cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap maintainer destroyed my battery

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
Put a HF "Automatic" charger on my TT battery. After 3 months it has destroyed my battery. All the water boiled out due the charger putting out 20v. Is there any way to save it? Should I have just left it on the TT and let the house panel charge it? I am soooo frustrated!
19 REPLIES 19

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
cyberiankhatru wrote:

I figure the battery is toasted.

Yes it likely is. 20 V is probably the open circuit voltage of the charger, indicating that no current is flowing to the battery anymore.

Two lessons might be learned here:

A good automatic tender type charger is not very expensive; the few extra dollars would have been money well spent.

Regardless of what the batteries are connected to, they should be checked for water and voltage about once a month.

I fully charge mine then disconnect (switch).
A routine running of the truck and gen once a month keeps them topped up.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

cyberiankhatru
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry don't know the onboard systems brand. Not where I can check it right now.
I figure the battery is toasted.
Thanks.

Crazy_Ray
Explorer
Explorer
With HF you get what you pay for. JMO
RET ARMY 1980,"Tiny" furkid, Class A, 2007 Bounder 35E, Ford V10 w/Steer Safe, 4 6V CROWN,GC235,525W Solar Kyocera, TriStar 45 Controller,Tri-Metric 2020,Yamaha 2400, TOW CRV. Ready Brake. "Living Our Dream" NASCAR #11-18-19-20- LOVE CO,NM,AZ

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even the DC OUTPUT VOLTAGE of only 13.6VDC that most of the RV Converter/charger use will boil out the battery fluids if left on for a long period of time. By dropping this down to just 13.2VDC stops this from happening according to Progressive Dynamics... This is what the smart mode charging units do keeping your battery safe when setting for a long time.

I learned the hard way as well... Started out in 2008 with four 12VDC Batteries using a single mode 13.6VDC converter/charger 30A unit and lost one battery rather quick by having the battery fluids boiled out. Changed the converter/charger to a smart mode unit and all has been fine since then.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi,

I suspect the battery is done.

What converter is in your RV?

It may be best to charge once a month when an RV is in storage, using a disconnect switch for the "down time" between charges.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.