Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

black water disposal

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Folks,

I need some guidance. Just acquired a nice piece of land in a remote spot. I'm going to leave my camper on the land, and use it for a getaway place. Going to take it off the truck and leave it.

I'm going to get one of those blue portable tanks to empty the black water into and then take it to a dump station periodically to dump it. The problem of course is when the portable tank is full, it will be far to heavy to lift.

I thought I might put the empty portable tank in the back of the truck and then use a macerator pump to pump into it. Will that work? Can you attach the macerator pump directly to the black water release on the camper and just pump from there into the portable tank?

Any other ideas.

thanks in advance,

Dan
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags
27 REPLIES 27

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
I have a remote camp and I dug a 4 ft hole buried a 40 gallon barrel with both ends cut off and built an outhouse on top. Add lime every now and then.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Dan,
Good to hear of you. It's been lo those many years since the November TC campout in Yosemite. You seem to be up to your kneecaps in stuff here. Remember to try the simple solution first.
regards, as always, jefe
Gerson's rig in Yosemite:

Gerson on the left:
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

bricetribe
Explorer
Explorer
55 gallon plastic drum that was used for police target practice (holes in it) buried 6' deep with a length of 4" sewer pipe providing capped access. We have fairly loamy soil so drainage is no problem.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Naio wrote:
korbe wrote:
How about a small septic tank and leachfield system?

A composting toilet would probably be less expensive.

If allowed why not a french drain, cheap and can be used for years.

Goodness, is there ANYWHERE that allows a french drain for human waste?

Oh my!!!!
What do some of you do when you're in the woods and have to poop?
Hold it until you find a city sewer?
To the OP, depending on how remote and the type of soil, I'd just dig a pit far enough down wind to dump into and dump into that.
Or build you a proper outhouse for #2 then both tanks are gray water and you could disperse that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
+2 what he said, city folks.:h

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
lol... city folks.

Got shovel??
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
mbloof wrote:
(sigh)

I own a chunk of dirt out in the middle of BFE.

When presented with the same issue I recalled what we did when tent camping in large groups - we dug a "kybo" and everyone went THERE instead of all over the place. When done we buried the whole shebang and months later (or the next year) when we camped there again there was no trace of what we'd done earlier.

The dirt I have takes liquids very well. I carry a hole shovel.

This is okay with me. It appears the human animal is the only animal that cannot poop in the woods. That makes no sense to me.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
(sigh)

I own a chunk of dirt out in the middle of BFE.

When presented with the same issue I recalled what we did when tent camping in large groups - we dug a "kybo" and everyone went THERE instead of all over the place. When done we buried the whole shebang and months later (or the next year) when we camped there again there was no trace of what we'd done earlier.

The dirt I have takes liquids very well. I carry a hole shovel.

brdmh44
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a way to dig a hole, buy a liquid holding tank and bury it. You could empty into that and have it pumped out. It's a cheap option that would save the hassle of constantly pumping into a portable tank and paying for disposals. A 250 gallon tank is rather small and would last years between pumping. Just a thought.

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
All good information.

My question is if you have difficulty getting your Blue Tote into your truck when it is full, what are you going to do to get it out? I am not familiar with them, so many my question is moot. Are you are able to dump your blue tote while it is still in the back of your truck?

Also, when we were at race tracks, there was often a honey wagon that came around to pump out the different Race Haulers. Many rural areas have these services too. Would something like that be cost prohibitive for you use?

As for attracting attention, all the comments about the legality it certainly should be considered. One can still research this, anonymously by checking online, for most counties now. Just call the building department for the links. Also, when setting up your RV, don't make it appear that it is not mobile, meaning skirting, like hay bales. Neighbors will always ask "fishing" questions so be honest, but be aware there is often an agenda for their interest.

Love the large properties of friends, to boondock on. But learned a good lesson when boondocking in Franklin, Tennessee a long time ago. The owner might be agreeable, but the neighbors often are not. When on someone else's property, be sure you have "Written" permission to be there, when the Absentee Owner is not around.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Just go invest in the proper septic system. Whatever it costs it will up the value of the property another 20% above what it costs. Locate the future home first so you don't put setic and drainfield in a good location for the cabin/ house and gets good gravity flow to the tank and gravity flow to the drain field. Drain field needs to located down hill from tank but level ground works also because of the depth dug to the distribution boxes. Any slopes over 35% usually won't allow drain fields. But ea. county has their own stipulations.

Also don't leave a nice camper there unless you have neighbors to watch over it as it will get lived in by squatters or broke into. Counties usually won't let you live in an rv permanently unless you have a permit to build a cabin/ home.

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio wrote:
korbe wrote:
How about a small septic tank and leachfield system?

A composting toilet would probably be less expensive.

If allowed why not a french drain, cheap and can be used for years.

Goodness, is there ANYWHERE that allows a french drain for human waste?

What is a outhouse, a glorified french drain.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
korbe wrote:
dpgerson wrote:
Thanks for that suggestion, Korbe. I have considered that, especially since I might one day build a cabin on the site. Any idea how much that would cost, ballpark. I wouldn't be able to do any of the work myself. Would have to pay to have it done.

AS far as using the macerator pump. I see some with 1 1/2 inch intakes. I think the sewer hose that I dump with is larger than that. Do I need an adadpter?

I would go into the office of the County Health dept ( County Sanitarian) and find out the local requirements. One nice benefit for this type of system is that you don't need power for the system - and it is always a nice selling point, or for the future cabin.

Ditto....Research Local laws regarding septic ! If you have a pond, stream or brook on the property, that could be a deal breaker in some instances.

Yes, check local laws.

We have some lake property in Minnesota. It's too close to the lake to put in a septic. It's not too close for a holding tank.

Can't tell you a cost, because our tank (1500 gallon) has been in for twenty some years. We have it setup with full time hook up for one travel trailer / 5th wheel, and an access for visitors to dump their tanks. The trailer gets used every weekend (two people) from April to October, plus a few weeks here and there (4 - 6 people) with visitors. The tank lasts 3 - 4 years, between pumping.

Smaller tanks are available.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:
dpgerson wrote:
Thanks for that suggestion, Korbe. I have considered that, especially since I might one day build a cabin on the site. Any idea how much that would cost, ballpark. I wouldn't be able to do any of the work myself. Would have to pay to have it done.

AS far as using the macerator pump. I see some with 1 1/2 inch intakes. I think the sewer hose that I dump with is larger than that. Do I need an adadpter?

I would go into the office of the County Health dept ( County Sanitarian) and find out the local requirements. One nice benefit for this type of system is that you don't need power for the system - and it is always a nice selling point, or for the future cabin.

IMHO I would NOT go to any local country department and ask that question unless you are ready and are going to put a septic in. Unless you are looking for trouble, for they will be all over you and watching you from that point on.

Did you find out if it is legal to park an RV on that property? If not don't broadcast the fact to anyone.:W

If you are just staying there a short time IF it is even legal to park/stay in an RV on that property. Just use a macerator pump as suggested to your blue tote. And btw I would not have it be in full view of the road.

Digging a hole to dump, etc is going to be against the law in any state. With HUGE fines if you are caught. And permits are required for septic systems of any kind you just can't go and put them in. Again unless you don't mind be fined big bucks.

Keep it on the down low and use the pump and take the waste off the property you should be go to go.....literally!!:B

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.