cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Capri cowboy camper tie down

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed that one option on this camper was small doors that allow you to tie your camper to the tie hooks in the factory installed bed of your truck . What are your thoughts ? They are light weight campers.
3 REPLIES 3

Travels_with_Yo
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I noticed that one option on this camper was small doors that allow you to tie your camper to the tie hooks in the factory installed bed of your truck . What are your thoughts ? They are light weight campers.

First of all, I think everyone who claims a "lightweight" camper should provide a Cat scale certificate to demonstrate what they consider to be lightweight. Manufacturer brochure specs don't count.

That being said, our Eureka camper uses this method and in our case the bed mounts are sufficient. The truck bed mounts are quite likely stronger than the weakest link in the turnbuckle attached to them. The weight of the camper is carried by the truck bed. The strong braking force is absorbed by the front of the bed somewhat. The bed mounts don't support weight or carry much load unless sudden and violent forces act on them such as in a collision. They tend to be tasked with holding the camper in place, especially when cornering but not carrying it's load otherwise. Our camper weighs about 1400 lbs fully loaded and we've traveled many hundreds of miles as such. If I examine the bed mount rings closely, the spray on bedliner material isn't even scuffed so apparently they don't seem to be under much stress. I do believe that heavier campers require heavier attachments and attachment points.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:

I would doubt that the vertical pull on the bed installed OEM cargo hoops is substantial enough for most campers, nor do I believe they are intended for such applied forces, but this is just my sage opinion only...

realter
Explorer
Explorer
Something similar to Four Wheel Campers?