cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campsite Squatters

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
Have any of you noticed people leaving their trailers in great campsites on BLM and USFS land during the week and then showing up on the weekends to camp?
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel
121 REPLIES 121

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
In my mind, you'd have to be nuts to leave your camper out in the woods for extended periods/days without being there. Hell, I don't like leaving mine in a regular paid campsite for more then a couple hours.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:

Who said the people doing this are rich?

I know if I had a cheap hunter special camper, I'd be a lot more comfortable leaving it out in the middle of no-where unattended as opposed to a $80k 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles that could easily be stripped during the week.

I did not say "rich", but do the arithmetic. Most of my working life, I could swing a couple of nights rent per month, in a state park, and feel I got my money's worth. But if I had to pay for 4 nights and could only use 2, that doubles the cost. Maybe you have the disposable income to think it's worth it, but many do not.
The average Forest Service campsite is less than $20.00. Half that amount if the camper has a Senior Pass. With the average household income in the US over $60,000 per year, paying for a few extra days to insure they have a space for the weekend isn't going to send most people to the poorhouse.
No matter what your income, there are likely hobbies and activities that you cannot afford. That is, and always will be, a fact of life. Sitting around bemoaning that fact won't make it go away. Instead, spend that time being productive and it might just allow you to earn the extra money you need to reserve those extra nights.

Freep
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Unless they are violating the time requirement, I donโ€™t see the issue.

Being rude is not against the law either, and yet most people have a problem with that.
2014 Lance 992
2014 Ram 3500 DRW Turbo diesel

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lots of people live in campers now. They commute to work. In summer they like to live someplace cooler and more beautiful so they head to the mountains.

Homeless people are everywhere in western big cities. At least Rvers have a home.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
tuna fisher wrote:
Seen it for years, mostly in the higher elevations of Utah.Asked rangers and they ho hum about it.When you see grass growing around the wheels it's obivious the rig hasen't been moved in months. Pisses me of but there's nothing I can do about it. A lot are for hunting camps.Some nice rigs just sitting. They usually are pulled out before the snows.
And there lies the problem, those that are paid to enforce the rules, are not willing to do so.

They are indeed paid to enforce the rules but probably know from previous experience that the citation they issue will not result in any legal action. The rangers are just like every other law enforcement officer in that they have to choose their battles.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:

I know if I had a cheap hunter special camper, I'd be a lot more comfortable leaving it out in the middle of no-where unattended as opposed to a $80k 5th wheel with all the bells and whistles that could easily be stripped during the week.

I did not say "rich", but do the arithmetic. Most of my working life, I could swing a couple of nights rent per month, in a state park, and feel I got my money's worth. But if I had to pay for 4 nights and could only use 2, that doubles the cost. Maybe you have the disposable income to think it's worth it, but many do not.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
tuna fisher wrote:
Seen it for years, mostly in the higher elevations of Utah.Asked rangers and they ho hum about it.When you see grass growing around the wheels it's obivious the rig hasen't been moved in months. Pisses me of but there's nothing I can do about it. A lot are for hunting camps.Some nice rigs just sitting. They usually are pulled out before the snows.
And there lies the problem, those that are paid to enforce the rules, are not willing to do so.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
hotjag1 wrote:
A few of the campgrounds we frequent have a rule that the site must be physically occupied each night. A camp host verifies this each night or early morning. A tow vehicle, or in the case of a tent, a car must be at the site.
I suppose a trailer and tow vehicle could occupy the site and not have anyone actually there. The camp host wouldn't be able to determine that, although it would look pretty odd that there is no activity at the site all day or evening.

Campgrounds yes, but FS land as in dispersed or BLM land, same, have different rules.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
It happens a lot here and always has. Unfortunately they are not breaking any laws other than taking the chance their units could be broken into. For us, it's disappointing to head early to one of our boondocking locations only to find someone parked there and the unit empty till just before we are going to leave.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

tuna_fisher
Explorer
Explorer
2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!;)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
This, IMHO, is not right, but better than the scams used to game the res systems. At least the CG is getting the money.
It also is evidence to me that the well off are more likely to rip people off than poor.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like they're getting free storage for their trailer, they don't have to tow it to/from the CG and have a great place to camp on weekends.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
This, IMHO, is not right, but better than the scams used to game the res systems. At least the CG is getting the money.
It also is evidence to me that the well off are more likely to rip people off than poor.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Been going camping to Sierra Ice House Road area and from about 20 campgrounds, there is 1 who is on peninsula and free to add.
So at least for 30 years campers left there mid week to be occupy on weekend is normal thing.
Same thing I observed at Emerald Bay campground at Lake Tahoe, where people would pay for whole week, only to have beautiful spot for the weekend.

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
A few of the campgrounds we frequent have a rule that the site must be physically occupied each night. A camp host verifies this each night or early morning. A tow vehicle, or in the case of a tent, a car must be at the site.
I suppose a trailer and tow vehicle could occupy the site and not have anyone actually there. The camp host wouldn't be able to determine that, although it would look pretty odd that there is no activity at the site all day or evening.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata