cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Calibrated Power Solutions Tuning

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
So the only thing that I missed when I went from my Powerstroke to my Cummins is the way the Ford trans shifted in tow haul. The Ram never down shifted when I thought it should, but the only saving grace was the exhaust brake that helped slow the load. Power was always great and I didn't want to make my truck a race truck. I didn't want to be found driving a truck with the EPA mandated emissions garbage missing so I started doing some research. Calibrated Power solutions came highly recommended for their emissions present tuning along with transmission tuning. The package comes with a tuner and 5 position switch offering anywhere from stock power levels to 120 rear wheel horsepower.

I was interested in the tow setting as well as the fuel mileage setting for when running solo. The trans tunes promised increased shift pressures which males for quick solid shifts and allows the engine brake to work down to 15 miles per hour which is a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. That has always been my big gripe is when driving on back roads near campgrounds when I want the engine brake to work the most, the torque converter would unlock and the engine braking is gone.

That's a thing of the past now. Even driving in the campgrounds now my engine brake will kick on. The trans holds shifts much better and shifts as it should when in tow haul.

Solo I have gained an average of 2.87 hand calculated miles per gallon in the city and and about 3.4 on long highway trips. Towing I'm still about 11mpg.

I spoke to Chris who deals with the Cummins only tuning and he talked to me for about 30 minutes answering all the questions I had. I was worried about more regen's due to the increased power(100 rear wheel hp) on the fuel mileage setting and as promised this has not happened.

So far I'm very impressed and would recommend this to anyone who is interested in better mpgs and shifting.

I won't lie, I did have to test out the max power level just once and it turns a 7000 pound truck into a rocket. It's amazing.

The main reason for doing this opposed to deleting was the pure fact that sooner or Later the EPA is going to crack down on deleted trucks, crossing the border into Canada will get you busted and your truck impounded, I didn't want a loud truck and like the quiet smell free diesel I bought, and if I get tired of it for some reason I flash it back to stock and drive on.

The tuner also has an added benefit of code reading if it's needed, live data logging, and ability to have tunes made for different size tires when I upgrade.

Customer service has been great as well. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask. This is only available for Cummins and Duramax. I'm also posting this from my phone so I apologize for spelling errors. This keyboard is tiny.
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs
12 REPLIES 12

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
Get some gauges if you don't already have them. I did the same to my Duramax (except I did the delete) and it gets to 1,300 degrees EGT right quick. Quicker than you'd think.

How much boost does your D-Max turn? I know on the older versions they didn't boost like the Cummins or at least my FIL's and a very close bud's don't. My buddy runs a PPE on his 04 and it will almost bust a 1800* pyro when he turns it way up but his boost numbers never get much over 30. My 05 Cummins will slam 30 with no effort at all and it is tuned very mildly compared to his D-Max. Both of us are completely stock except the tuners.

I just got it done and I've been traveling so I haven't played with it much yet. I did a 3/4 throttle run and it got to 22 psi. I am towing my toy hauler today so I'll see at the first mountain pass.

1,800 EGTs is very high, I'd worry about that even if for a burst. From what I read on my year of Duramax, 1,300 is okay sustained, 1,400 for around a minute, 1,500/1,600 for a burst. Outside of that, you risk blowing a head gasket. I'm not sure on the 2004 Duramax tho.

Yeah, I know. He don't run it on his highest tune. I talked him into doing it once and rode with him and his pyro gauge looked like it was hooked to boost or something LOL! The needle came up as fast as his boost gauge. It would hit 1800* like my boost will hit 30. HAHAHA!! I forget what model exactly his PPE is but I know his max tune is suppose to be like 300+hp. It's crazy to say the least. I do know he normally runs it on the second to lowest tune which is suppose to be around 80-100 hp.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
transamz9 wrote:
2001400ex wrote:
Get some gauges if you don't already have them. I did the same to my Duramax (except I did the delete) and it gets to 1,300 degrees EGT right quick. Quicker than you'd think.

How much boost does your D-Max turn? I know on the older versions they didn't boost like the Cummins or at least my FIL's and a very close bud's don't. My buddy runs a PPE on his 04 and it will almost bust a 1800* pyro when he turns it way up but his boost numbers never get much over 30. My 05 Cummins will slam 30 with no effort at all and it is tuned very mildly compared to his D-Max. Both of us are completely stock except the tuners.

I just got it done and I've been traveling so I haven't played with it much yet. I did a 3/4 throttle run and it got to 22 psi. I am towing my toy hauler today so I'll see at the first mountain pass.

1,800 EGTs is very high, I'd worry about that even if for a burst. From what I read on my year of Duramax, 1,300 is okay sustained, 1,400 for around a minute, 1,500/1,600 for a burst. Outside of that, you risk blowing a head gasket. I'm not sure on the 2004 Duramax tho.
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
2001400ex wrote:

2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

2001400ex
Explorer
Explorer
2017 Forest River Stealth SA2816
2020 GMC Denali 3500 Duramax
Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

I think you know the answer to your question.

Well I was going to say zero, but your post earlier made it seem like you have had some experince with the issues you were stating so I thought I would give you the benefit of the doubt.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
I wouldn't worry about more regens but more like a tranny rebuild and dare I say head gasket too with a 100hp tune while voiding your warranty to boot.

How many 68RFE's transmissions and head bolts have you gone through adding 100hp to your Cummins? I know of 2(2010 at 120k+ and 2012 at 80K) that have been deleted and tuned with 100hp tunes since 5k miles with no issues. So how many have you gone through?

I think you know the answer to your question.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
I wouldn't worry about more regens but more like a tranny rebuild and dare I say head gasket too with a 100hp tune while voiding your warranty to boot.

How many 68RFE's transmissions and head bolts have you gone through adding 100hp to your Cummins? I know of 2(2010 at 120k+ and 2012 at 80K) that have been deleted and tuned with 100hp tunes since 5k miles with no issues. So how many have you gone through?
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
What kind of fuel economy improvement did you get?

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
Well my warranty is up in a couple months so that was a non issue. I don't hot rod it and will be using the heavy tow setting when pulling which I believe is only 40 horsepower. It seems guys are pushing 500hp pretty regularly without having head gasket issues. The trans may be a weak link but it seems like the 68rfe is holding up pretty good to much higher power than I'm pushing. We will see. I'm more impressed with fuel mileage so far, so I'm pretty happy

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III

Good report... but good luck.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
That is correct. At this time it's only for the 68rfe.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
That's great. I don't believe it will tune the trans on the 13-16 Aisin trucks. The Aisin is on a stand alone computer unlike yours that is controlled by the ECM. I've also heard that the Aisin doesn't respond well to added power for this reason.