cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canopy speaker replacement

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if you can replace the speakers in the canopy system (I think Solera brand) with real speakers? I believe mine have blown this past week (which was the first time I even used them). Either that or they are really ****py since they are so small.

I am debating replacing with better brand, or just unhooking and putting some 6" on the sides of the camper.

I will be taking it in soon and get them replaced under warranty, but pretty sure the tiny things will just blow again soon enough. Anyone ever upgrade?
13 REPLIES 13

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Ok then. I'm not sure that using a poor quality receiver mated to awesome speakers will sound good. Something that has its own enclosure would be wise for best sound. These Yamaha or Polk would be good to mount to the TT.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
We have several bluetooth speakers already. Sometimes they aren't charged, sometimes we forget them, sometimes we want to listen to the radio. I paid for a feature, I want to be able to use it. You also will never get the spread from a bluetooth speaker that you will from 2 speakers 10 feet apart.

The one nice thing about these speakers is when the canopy is open, the speakers point down. It helps keep the sound at your site and not blasting right into the neighbors site.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Just buy a portable Bluetooth speaker and stream from your favorite device. You'll get a lot better sound from a $100-200 one of those, plus more convenience to take to the campfire, beach, etc.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't go by that label on the magnet. Measure the diameter of the cone and the size of the frame. Most coned drivers have those measurements listed in their specifications.

Here is a Poly planar marine speaker that mounts in a 2.6" hole and has an included locking ring (no screws necessary). I have no history with this driver.

Here is a Peerless full-ranger that is 2.5". I've used some Peerless drivers with good success.

You will probably find more offerings in 2.5" than the Asian 66MM size. I don;t think that 0.1" is going to make a difference. As said go by cone diameter and frame size for best fitment.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
RoyBell wrote:
I may see if I can pull it out today. I have no idea how it's mounted in there either. Thats a big magnet on the faital pro though. The price seems too good to be true for a quality WP speaker.
I think I may have a loose 3FE25 laying around. I could measure it if you need some real world dimensions.
Yeah, there are a lot of differences between different coned speakers. These small Faital's are engineered to reproduce the full range of response, not something typical in that size. I find they are pretty adequate down to about 200 hz or so.

FWIW, I've built other speakers using 3.5" -4" full-range drivers. The sound can be pretty amazing. My shop speakers are 4" (nominal) in small wood boxes, using Fostex FE108ez Sigma's. Sound is quite good.

There are other, smaller full-range drivers like this Peerless which may be a better fit.

As I believe you're aware, a larger, say, 6" driver will accomplish more and have a better sound than the smaller ones. It may be of advantage to you to use a larger boxed speaker in that size and install speaker jacks somewhere convenient on the exterior. In fact, you could use the existing speaker wires and mount panel jacks in the plastic housing. Yes, it would be another thing to move and store but may be worth the effort to get good sound outdoors. There is also the Bluetooth wireless option but I haven't found any yet that are good sounding and durable.

Good luck with your audio. Send a PM if you need specific help.

Thanks for the help. If you look above, the speakers are actually 2.6". Any tips on where to find that size? I looked around without much luck.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
RoyBell wrote:
I may see if I can pull it out today. I have no idea how it's mounted in there either. Thats a big magnet on the faital pro though. The price seems too good to be true for a quality WP speaker.
I think I may have a loose 3FE25 laying around. I could measure it if you need some real world dimensions.
Yeah, there are a lot of differences between different coned speakers. These small Faital's are engineered to reproduce the full range of response, not something typical in that size. I find they are pretty adequate down to about 200 hz or so.

FWIW, I've built other speakers using 3.5" -4" full-range drivers. The sound can be pretty amazing. My shop speakers are 4" (nominal) in small wood boxes, using Fostex FE108ez Sigma's. Sound is quite good.

There are other, smaller full-range drivers like this Peerless which may be a better fit.

As I believe you're aware, a larger, say, 6" driver will accomplish more and have a better sound than the smaller ones. It may be of advantage to you to use a larger boxed speaker in that size and install speaker jacks somewhere convenient on the exterior. In fact, you could use the existing speaker wires and mount panel jacks in the plastic housing. Yes, it would be another thing to move and store but may be worth the effort to get good sound outdoors. There is also the Bluetooth wireless option but I haven't found any yet that are good sounding and durable.

Good luck with your audio. Send a PM if you need specific help.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Canopy speakers are 2.6". And it appears they are glued onto the housing.

Inside speakers are 5.5. I have 6" weather proof ones I plug in on the inside and the sound was 10x better just holding it in my hand.

Looks like there is a sub out on the head unit. Only 4 speakers (2 in 2 out) with an A/B combo switch built in.

I have to figure out how to get the 6" speakers wired if I decide to use those outside.

20150728_181716 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

20150728_182615 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

20150728_183438 by RoyBelluomini, on Flickr

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I've used the Faital Pro 3" (3FE25) in an all-environment application. You probably need the 4 ohm version, that needs to be specified when ordering. I don't know how the original speaker was mounted in that odd housing but most small cone speaker frames are the same.

Faital Pro 3" 3FE25
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
Without opening them up, I can only guess they are 3-4". They are outdoor so they have to be weatherproof.

Looks like these: http://www.amazon.com/Lippert-Components-342150-Speaker-Assembly/dp/B00PXLWA68

I rather get a quality pair and small sub to fill in the bass and avoid chopping up my panels if possible.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
What size are they? I make audio players with small speakers so could give you a recommendation. There are quite a few smallish speakers that will sound good.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I don't have that brand, but I had no difficulty at all finding better replacement speakers for the ones that came with the Trailer, which, of course, were ****py.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Not for outside speakers. Don't use them.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance