cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

charging batteries with Honda2000

sign_man
Explorer
Explorer
Is charging the batteries thru the converter faster in eco-mode or out of eco-mode with my honda genny?
"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis & Clark expedition"

2015 palomino puma 30'rkss / 2008 toyota tundra 5.7
9 REPLIES 9

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
sign man wrote:
Is charging the batteries thru the converter faster in eco-mode or out of eco-mode with my honda genny?
Same.

If you want max speed you need to post what converter you are using.
Some are excellent, most are weak, a few are pathetic.

I have the pathetic brand. :B

So, I use a portable smart charger.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
sign man wrote:
Same.

If you want max speed you need to post what converter you are using.
Some are excellent, most are weak, a few are pathetic.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
It makes no difference, the charge speed is the same in both modes.

Leave it in eco mode and save noise and fuel.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

sign_man
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
If all you want is battery charging think about adding a solar system.

Eco mode makes no difference to the converter.

Do not attempt to charge to 100%. The generator would need to run all day long.
interesting thought. gonna post a new topic.
"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis & Clark expedition"

2015 palomino puma 30'rkss / 2008 toyota tundra 5.7

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If all you want is battery charging think about adding a solar system.

Eco mode makes no difference to the converter.

Do not attempt to charge to 100%. The generator would need to run all day long.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
We do a lot of boondocking, and after reading results on this forum, two mods are key:

1. Replace the OEM converter/charger with a better from Progressive Dynamics or similar. The charge wizard function allows you to force the charge into "boost mode" at 14.4v, and it will automatically kick back to 13.6v based on state of charge.

2. Upgrade the typical #6 wire between the converter and batteries. The location of the converter in our unit gave me about 30' of #6 wire, and I added a #2 in parallel on the hot side, and also increased the ground legs from the batteries and converter to the frame. This greatly reduces voltage drop and enables more the voltage output of the charger to make it to the batteries.

Before the mods, I would need to run the Eu2000 almost all day to get a good charge back in the batteries. Now I can kick the converter into boost mode and get the batteries back to almost 100% with 2-3 hrs of run time.

If you don't want to mod the RV, then go with the stand alone Iota charger as suggested above, and connect the charger directly to the batteries. You are accomplishing the same thing with a separate piece of equipment, ie 14.4v charging mode and good wire capacity from the charger to the batteries.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
Shouldn't matter. The generator will run as fast as the load demands. In eco-mode, or running wide open, still producing 120V @ 60Hz. There's more current available at the higher speed, but if the charger doesn't require it, it's of no benefit.

If you're trying to do a fast charge to limit generator run time, you should consider getting a battery charger such as an Iota 55A model. It can do the 3 stage charging to prolong battery life, but it also comes with a plug to kick up the charging voltage to 14.2V, and will not reduce like a smart charger. Much faster, but you need to watch your batteries and make sure they are not boiling.

More detail can be found on page 3 of the Iota owner's manual:
www.iotaengineering.com/pplib/dlsmanl.pdf
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't matter. Eco just means it only runs fast enough to meet the load.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

djnedd
Explorer
Explorer
Hi sign man

I use my Honda Generator to charge batteries a lot as I am often boondocking out west somewhere.

I run the Gen on Eco mode exclusively to charge through the TT charging system. That is a much better charger then my backup 10 amp cheap charger. It takes 2-3 hours to top off the batteries when I use lots of electric during a day. Usually a charge will last 2-3 days of low use.

If I am using minimal electric (really nice weather in the summer) about an hour of charging is often enough every day or every other day.

I have never seen a reason NOT use the Eco Mode, plus it is quieter. Something appreciated by me and my neighbors.

DJN