cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying New sight unseen

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I wonder if I should order a TT without ever seeing it, I like the Arctic Fox 32A, but only seen the pictures and video from there website. The closet one is 6+ hours away. There are other models at Lazy Days in Longmont but no 32A. Would you do it or not?
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
58 REPLIES 58

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I don't buy anything I can't put my hands on, pictures can be deceiving.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Colo Native wrote:
Ok, I wonder if I should order a TT without ever seeing it, I like the Arctic Fox 32A, but only seen the pictures and video from there website. The closet one is 6+ hours away. There are other models at Lazy Days in Longmont but no 32A. Would you do it or not?

Depends on whether you can live with the consequences or not.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, that $57k is a base price. By the time you option it out it will climb up a bit and then discount it ??% to get back down to that base price.
Plan to go back to the dealer you purchased from , develop a good relationship. Your repair down time will benefit and things should get done in a timely fashion.

Good luck in your adventure, I wish you all the best,
B n D .

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Colo Native wrote:
On another note anybody dealt with Lazy days in Longmont? If so how are they to work with?

"on another note" ......

IMO, that's the note i would want to hear, a B-sharp not a B-flat ๐Ÿ™‚

How is that dealer going to take care of what needs to be taken care of that the Mfg. failed to do. Will the dealer be there for after the check is cashed.

A new 32A is not an inexpensive trailer. msrp's of $75k ?
If the AF 32A is not available to view somewhere, then if possible I would find the same floorplan in another brand, just to feel how the "floorplan feels" to you. Sometimes what you see in pics doesn't feel right once you actually spend some time in it.
Once i did that, then i would view any AF to see the fit and finish, keeping in mind, the fit and finish is limited to what you see. If you had the opportunity to take one apart, you might see a different 'fit and finish' and that's one place a reputable dealer can prevail and be an asset to you.

It's really a **** shoot anywhere you go you just never know, The base price is $57K, I just got the build sheet. I haven't found a floor plan like this. I plan on going up and looking at a couple different Floor plans this week just I get an idea of fit and finish
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
Retired DFD

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colo Native wrote:
On another note anybody dealt with Lazy days in Longmont? If so how are they to work with?

"on another note" ......

IMO, that's the note i would want to hear, a B-sharp not a B-flat ๐Ÿ™‚

How is that dealer going to take care of what needs to be taken care of that the Mfg. failed to do. Will the dealer be there for after the check is cashed.

A new 32A is not an inexpensive trailer. msrp's of $75k ?
If the AF 32A is not available to view somewhere, then if possible I would find the same floorplan in another brand, just to feel how the "floorplan feels" to you. Sometimes what you see in pics doesn't feel right once you actually spend some time in it.
Once i did that, then i would view any AF to see the fit and finish, keeping in mind, the fit and finish is limited to what you see. If you had the opportunity to take one apart, you might see a different 'fit and finish' and that's one place a reputable dealer can prevail and be an asset to you.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
When I bought my present TT, I did just that.
There were no Sabre dealers in AZ, and no other builder made anything close to it(still don't).

I found a used Sabre 5ver locally that I looked at just to see how it was built.

That's funny. 5 years ago, we bought our Sabre in a very similar fashion. We had been looking at campers and had a spreadsheet of 60 models. None of them were quite right.

My wife found a Sabre floorplan online and I started swapping emails with a sales manager at the factory. He sent me pre-production photos of the floorplan we were after. I suggested some changes (that they took!).

We walked through a couple of Sabres at a local dealer.

I ultimately ordered one through the 2nd closest dealer. Unfortunately the local dealer that we walked through pulled some stupid pricing stunts in our emails.

Placed a factory order via email. Deposit was sent via check.

5 years later and now fulltiming, the rig has treated us quite well.

So yep- I'd buy sight-unseen. I've done it. ๐Ÿ˜„

BUT- my advice, walk through ones from the same manufacturer. Get an idea of the specific features of yours from that.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
Retired DFD

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Passin Thru wrote:
We have a 31W but wouldn't buy sight unseen without a 3 day no Money backout clause. They are really nice, ours has never been any trouble but I'd want to know about it should any show up before I was tied in.

I will have to order one because none of them currently available have what we want.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
Retired DFD

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31W but wouldn't buy sight unseen without a 3 day no Money backout clause. They are really nice, ours has never been any trouble but I'd want to know about it should any show up before I was tied in.

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Would you buy a car, house, boat or horse unseen?
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would never buy a model that I haven't walked through, and here is why.

I looked at a LOT of trailer floor plans when I was doing research for my current trailer. I liked the floor plans on several models... but when I actually walked through trailers, sometimes the floor plan that looked so good on a computer screen turned out to be wasted or uncomfortable space in person.

Northwoods RV's are a little more expensive than regular trailers. I would invest a 12 hour drive and a night in a hotel to see the floor plan in person before buying it. It stinks now... but its a LOT cheaper and less aggravating to test and be certain BEFORE you drop $40K on it.

Now, if you have already walked through one and know you like it, that is a different story. Technically I bought mine sight unseen, because I ordered it and showed up on delivery day to pick it up. I made sure that everything was to my specifications and right before we accepted delivery though.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my Northwood Fox Mountain sight unseen from a dealer that was 4.5 hrs away. I actually had the chance to walk thru the same exact model on a different dealer lot that was 70 miles away, so I new what the fit and finish and overall layout should be like. 5 camping seasons latter and everything except the faded front cap is still working great.
6 hrs is nothing IMO. Drive up and if you don't like it leave. Grab a hotel and head back the next day.

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
I know I drove a whole lot more than 12 hours looking for what we finally ended up with.
I would not order a camper, or any other large purchase, without at least being in the exact same model.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I agreed to buy my specific trailer sight unseen, although I had been in one of the same floorplan ( an already sold unit at local dealer ). I made the deal on my trailer over the internet and phone at a dealer in Ohio. I still had the option of leaving without the trailer if it did not meet my expectation.
It was new, and was what I wanted, so I wrote the check and left with it in tow an hour later. Well worth the 1300 mile round trip.

An important part of the decision process for me is to actually go in and sit down, look around to decide if the floorplan is too my liking.

Earl_E
Explorer
Explorer
Not much that I would order sight unseen but I would an Arctic Fox. Mind you, you may not like the comfort of the couch, chairs, etc., but based on the one I had, I wouldn't hesitate. It was great. My wife still bemoans the fact that we sold ours, even though I just wanted to haul something a lot smaller.
2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control