cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cameras For Truck Camper

Zircon
Explorer
Explorer
I really use my rear view mirror a lot when driving, so when I'm using the Dually and the Truck Camper, it's a real pain not to have that option available to me. So, I've decided to purchase a camera system from RearViewSafety ... rear camera and two side cameras.
If any of you have cameras from that company, perhaps you could help me.
1. I'm leaning towards purchasing a wireless system ... less hassle in hooking it up and easier if I should ever want to take tha camper off the truck. But what do you think? Will a wireless system do the job. I notice their system is digital, not analog as the one from Tadi Bros. is, so that should help.
2. If I purchase the wireless system, will I experience any delay in signal transmission? The reason I ask is that I have a GoPro Hero3 that is wireless. I don't use it in the truck, of course, but I do notice there is a good ten seconds of delay in what the camera sees and what is transmitted to the iPad. If that is the case with the RearViewSafety wireless system, it would be practically useless as a camera system that will show me what's behind and in the right lane. Comments?
5 REPLIES 5

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
I never owned one of the older ones but I've never even seen any snow on mine, probably helps that the transmitter is only about 6 feet from the receiver, but it has to go through the camper wall and the truck cab.

Good to know. Maybe it's time to give wireless another shot.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I never owned one of the older ones but I've never even seen any snow on mine, probably helps that the transmitter is only about 6 feet from the receiver, but it has to go through the camper wall and the truck cab.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Tom_Anderson
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe wireless cameras have improved over the last few years, but I have yet to see one that isn't prone to interference, intermittent loss of signal, etc. And the range always seems to be about a tenth of what they advertise. Better to buy a wired system, IMO.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Mine's a Garmin BC30, it works better than I expected with no delay. The transmitter is separate from the camera though so I ran it up to the front wall of the camper.

The lens is too wide-angle though IMO, it's good for seeing right behind you but I can't see very far behind me with it when travelling... not a huge deal because the mirrors pickup by that point.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
GoPro's (3 and newer) with remote function use a digitally buffered bluetooth connection, where as all wireless RF cameras use a straight transmitter to receiver setup. There won't be any lag.

As far as which one... I just spent my 2 cents worth on the topic, that's all I got...
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo