cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camper Cover Suggestions

Cannon_George
Explorer
Explorer
Like most of us, I don't have covered parking available. My concern is brutal sunlight and associated UltraViolet damage to plastic, caulk, etc. I'm looking for a lightweight "sun-cover" to lay over camper to help during summer months. Not worried about rain or water protection. During summer, would remove once every 1 to 2 weeks for outings.
Camper spends 80% of time on truck; doesn't matter to me if cover is camper only or truck plus camper; only that it work regardless if camper is on truck or not.
Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks
10 REPLIES 10

Cannon_George
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! Rollin, 805Gregg, Kerry, you are correct Calmark is not far from me so will visit today and grab a sample of their material and find out weight. I also like the idea of a "mesh" tarp, will check this. Bobndot, hadn't heard of the UV Tech Spray but will check that out, even if I do get a cover. Brutal sunlight and L.A. smog in summer eats up caulk and plastic. Jefe, excellent comments as always, I'm listening to Bob Florence CDs and wish we had more live music like this....

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Calmark is right in Oxnard, best cover out there made of Sunbrella like boat covers, last longer than the camper
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Go to Amazon and search for "mesh tarp". I LOVE these things! I first used one as a sunblock for my paddleboard that sits in the sun. I just lay it on the board and tie the corners down (also keeps the board from going airborne in a storm) It blocks most of the sunlight, yet lets the board "breathe" so it doesn't get covered in mildew. I also use one as a sunshade, tied off to posts on my deck; another one (tan in color) serves as a beach blanket; and I just ordered a small one to protect my kayak when it's in the bed of my truck (the bedliner seems rather rough in texture).
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Rollin
Explorer
Explorer
Hey George,

I lived in Filmore for over ten years, just over the hill. I tried a lot of covers (they would only last for one or two years). The best one that I now use is Calmark out of Oxnard of all places. They are not cheap but heavey duty, I would recommend them.

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've had good luck with ADCO covers.
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Hi George,
I too am a CA TC (and bass trombone playing) person, so sun damage is not appealing at all. Before I built a TC shed, I tried several cover ups.
1. A large shinny silver plastic/vinyl tarp, maybe 15'x20'. This covered most of the rig and kept the heat and sun away nicely. Silver lasts maybe two seasons compared to one season with a blue, green, or camo tarp. It's not that heavy but you need a tall ladder to get it up there, folded and open it like an origami box.
2. A large, heavy cotton duck 'real' tarp. It weighed about 80 pounds. The one I had lasted for years but was very difficult to take on and off, needing at least two people to make it work. It was a light beige color reflecting the sun.
3. One year we had some heavy snow, so I made a wood 'spine', or mini A-frame for the top of the camper, under the heavy tarp, like a roof pitch to help the snow melt (and weight) off faster.
3. For sun protection, I parked the TC under some big trees. That worked well keeping the sun off, but had residual 'slough' from the trees which wasn't that appetizing.
4. Not for the TC, but our many 4WD's live out of doors and I've purchased a few car covers that work for a few years. Except for the installation and expense I can't see a big woe If you buy a form-fitting TC cover.
regards, as always, jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
I'm only interested in it as I keep hearing if you're storing TC make sure it's covered storage... forgot about the weight thing, 4-5 times bigger than what I was dealing with. Oops... so much for that idea... thanks for the heads up..

Again, while I don't plan on "Storing" it for any longer than 30day max if that I didn't see what the difference is between using it uncovered or storing it uncovered, but kept reading "Cover it..." so, started me thinking...
which is not a pretty thing to see.. heheh...

standing on the sidelines, looking in...
thanks...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
Calmark makes a good hefty cover but dont count on it to keep out rain. They do offer great sun protection. Its a sunbrella material that seems to hold up well. Expensive but probably worth the money for most. I had one but sold it after I decided to invest in a metal carport.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
MY camper stays on the truck and I use it regularly , so covering it will not work very well for me if I did choose to do that.
IMO, covering an RV gets old fast especially if you plan to take on/off many times . The weight and bulk is not worth it for me, especially when wet.
Im not so sure any lightweight cover really holds up over time. People end up having to buy a second or third cover.
I would think if dirt gets between the RV and the cover , the wind would compromise the finish no matter how tight you tie it down.
Since I use eternabond tape on my seems and around the vents, I don't feel the need to cover it and do not have any uv issues. They make UV TECH spray for the plastic vents/skylights etc .

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Watching this as I've used covers for other things like Tear drop trailer and RZR buggy and they all worked well so I was thinking of the Camper covers I see and would consider that. Hopefully I won't need it as i'll be camping in it, but it beats paying some $200 mo for covered storage...

So watching what pops up here.. thanks for asking...
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website