cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculating TW from scale readings?

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
I weighed my rig today after picking up the trailer. What I didn't do was weigh it before hand. I did fill the gas tank up first. My front axle is 3000#, rear 3400#, and trailer 4480#, or roughly there, total weight 11120#. This is with a dry trailer, and nothing in the truck except me. Once I weigh my empty truck without the trailer, what do I need to do to calculate the trailer TW? The specs say it has 630# TW when dry.
6 REPLIES 6

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
jmtandem wrote:
what do I need to do to calculate the trailer TW?

Simple. Weigh the truck with the tongue and without the tongue and subtract the difference.

Correct with the provision that if you have a WDH system make sure the WDH bars are not connected when you weigh with the trailer hooked up to the truck.

Larry

And an extra/extra provision of subtracting any weight that came off the front axle when hooked up. If front axle weight changes by 300# from unhooked to hooked, subtract that 300# from the rear axle when hooked (no spring bar tension).
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
When using a WDH a portion of the tongue weight will be transferred to the trailer axles. Unhook the bars and it is all on the truck.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

apr67
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:

Correct with the provision that if you have a WDH system make sure the WDH bars are not connected when you weigh with the trailer hooked up to the truck.

Larry

Not sure I understand why? If I know my vehicles weight without the trailer (weighed, using cat scales) and then weigh with the trailer, to total weight gain to my TV will be the tounge weight of the trailer, right?
2017 Thor Hurricane 34J
Gone-2014 Chevy Express 3500
Gone-2016 Jayco White Hawk 32DSBH
Gone-2013 Keystone Bullet 294BHS
Gone-2007 National SurfSide 34DE
Gone-2006 ForestRiver Sunseeker 2900LTD
Gone-1994 Fleetwood PaceArrow
Gone-1978 Kit RoadRanger

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
jmtandem wrote:

Simple. Weigh the truck with the tongue and without the tongue and subtract the difference.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just get an additional scal reading... Just drop the trailer on the first scale pad (literally un-hitch)... It's simple and quick to do. Then you know for sure.

This is how I discovered that my pop up had 470 lbs of tongue weight loaded for camping... Reverified with the bathroom scale technique at home.

The bathroom scale technique works very well. I was within a few lbs of the Cat scale reading.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~