.
Me(40), DW(40), DS(21), DS(21)
2015 Forest River Salem 26TBUD
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 QC, 5.9 CTD

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Cecilt wrote:
I would seriously consider the rear slide bed. They might seem attractive from a length to tow perspective but climbing over each other or having no floor space next to the bed gets old quick. There are PLENTY of TT's that are 32' or less that have dry weights between 5000 and 5500 lbs. I would look for one with the traditional queen up front and rear beds(does not need to be a bunk house). Look at Keystone Passports, Rockwood Signature Ultralights, Keystone Cougars and Outbacks etc. Tons and tons of TT's to google out there. We towed and 29' 5000lb dry Keystone PAssport TT with a Ford Expedition with no problems and that is a shorter wheelbase then the Suburban. Get a Equalizer 4 point hitch and you will be fine with the above length and weights.

did you mean to say "reconsider"? the only issue I have with that camplite is no vanity/sink in the bathroom. I'd prefer the 21 rBS myself, if you can put two kids on the sofabed.

bumpy

Cecilt
Explorer
Explorer
I would seriously consider the rear slide bed. They might seem attractive from a length to tow perspective but climbing over each other or having no floor space next to the bed gets old quick. There are PLENTY of TT's that are 32' or less that have dry weights between 5000 and 5500 lbs. I would look for one with the traditional queen up front and rear beds(does not need to be a bunk house). Look at Keystone Passports, Rockwood Signature Ultralights, Keystone Cougars and Outbacks etc. Tons and tons of TT's to google out there. We towed and 29' 5000lb dry Keystone PAssport TT with a Ford Expedition with no problems and that is a shorter wheelbase then the Suburban. Get a Equalizer 4 point hitch and you will be fine with the above length and weights.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad

Camplite 21BHS

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:
You could fit 3 kids, the two of you and a couple of dogs just fine into one of those rear slide models people are talking about. Especially while the kids are young. You'd have a large king bed to sleep on that pops out of the back and they could have the bunkhouse with four separate bunk beds up front. In between you have your bathroom, kitchen, a dinette and a sofa. Between now and when it starts to feel tight as the kids get older you could upgrade the Suburban into a heavy duty crew cab truck and then the trailer/fifth wheel world would be wide open. Don't be afraid of buying used on Craigslist or rvtrader. I recently bought a used fifth wheel and I can tell you from experience that you'll have a lot of very affordable options in your part of the country that will be a lot cheaper than anything comparable you can find out west.

As an aside, a third baby is a game changer so proceed with caution. Literally a bigger change than #1 or #2, in my experience, of course part of that might have been the surprise element. If you're a football fan you'll like this analogy. With one kid you can play a zone defense. Have a second and you have to play man. When you add that third to the mix, you're constantly trying to recover from a blown coverage.

Good post IdaD!! Not only is your RV advice right on, but some good family consultation as well!!:C

No since adding my .02, as I know nothing about the family/kids business.:E

Jerry

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
You could fit 3 kids, the two of you and a couple of dogs just fine into one of those rear slide models people are talking about. Especially while the kids are young. You'd have a large king bed to sleep on that pops out of the back and they could have the bunkhouse with four separate bunk beds up front. In between you have your bathroom, kitchen, a dinette and a sofa. Between now and when it starts to feel tight as the kids get older you could upgrade the Suburban into a heavy duty crew cab truck and then the trailer/fifth wheel world would be wide open. Don't be afraid of buying used on Craigslist or rvtrader. I recently bought a used fifth wheel and I can tell you from experience that you'll have a lot of very affordable options in your part of the country that will be a lot cheaper than anything comparable you can find out west.

As an aside, a third baby is a game changer so proceed with caution. Literally a bigger change than #1 or #2, in my experience, of course part of that might have been the surprise element. If you're a football fan you'll like this analogy. With one kid you can play a zone defense. Have a second and you have to play man. When you add that third to the mix, you're constantly trying to recover from a blown coverage.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
Need-A-Vacation wrote:

Without going back a lot of posts, how old is your kid? And you may have another? I ask because if the original trailer, and a 2500/3500 gas motor truck is possible, I would bet you would not trade a bunkhouse trailer until the kid(s) are older and not camping with you very much. So that combo should last at least 8-10yrs with the proper care.

