cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I purchase any wheel with the right size & bolt pattern?

Sheepdog85
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to add a second spare tire and I was quoted $174 for a direct replacement from factory of what is on my trailer now.

That is ridiculous if you ask me. A quick search came up with these for $56 each.
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/liquid-metal-supreme-hd

Am I missing something as far as quality or specifications that justifies the $174 price from the dealer?

Or is it ok, and smarter, to just go with a new wheel at a better price?
2019 Grand Design Transcend Xplor 265bh
2019 Dodge Ram 3500
25 REPLIES 25

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
$56 for tire and rim?

You need a rim that matches.
A tire (the rubber part) that matches the size and load rating (same size tire may have different load ratings).

After that, you can buy on price and no don't get paranoid about it.

I suspect once you do that, you will find, the $174 isn't too far from what you are finding from other sources.

Someone had a kind of glancing approach to the real question: Why do you feel the need for a second spare?
- You are driving to Alaska and will be in remote areas...I can see the argument. Tires in remote areas can be expensive or require you to wait a few days to ship them in.
- You are traveling I-95 from New England to Florida...one spare should be plenty as you can always pick up another spare if you use the first.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I assume Grand Design is giving you a price for a tire and a rim. Is it a Westlake tire or a Goodyear Endurance tire? 15" or 16"? $174 doesn't seem all that bad for a tire and a rim. You're not getting both for $56
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Just go on Amazon or etrailer and buy one. Easy peazy.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Grand Design wants to sell you a spare tire and discount tire wants to sell you a rim, not the same thing.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You didn't say what size tire and wheel!
Walmart

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to use a $56 wheel/tire or whatever you can. Hopefully I won't be behind you or coming in the opposite direction.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Yes, in general, same diameter, width, bolt pattern and offset, most of which are standard for trailer wheels, will work.
You will need to wade through the multitude of responses that are overthinking it. As many of the folks here only have limited, recreational experience with trailers and do not fully understand, and therefore are basing much of their knowledge off of very limited experience.

Subjectively, unless the second spare is just so you can sleep better at night, fix the issue that is making a second spare tire seem like a necessity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
Your title says you are looking for a wheel. Your post says tire. If wheel/rim look at the inside of your current wheels. You should see something stamped in it stating max inflation value. Make sure that matches on the new one also.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
It should be fine, especially as a second spare.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shopping on price alone is not wise, there are a lot of unsafe cheap tires out there. Go with a quality brand from a reputable tire dealer, the rv and auto dealers are generally the highest.

You need to known the offset ( if any) and the bolt pattern.. Mine is 8x6.5
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet