cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camplite

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Nissan Xterra which has a towing capacity of 5000lbs. I am looking at the Camplite RBS 21. According to the manufacture sticker the dry weight is 3500lbs. I figure with 1000lbs of cargo I still would be under the Xterra towing capacity and I should be able to tow. What are some thoughts on this idea?
25 REPLIES 25

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
My concern with the 16DBS would be the 400+ lb tongue weight after you add battery and propane tank and the fact that all the storage appears to be forward of the axles (basement, overhead, and fridge) which means everything you load other than maybe fresh water is going to add significantly to that tongue weight. Most of the reports I saw online say the the Xterra has a soft rear suspension, having briefly driven a vehicle with a soft suspension at its rated limit I can tell you it is NOT a fun experience.

If it were me solo and I was looking for a quality trailer in your situation I'd look at a molded fiberglass trailer. A Scamp 16 or a lilsnoozy have a tongue weight of about 225lb, a much better fit for your SUV.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Capeteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Ok great. This is all valuable information. Since I don't know what everything is you guys mentioned I will do more research. I was originally looking at the 16DBS. When I went to look at them I told the salesman I would be using the Xterra to tow he replied I could tow any of the Camplite. I am not planning on buying till sometime next summer. I have a lot more research to do. I liked the idea of all aluminum for the Camplite no wood to rot if there are leaks and the dealer did play up other advantages. For the most part I will be traveling alone.
So what about the 16DBS. would that work with the Xterra?
Any other trailer suggestions?
Safety is my prime objective.
Thanks

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Bobndot has a great point. Dry hitch weight of that TT is over 460 lbs, and once you add Battery, LP, water and gear your hitch will likely be 600-700 lbs. And you have not added a WD unit yet, those are 60-95 lbs more. Is the X rated for 500 lbs on the hitch?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
I have a Camplite 21BHS that I tow with a Ram 1500. That setup tows great and I've been really happy with the camper. That said, I don't think I'd try towing it with a vehicle the size of the Xterra.

They do have smaller campers, and they are nice.

Camplite Travel Trailers

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

RollTideCamp
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
I applaud anyone who does their homework before going out in an adventure like this .

Towing a TT down a road in a straight line, with no other factors such as crosswinds, bow waves from overtaking semi's and animals darting in front of you is a different ball game.
When the S...hits the fan, you want your TV to be in control not the other way around.

Don't be fooled by sales people and posted numbers.
Listen to the folks here that have been doing this safely for many many years. We thank you.

I agree with everything bobndot said, I think that sums it up perfectly. That camper is awesome if you want it, it may be worth looking into a cheaper/older capable Tow Vehicle, but please don't put your family and other's on the road in danger pulling it with the xterra.

The xterra can surely get the load moving at speed, but once it is up to speed is going to be the problem.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I applaud anyone who does their homework before going out in an adventure like this .
It's not about the 5k tow rating.
You need to pay attention to the payload of your loaded up for a trip SUV as well as the real tongue weight of the TT which includes the WD hitch. Make sure your tire rating can handle the TW.
Many TT's post dry weights . If your real TW of the trailer you buy is double the posted dry weight, don't be surprised. :E

Before you run out and spend money to beef up your SUV TV, aftermarket add-ons such as air bags help, but are only a mask to make things appear level. Those add-ons, if you decide to do that, will not change a vehicles weight ratings or limitations.

Towing a TT down a road in a straight line, with no other factors such as crosswinds, bow waves from overtaking semi's and animals darting in front of you is a different ball game.
When the S...hits the fan, you want your TV to be in control not the other way around.

As an example, if you towed the trailer you mentioned with a 150/250 pickup and ran through a slalom course then did it again with your Nissan, you would feel how the trailer will overtake the Nissan and the 250 will be solid tow. You have to stay safe. Don't be fooled by sales people and posted numbers.
Listen to the folks here that have been doing this safely for many many years. We thank you.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
That TT is 25' long and the Xterra's wheelbase is only 106". Not a good combo for stability. I'd recommend towing something 20' or shorter.

10-12 years ago I was running a 111" WB Merc Mountaineer (Explorer twin) and a 23' TT; without my Equal-i-zer hitch for sway control, it felt really squirrely. But then I went to 16' and 17' trailers, towed with a 2008 Toyota Highlander (108" WB), and never felt a need for sway control.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Capeteacher wrote:
I have a Nissan Xterra which has a towing capacity of 5000lbs. I am looking at the Camplite RBS 21. According to the manufacture sticker the dry weight is 3500lbs. I figure with 1000lbs of cargo I still would be under the Xterra towing capacity and I should be able to tow. What are some thoughts on this idea?

The Xterra has a tow cap of 5000 the 21rbs has a loaded weight (gvwr) of 5468. I know you said you would only carry about 1000 lbs but the dry weight your looking at is without batteries (60 lbs each) propane tank and gas. (40-50 lbs each) or water. It will add up quickly.
Also the cargo cap on the Xterra was about 1200 lbs. The trailer dry was 453 tongue, add for batteries and propane since they are on the tongue plus the weight of the wdh, and your probably around 750, so on that you have about 450 left for you, other passengers and supplies in the Nissan.
Hope this helps, but I don't think it's the answer you wanted.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a bigger and heavier trailer than I tow with my F150...

I'd tow that trailer with my F150 all day long..

Just wish I had it.. That's a nice trailer... But, might be a bit much for your Xterra...

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Load that TT up and you are over 5,100...plus what you carry in the Xterra. If you want that TT buy a better TV. What is your TV's payload?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
How much are you hauling inside the car ?

Obviously you will be using a WD hitch and electric brakes. I would add an auxiliary transmission cooler.