We have a 2.5 year old son now. We're currently trying for another baby, and possibly a 3rd. So we'll be a family or 4 or 5, and we'll always have at least 1 or 2 dogs that camp with us...right now we have 3 dogs.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Not quite, the KZ Spree 240BH mentioned has a GVWR of 6500.

Splitting hairs but that's incorrect. Our 2008 KZ Spree 240BH-LX didn't have a slide and it's GVWR was in fact 6000 lbs ... in 2009 KZ revised this model to include a slide dinette, increasing it's weight and lengthening the trailer by 18" ... it's GVWR was 6500 lbs. I typically ran the 240's GVW around 5500 lbs fully loaded and ready to camp so I was always well within it's GVWR, with an average gross tongue weight of ~ 750 lbs which I verified regularly with my Sherline tongue weight scale. No mysteries at all when you know what you're dealing with. ๐Ÿ˜‰

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Herimpression wrote:
Gosh, it sounds like we can only do a pop up then. That wasn't on our radar because of the humidity here.

Not quite, the KZ Spree 240BH mentioned has a GVWR of 6500. The Premier Bullet 34BHPR model you initially selected has a GVWR of 8800 - quite a difference. You should be able to find something in the lower end range that will still work for you. I understand where you are coming from in wanting to buy a model you can use now rather than buy several different models basically growing into it. When we first started out, we bought a used 19' model. We were in heaven. When tenters were hiding in their tents in the pouring rain, we were drinking margaritas and playing cards, nice and dry. Then we updgraded to a 22' foot, then a 25', then a 30', to now our 35' FW. But we found out that we really like RVing and that's how we relax and vacation. What if you find out that's not what you want? Well, anyway. Just a thought.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Herimpression wrote:
Gosh, it sounds like we can only do a pop up then. That wasn't on our radar because of the humidity here.

Not at all ... I think I said several pages ago that based on my experience in towing for quite a few years now with a GM 5.3L (2006 Silverado, 2005 Avalanche) that a travel trailer weighing up to about 6000 lbs loaded and ready to camp should be quite doable for your truck, even though we still don't have enough specifics about your particular truck to say with absolute certainty. One advantage you do have is your truck is equipped with (I assume) GM's newer narrow ratio 6 spd which makes for easier towing than the older wide ratio 4-spd I have ... however, since we don't know (unless I've missed it in previous posts) your truck's axle ratio it's difficult to say just how much of an advantage this 6 spd will be for towing. I know, these are all "details", but unfortunately these details are all really important when it comes to towing any full height trailer ... overlook any and you could be wishing later you hadn't made the choices you did. It now sounds like a broken record but the place to start is to go weigh your truck and do the math, just as I described earlier.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
While here in Mi we don't have the mountains, we do have a few hills and a couple slow, steady grades. Having owned a '10 Chevy 1500 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6spd/3.42 4x4, and towed ~7200lbs, I never felt I NEEDED more power, just more payload. We were about 200lbs over the gvwr of the truck when all loaded up and ready to go. Under the axles ratings, by a little.... Main reason we stepped up to a 2500HD.

It all comes down to payload. The more you can load in the trailer, keeping as much near the axles as possible without making the tw to light, the better. Will keep weight out of the Burb. To light of a tw can, and will cause the trailer to sway. Which can lead to a very dangerous situation. That's what we used to do. When we could take it, I loaded firewood in Rubbermaid totes, and placed over the axles, with the front tire extending in front of the front axle a little. Making sure I didn't load them to far back, decreasing the tw. Then the coolers in front of the wood totes. My better half wanted the totes out of the trailer, which led to a new truck!!! Lol

Without going back a lot of posts, how old is your kid? And you may have another? I ask because if the original trailer, and a 2500/3500 gas motor truck is possible, I would bet you would not trade a bunkhouse trailer until the kid(s) are older and not camping with you very much. So that combo should last at least 8-10yrs with the proper care. Just a thought!!!! Not sure about my wife, but my tentative plan is to keep our current trailer for at least 8yrs, give or take. Our twin boys would be about 20 at that point, and hope the value of an 8yr old trailer will still bring a little money. And decide what floor plan will work for us at that time.

Keep looking, I am sure you will find the right trailer!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone Outback Terrain 250trs has an interesting floor plan but no privacy for the king bed and a tiny bath which would have to be used changing clothes, etc.
bumpy

Herimpression
Explorer
Explorer
...but we'll go weigh the sub this weekend to see where we really r with that.