cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chassis Cab Ride Quality

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi, Currently exploring getting a chassis cab to put a custom utility bed on then my TC.

Looks like most are buying a 550 or 5500.

I have two questions.

1. Why not a 450 or 4500 chassis cab? They seem to have the CCC.

2. What is the ride quality like. I can imagine what an unloaded truck would be like, but can anyone speak to the fully loaded ride quality of their chassis cab set up?

Cheers,
Eric
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears
2013 Eagle Cap 950
480 Watts Solar, 3K VictronConnect Multiplus II, VictronConnect smart DC-DC charger, VictronConnect 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
19 REPLIES 19

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I studied a lot on getting a RAM 4500 C&C to carry a TC but never ended up building it. When I ran the numbers the 4500 was really close. I have a family of five and a dog that would be in the cab. I was planning to have storage boxes above and below the flatbed because the truck would double as my day to day work vehicle. I was also planning on towing a 6,000 pound boat behind the rig. When I added everything up the 4500 would have done it but it was going to be really close which surprised me. If I were to built a rig like that I think I'd go with the 5500 too.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Re-reading your first post, OP, appears you're not planning on a heavier camper?
You already have a couple thousand lbs of headroom in your real world payload on your new dually, beyond what the loaded camper weighs. Seems like an ideal match as you have it, unless you're wanting to pack around a literal ton of extra "stuff" beyond the (estimated) 4500lb fully stocked camper.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
First comment, if you upgrade, thank you for doing far more than your part to bolster our economy!

Second comment, go take one for a ride. Some tend to downplay the extremely harsh "empty" ride, IMO. (and to be fair, likely purchased them primarily as a hauler and not a driver)
And if you do decide to go forward with it, personally I'd try to configure the CA length and bed length to try to get a decent chunk of camper weight on the front axle as well. The only thing that rides worse than an empty class V truck, is one that has all the payload on the back and the, now extremely over built over sprung front suspension and tires haven't calmed down with some extra weight on them and the weight on the back exaggerates the harshness of the front.

Some folks proclaim to "love" driving around a med duty truck that acts like the axles are welded to the frame, some don't.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
On wash boarded road, bumpy with camper on back, worse without...

I went through the same thing starting with the Newbie 1500 and worked to the 5500.. I went with the 5500 over the 4500 as I felt it's just a better/stronger model, and was only like $1200 difference..

I like it, it's just a little difficult for me, traveling around to find a dealer that can service it... most can take the 3500 no problem but then there's a line.. and few can service the 5500... not a big problem just be aware of it.. and plan accordingly..

Good luck...'
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10’ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow N’ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2 of them. Loaded not bad at all. Unloaded a little rough. I have a 4 link kelderman, front and rear on one and it rides great unloaded. Wife loves it.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride