cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camera systems

Obewan
Explorer
Explorer
Are camera systems worth the time, money and effort? I have some trouble estimating the length of the trailer when changing lanes. Luckily, only managed to receive the "one finger salute" once and I swear he tried to gun it to cut me off. I've towed my current camper about 5000 miles to date but am upgrading and adding another 5 feet of length to 39 feet. I have no troubles backing, just changing lanes on the freeway and am concerned that the extra 5 feet will make it harder to judge clearance. Any other "tricks" or suggestions? Anyone use a camera system on their trailer and would you again?
2015 DRV Mobile Suites 44 Lafayette Walden
2014 Ram Laramie 3500 dually
26 REPLIES 26

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
This is how you need to deal with it.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

rewindgy
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a good camera from Costco and its hardwired model - thing works like a charm!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
MontanaCamper wrote:
have a camera on the rear of my truck and a camera on the rear of my trailer. The 7" monitor has a dual input on it so I can switch back and forth. cameras are hardwired.
What brand or type of camera gear do you have, Montana? I'm curious because I'm looking for the same setup for my rig.
TIA
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

MontanaCamper
Explorer
Explorer
have a camera on the rear of my truck and a camera on the rear of my trailer. The 7" monitor has a dual input on it so I can switch back and forth. cameras are hardwired.
'07 301BHS FOR SALE
'07 Dodge 2500 w/5.9L SOLD
'96 wife
4 dogs
2 cats
10 rc's

Been pulling a trailer for 16 years
2013 camping nights: 16
2014 camping nights: 28!! Then tranny went out........

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
:B
wmoses wrote:
This "shadow" business is intriguing....

Most times of the day, your trailer will cast a shadow on the road, sometimes just a very tiny one, but nevertheless a shadow of some kind. I use this shadow, along with my mirrors to tell me when it is clear to move over a lane or move back in after passing. This is what was done when I used to drive over the road semi's also.

After a while, you can just about tell where the rear of your trailer is without looking for a shadow but it does help.

Agree that some drivers will try to close up the opening when you have your turn signal on but that has never bothered me much. I am much bigger than they are and the one finger salute means nothing. Has only happened once or twice in the past 60 years or so of towing.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

powderman426
Explorer
Explorer
If you decide to get a camera, I suggest a large monitor. I have a 7" which is fine, but had to use a small 4" one for a short time after my large one was stolen and I felt it was useless because you need to take your eyes of the road longer than with the large one. JMO
Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
32' Gulfstream Ameri-Camp & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
This "shadow" business is intriguing....
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a hardwired camera, mounted on rear of the trailer, and a monitor that clips on the rear view mirror. For changing lanes, I can see that all is clear.

Only problem is, some drivers seem to think a flashing turn signal means, that is the side you want them to passed on, especially if it is on the right side.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

tropical_ron
Explorer
Explorer
I realize my perspective is that of a motorhome driver - but the principles should carry over. What I do is using side mirrors - there is a magnification in lower, smaller section of mirrors. This lower section tells me " if I see a car there, I am safe to change lane. The back up camera ( 3 camera ? tells me the same supporting information, before I change lanes. Turn signals activate side camera - showing side along motorhome. I practiced in a parking lot where everything showed up either on camera or in mirrors and this has helped reduce Salutes. Some folks still will steal what you think is available space before you can occupy that space. Abundance of caution says practice all of the above and develope your own style. Hope this is helpful, happy camping.
2007 National Tropical T370 LX CAT-350
2010 Honda CRV awd
Blue Ox Baseplate
SMI aux. brake

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shadows work for us. Only time it doesn't work is noon and then only on NS roads.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
I wrote a much more comprehensive reply to your above post but lost it because my Internet connection here went down. ๐Ÿ˜ž

To me it is worth it, but opinions may vary here since "worth" is subjective - what may be worthy to some may be worthless to others.

If you are concerned with safety of yourself AND others on the road that we all share then it must be worthy. I have been looking at systems for some time now and the biggest hang-up on the deal is how/where to mount the moniitor so that it does not attract the bottom-feeders who like to smash and grab. Thinking of a 2-camera wireless system - one camera for the rear of the truck and the other for the rear of the RV. Considering the options at tadibothers.com.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of time during the day when you can use ether his shadow or yours.