cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel tailgate

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Would like to get a 5th wheel tailgate for my 2106 Chevy 2500. I had one for the 2005 and used it consistently when towing. (Definitely do not want to back into this tailgate with a back-up camera installed $$$) I'm looking for suggestions on websites and brands. Thanks.
14 REPLIES 14

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
The metal Stromberg Carlson on Etrailer is the best bang for the buck. Less than $200 bucks and really nice and very simple for the money.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10โ€™s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

salem
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you kindly.:) They look like just the type I'm looking for.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
salem wrote:
All I want is a normal, regular, "V" shaped tailgate for a 5th wheel trailer. I am just trying to find the best place to order one from. I am not looking for one with a backup camera.:)

Well I will point you back to Custom Flow, Heavy Duty, I stand on mine all the time with the hitch sitting on it also. They can be bought with locking feature, and a filler for the "V" noch if you have a hard cover to secure items in the bed.

Custom Flow Tailgates
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

salem
Explorer
Explorer
All I want is a normal, regular, "V" shaped tailgate for a 5th wheel trailer. I am just trying to find the best place to order one from. I am not looking for one with a backup camera.:)

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
We had a back up camera installed at the top of the license plate and the monitor in the rear view mirror. But it decided to work part time last winter and the installer moved to another location. It was not a cheap model. Soon I can see him for a fix. Only reason to have it is seeing who or what gets behind us while backing out of a parking site in a store etc. To know it was needed after it decided to not come on I knew It was great to have. Neck doesn't turn after a life of construction work.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unless you are doping like MeAgain above I would stick with the factory tailgate.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or you can be creative and mount a replacement camera. We snowbird all winter leaving the tailgate home and I wanted to still have a backup camera. So I ordered the OEM cam and cable and installed it in the back of my V-Box (black dot in the center on box).

Then I decided I wanted a hitch camera, so I bought a cheap 4.3" display and camera. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

shepstone
Explorer
Explorer
Rear view cam (backup cam) is not much use with fifth wheel anyway
2017 F350 Ruby Red Super Cab Dually 6.7 3.55 gears. B&W Companion 25K. BackRack. Gatorback mud guards. AUX65FCBRG aux tank. 2021 GD 380fl
2010 GMC Savanna 3500 extended 6.0

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I just do without the camera when using the V tailgate, I still have the sensors in the bumper to warn me if I get too close to something.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Could you buy a "used' tailgate off Craigslist or ebay and use that one? Or keep it as your spare just in case.

I've seen them listed for less than $500. However, I would imagine many of them are stolen, so something to think about.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

salem
Explorer
Explorer
I think I worded this post incorrectly. Let me try again.:) My new truck has a back-up camera in the tailgate. I'm sure it would be very expensive to replace (the tailgate) if I were to forget to lower it when hooking up, or unhooking, and damaged it. I want to get a 5th wheel tailgate to avoid this issue. I'm looking for suggestions from readers as to the best place to order one. I believe my old one was a "Stromburg-Carlson," IIRC. They have some reasonably price one's but they are made of some type of plastic and I believe I would prefer to stay with the metal ones. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
You might try to contact Custom Flow and see if they have a provision for the BU cam.

Custom Flow
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

salem
Explorer
Explorer
So is mine. That is why I want to get a tailgate for towing the 5th wheel. I fear forgetting to put it down. It would cost a bundle to replace.

1ofmany
Explorer
Explorer
Our backup camera is in the tailgate...not an option for us.