cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you be to Picky?

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
When shopping for a truck there are a lot of personal preferences...some items fall into the need category others the nice to have category, So my question as subjective as it is, when do you settle? Or because of the prices of new trucks does it have to be "exactly" what you want? I'm not talking about it has everything you need but a few extras you don't, Im talking it has everything you need but say the interior/exterior color isn't your 1st choice or it has X transmission that will get the job done but you really wanted Y transmission. I've read to many threads on people buying X truck because it was on the lot and then later regret it and trading into what they should have bought in the first place. I always said I'd drive a pink truck if the price was right however I'm finding I'm getting really picky when it's my money and can't justify ordering exactly what I want because of the savings on what is on the lot....just food for thought no such thing as the perfect truck but for the money it better be something I can live with for a long time....and this wasn't meant to be a which one should I buy thread just wondering how many went thru the same thing when they were looking.

JJ
39 REPLIES 39

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
DWeikert wrote:

Of course, if that "someone else" is your significant other...

Funny you mention that we left the dealer today with the build sheet and my wife says Um "payload?" Lol got so wrapped up in configuration totally forgot the most important item!

JJ

Gripnriprod
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
I went through Costco and ordered exactly what I wanted. There is no need to compromise and buy what the dealer has in the lot ....

All our toy purchases are a compromise. Can I order a Cummins diesel with an Allison transmission? There are pluses and minuses to every make and model. Congrats to anyone that got EVEVRYTHING they wanted on their truck.
Why would you want to do that?:h
'11 GMC 3500hd SLT DRW D/A 4x4 Spray-in, Air Bags w/comp & controls, TL, Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 9.5t Warn, front rcvr, Fox Shocks, '11 AF 1140, DB, AC, Gen, Solar, Thermal Windows, Wardrobe, Rear & Side Awnings, 18' Lund/40hp Honda 4 stroke

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Can you be too picky?

Only in someone else's eyes. Only you know what level of compromise will leave you with a vehicle you're happy with vs. one leaving you disappointed every time you use it wishing it had some feature you wanted but decided to forgo for one reason or another.

Of course, if that "someone else" is your significant other...
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Quick update spec truck ordered is 300 less than the one on the lot, just waiting on payload numbers between the two...

JJ

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
skipro3 wrote:
I went through Costco and ordered exactly what I wanted. There is no need to compromise and buy what the dealer has in the lot ....

All our toy purchases are a compromise. Can I order a Cummins diesel with an Allison transmission? There are pluses and minuses to every make and model. Congrats to anyone that got EVEVRYTHING they wanted on their truck.

I know I sure did. I got a 6 speed six shift (with a granny!) automatic trannies are for wusses. 😜

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
skipro3 wrote:

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate all the info I will let you know what I find out....

JJ

run100
Explorer
Explorer
To echo what most have already said - us truck camper folks have specific needs and it can be difficult to find a truck on the lots built the way we need/want it. We factory ordered both trucks we have owned. It is an absolute myth you pay more to factory order. In fact, when you factory order, you are only paying for the options you want and not the ones you don't want! As others mentioned, we also went through the fleet department.

When you order, as the build sheet is being compiled, you can watch how each option impacts the crucial number - payload. Personally, I find the fancy trim levels way overpriced and they do nothing to help carry a camper. However, selecting the right options does (i.e.; camper package, higher rated tires & payload package, etc.) Being particularly selective on the options, can help you stay in your budget and maximize payload.

Good luck with your decision.
2012 F350,6.7L Diesel,4x4,CC,SB,SRW
2013 Lance 855S

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I went through Costco and ordered exactly what I wanted. There is no need to compromise and buy what the dealer has in the lot unless there is a BIG discount to do so. Costco got me fleet rate and the experience was very pleasant; dealing with the fleet manager instead of the bottom feeder salesmen/vultures circling the driveway entrance to the dealership.

My salesman gave me a web link and special # to enter after I logged on. I could 'watch' my truck as it made it's way along the assembly line, load onto the train, travel to California and finally on the truck to the dealer's. Pretty cool...

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered my truck and specified every option. I've had it for 9 years and I intend to have it for at least 10 more, so I wanted it to have exactly what I wanted. If I had it to do all over again, I would get a megacab and a dually but that's only because I never knew I'd buy a truck camper until many years later.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
When looking for a new truck my requirement list was pretty simple: Automatic Transmission, dully, diesel, 3500, air conditioning and cruise control, crew cab, long bed. And towing package. After that, nothing else mattered. I don't care one banana about the radio or DEF or OnStar or GPS or the color or the fabric (although leather or vinyl is good enough --- no cloth).

We got some pluses with our last truck though and lots of surprises! Full front bench seat, but still split for independent seating and a drop down between the seats to create a bucket-seat feel. Back seats lift up completely and opens the floor up completely but still has a built in child booster seat. We let OnStar die and Serious (x) radio, whatever that is ... fade away also. It had dual heat control (that's nice), and the on-board monitoring system is really amazing, tracks everything. It has Exhaust Break functionality, and tow mode features. It came with a tail-gate back-up camera. I do hate having to deal with DEF though. I think that's the only think I don't like about this truck.

No, I don't think I'm "that" picky. Actually, we did research on the internet, we knew what we were looking for (my criteria above), found the closest one (dealer that had it, drove out to look at it on the lot - it was Sunday, they were closed) and 2 days later, signed the dotted line! Next day, brought it home (dealer installed running boards) I insisted on that too. That truck still has features I'm learning about.

After market, we had mud flaps installed on all 4 wheel wells, rain guards above the 4 door windows, and a spray-on bed liner. We also had it wired for our shell and 3rd brake light in the shell. So those items must have been on our "demand" list also!

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
SugarHillCTD wrote:
Can you be to Picky

too picky

Touché
JJ

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Can you be to Picky

too picky
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

jerryleejr
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of great feedback, I plan on going tomm and spec one like I want and compare prices on ordered vs the only one on a lot that will work minus the interior color. I've had gray interiors in every truck I've ever owned and I really like the latest brown offering. As for how long I plan on keeping the truck at least 100k miles which I've done on every truck expect my 08 and that was a job issue forced me to trade it. So 7-10 years at least. My short list of must haves for me...again my preferences.
Diesel
4x4
Manual 3.73 gears
Dual alternators
Crewcab
Not gray interior
Preferably blue exterior color
Bench seat.

palmwhit
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Jerrylee, how long do you plan to keep your next truck? Seriously, if you think you're only going to keep it for a couple years, take what's on the lot, cause a couple years goes by fast and the next truck will be staring at ya. If on the other hand it's a big purchase and you plan to keep it for several years and maybe a few hundred K miles, then get picky son! Get exactly what you want and can afford and order it! With a little resolve you'll get a heck of a deal. When you order the truck, the dealer doesn't have his capital sitting out on the lot. Little to no risk for him on it selling cause he's gonna want a down payment (earnest money) that says you're buying it unless it comes in not as ordered! Oh, you'll have to wait a few weeks for it to come in, but so what. You won't be saying, well I wanted heated seats, but it didn't have em, or vise versa.
I ordered out my '06 F350 King Ranch, DRW 4x4 with even the rear differential gearing I preferred. Never looked back! When my wife and I went to look, I was planning of a nice Lariat, well SHE really liked the King Ranch, colors and beautiful leather, etc! I'm saying hey, that's another bunch of dough, SHE says, "if we're planning on spending a lot of time and miles in it, let's make it nice"! HECK YA!
We never regretted it! The difference in the money you spend won't be noticed as a year or two goes by, but the "happy factor" stays!
Just sayin! Good luck!