cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can my 01 f150 tow a jay flight 29bhs???

Toben
Explorer
Explorer
I want to know if I can safely buy an older 05 jayflight 29bhs and continue to use my 2001 f150 supercrew 4.6l?

I already have a brake controller.
I will use a weight distribution hitch and anti sway.
I will be traveling 2-4 hours away to camp in state parks and travel with empty freshwater tanks. Roads are fairly flat around here.
I will buy a better truck prior to crossing a mountain range.

The jayflight 29bhs weighs 5600 pounds.
My truck can tow 6600 pounds.
Max payload is 1705.

Cargo include me wife and lightweight kids (400 pounds for all of us) and luggage. Not 4 big dudes.

As you can see I am near the limits but with the brake controller the weight distribution the lighter weight cargo and empty freshwater tanks I think I can do it.

I towed a 5100 pound trailer and it did ok without a weight dist hitch or anti sway.

So If I add that to the mix can I pick up an additional 500 pounds? I promise to eventually get a better truck.

Or am I crazy?

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll be in a similar situation as myself. I have plenty of truck but lacking in the HP dept. Your truck with the larger 5.4 V8 would have a 8000lb towing capacity. So another words, you truck can handle a little more weight but the 4.6 can't.
I think you'll be fine, but end up wanting more ponnies.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toben wrote:
I want to know if I can safely buy an older 05 jayflight 29bhs and continue to use my 2001 f150 supercrew 4.6l?

I already have a brake controller.
I will use a weight distribution hitch and anti sway.
I will be traveling 2-4 hours away to camp in state parks and travel with empty freshwater tanks. Roads are fairly flat around here.
I will buy a better truck prior to crossing a mountain range.

The jayflight 29bhs weighs 5600 pounds.
My truck can tow 6600 pounds.
Max payload is 1705.

Cargo include me wife and lightweight kids (400 pounds for all of us) and luggage. Not 4 big dudes.

As you can see I am near the limits but with the brake controller the weight distribution the lighter weight cargo and empty freshwater tanks I think I can do it.

I towed a 5100 pound trailer and it did ok without a weight dist hitch or anti sway.

So If I add that to the mix can I pick up an additional 500 pounds? I promise to eventually get a better truck.

Or am I crazy?

Thanks in advance!

I have zero experience with the type of TV you have, but my gut tells me a 4.6L is on the light end for towing. Will it work, probably but the following are some considerations on how well.

1. Was you previous 5100lb trailer a full profile trailer and was that 5100lbs a scaled wt or a guess at what it weighed.

2. Is the new trailer a full profile and is that 5600lb the dry wt., the GVWR or what and what is the GVWR of that new trailer.

3. IMO it's not so much about wt, but what really kills one is the frontal area and speed. Here are the frontal area limitations for the recommended trailer wts. in the 2010 F150 towing guide:

Base Vehicle Frontal Area Without Trailer Tow Package or Heavy-Duty Payload Package

45 sq. ft. With Trailer Tow Package and 3.15 Axle Ratio

60 sq. ft. With Trailer Tow Package or Heavy-Duty Payload Package

Calculating frontal area for a vehicle towing a full profile trailer is sort of tricky since it's total frontal area presented which consists I think of both the TV and the Trailer. A typical full profile trailer can be 102" wide and around 10 to 10 1/2 feet tall so that equates to a potential frontal area of just the trailer of 8.5' x 10.5' = 89.25 sq ft. Obviously one can say that you have the open area under the trailer, however you have to consider the wheels from both the trailer and the TV that subtract from that area along with the addition of things like the A//C unit, vents (refer, etc.) along with things like awnings that all add to that basic 102" x 10 1/2' frontal area. There is also the turbulence factor from both the under carraiges of the trailer and TV along with the turbulence between the two vehicles and what if any effect on frontal area those have. It's almost impossible to accurately assess all this, but in general I think for the most part almost all full profile TT exceed the maxes for TVs, but how much is left to the "tea leave readers and Ouija board experts"

4. The final and probably most important factor safety wise is how comfortable any combo is to tow and the impact of that on driver fatigue and alertness. A poorly behaved combo can really take a toll on one and make a normal 2 hr drive feel like a 12hr one.

For me the bottom line is that I'm in the camp of bigger can't hurt and when your, your loved ones, and others lives are potentially at risk one can't be too careful and there are no "DO OVERS" when it comes to safety IMO. My gut feeling is your are close and in your case the biggest saving grace is the flat terrain and only 2 to 4 hrs towing, but I have no firm recommendation on a yes or no to what you asked. I only can give considerations and things to consider.

Good Luck

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL