cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carrying gas for generator

Zircon
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Alp Adventurer TC on a 2015 Chevy Silverado Dually. We do a fair bit of boondocking as well as camping in campgrounds that have no AC hookup. So, we purchased a Honda EU2000i. What do you think is the best way to carry spare gas for that generator. I've been thinking about purchasing one of those diamond plate metal boxes (if I could find one), bolting it to the top of the rear overhang of the camper, drilling some vent holes in it, and using it to store one of those approved polyethylene gas containers ... maybe 5 gallons. Don't much like the idea of just the plastic container sitting on the back of the camper, so I figured the metal container would afford some extra protection. Then I thought maybe I could use one of those low profile RotopaX containers (3 gallons?) and attach it to the rear overhang ... maybe behind the ladder. Some of you must have had this problem before and I was wondering how you handled it?
I searched the forums, but couldn't find anything. Maybe I didn't use the right search parameters. By the way, if I have this post in the wrong place, I apologize and feel free to move it. Thanks.
19 REPLIES 19

narcodog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Artum Snowbird wrote:
Before you get really excited about it, and unless you have a lower BTU A/C than standard, I would reckon you should try to make it run with the Honda.

It seems like it should run, but remember, when you are using your generator your battery charger is running, your converter is running, your fridge is running, and they all take a bit of that 2000 watts.

Most people say it won't happen, especially if you are in any altitude.

I take one, and I just put the gas can into either the side or rear compartment of the camper. One tank full and a two gallon container is a lot of fuel for a Honda.

He has no a/c

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Some ideas here
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
you can buy metal gas containers at the surplus stores, like posted before keep te can up high so as to not puncture it

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
Before you get really excited about it, and unless you have a lower BTU A/C than standard, I would reckon you should try to make it run with the Honda.

It seems like it should run, but remember, when you are using your generator your battery charger is running, your converter is running, your fridge is running, and they all take a bit of that 2000 watts.

Most people say it won't happen, especially if you are in any altitude.

I take one, and I just put the gas can into either the side or rear compartment of the camper. One tank full and a two gallon container is a lot of fuel for a Honda.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've thought about, and I think the higher you can mount it the better. I'm sure others will show pictures of their setups.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member