cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can my vehicle tow this camper?

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
Since I'm asking the question, I think I know the answer (it's probably no) but let's run thru the match and see how much over I am and how big of a deal is it to be over. Here is my stats on my trailer 3650lbs on the sticker

I'm trying to do this with a 2007 3500lbs tow capacity ford explorer, 2" aftermarket hitch is installed as well as 7 pin and brake controller.
57 REPLIES 57

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Very nice rig OP! That truck and trailer are made for each other. ๐Ÿ™‚

You may have a little trouble with the Gold Wing in the short bed. JK

Jerry

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, I can't wait to try out my new tow rig, no more being overweight with the explorer. And I can take one of my Hondas if I want to

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
OP here. I did the camping trip just once with my explorer and went right back to truck shopping. Just pick up this 03 f-150 for $9,500 with taxes, plates and title out the door. Now I can tow 7,100 lbs

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
I might look into trans cooling and limp by with the explorer till the right truck pops up

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
TSeck wrote:
If your considering a Diesel, spend some time on this site. Go to Youtube and search "Powerstrokehelp". Great info on what to look for and what to stay away from. I went through the same issues with a GMC Sierra many years ago. Bought my Excursion and never looked back. Out of all my cars and trucks (I have six) its my favorite. According to my mechanic, with 190K on the clock she's just now broke in.
. Yeah, that's the word on the 7.3l. It's fords crown jewel. I'm envious. In fact the world seems to know this because the 7.3s don't come up and when they do they are gone.

TSeck
Explorer
Explorer
If your considering a Diesel, spend some time on this site. Go to Youtube and search "Powerstrokehelp". Great info on what to look for and what to stay away from. I went through the same issues with a GMC Sierra many years ago. Bought my Excursion and never looked back. Out of all my cars and trucks (I have six) its my favorite. According to my mechanic, with 190K on the clock she's just now broke in.
N. Fla. Family of 6 (2 Eagle Scouts!)
Looking at full time RV after retirement in 3 years.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I have basically the same truck. I pull a 6K lb trailer with ease. With an '03 you won't get a five or six speed transmission nor a three valve cylinder alignment. I believe in '04 they started putting in the Ford brake controllers, also. Mine does fine without the stated improvements but they are improvements. I have 185K on the clock.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you mean 5.4L? If it's the 5.4L Triton, I'd be hesitant to get that engine in an F350. That's the same engine I had in my old 2005 F150. The engine is a great motor, but it's a little under powered, compared to the V10 or 6.0 Power Stroke diesel.

See if you can find either a F250 or F350 with the V10 engine. That'll give all the power you need.

Undercover Poe wrote:
Op here again. Today I went and looked at this 03 f-350
This one was more than half what the diesel
One cost it has the gas 5.7l I believe. What are your
Guys thoughts? I going to test drive it on Saturday

Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
Op here again. Today I went and looked at this 03 f-350
This one was more than half what the diesel
One cost it has the gas 5.7l I believe. What are your
Guys thoughts? I going to test drive it on Saturday

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 6.0 is a good engine if it was taken care of. However it is a gamble on whether or not it will have any issues! The V-10 is the better option because they are cheaper up front and in maint , tow almost as good as the 6.0, have no issues, and you will never be wondering if and when that day comes that you will need to drop $6k into bulletproofing it. With that said though, a bulletproofed 6.0 is only rivaled by a Cummins!

I love my V-10 X with 4.30's. Never once have I felt the need for more engine. And I'm towing 9200lbs, many times through the mountains.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ol__yeller
Explorer II
Explorer II
In 2003 I traded my '99 V8 Mountaineer for a '99 F250 V10. It was an amazing difference in towing our little Pioneer 19T4. No more sway and the same MPG (around 10). It was a great truck and I think the Ford V10 is the best kept secret for towing. We now have a newer version of the V10 (2008 2 valve) in our Class C and still love that engine. The secret in towing with the V10 is to get the right gears, 430's or above.
I am NOT a mechanic although I do play one in my garage!

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
Would I be better off with a ford "gasser" as they refer to them as?

Undercover_Poe
Explorer
Explorer
krobbe wrote:
Read up on the 6.0L Powerstroke before considering one for your TV.
wow, there is a lot there to think about. It also seems lots of the vehicles with "P" in the 8th spot in the vin have thus same type of engine. Sounds like it's best to buy one with high miles, as these problems would be worked out by then?