cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check your valve stems!

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it happend... First flat on the trailer.

I got new tires when I bought the TT 3.5 years ago, I opted for 10-ply to replace the 8-ply that were shot. Took it to the local Goodyear shop and they provided the tires and did the install. Well my last trip, I decided to air them up to the max 80PSI (I had been running them at 65) and 30 miles from home, I saw the tread of my tire fly off in my mirror! I was able to get right over to the side of the road and stopped with no further damage than the tire. Long story short, got to les schwab and got a new tire. They found the cause, the Goodyear shop used rubber valve stems instead of metal, and the valve stem blew out. The rubber ones are only rated for 65PSI... Go figure! They put a metal one on there, and got me on my way (after setting all the tires to 62PSI) Now I just gotta get the other three changed out...
Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350
24 REPLIES 24

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
thetechie01 wrote:
Yep. I agree. I just figured the shop mounting the tires would know what they were doing.. Well I won't go back there again!

*Any* tire shop -from Mom & Pop to Costco- will have a big turnover of the guys doing the labor.
Frequently they were employed at Taco Bell or Mickey D's the previous week.

It's *YOUR* job to check up on them.

Another frequent "flaw" is employees using air impacts on the lugs when mounting rims.
Lugs should be "snugged" with the impact, then torqued with a torque wrench.

Frequent statement:
"My impact is set for xx pounds, no problem".
Yeah, right!

Don't be afraid to call BS on that.
It will be your wasted time (not theirs) when you have a stud they broke replaced.
(Been there - experienced that, lesson learned!)..:(

~

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
When we got the new trailer, we had metal stems installed at America's Tire and the wheels balanced. Cost me $70 but well worth the peace of mine. I also have a TST TPMS system brought over from my old trailer and had trouble with rubber stems using the TST, even though TST told me I could do it. After 2 rubber stems failed, that made a believer out of me regarding Steel Valve Stems.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
Metal valve stems are all I use on my TT and TVs. I highly recommend for the few dollars more, especially if you are using screw on TPMS sensors. I also balanced my TT tires with the TPMS sensors in place. Tire shop (Discount) thought I was nuts, but in all cases the weights used to balance the assembly were directly or nearly directly across from the stem and sensor.
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sure this is all true. You say when you bought the trailer you put on new tires. Does this mean you bought a used trailer? If you did when you had the new tires put on did they install new valve stems? Or, did the cheapen out and used the old ones? If they did the age of the stem might have also contributed to the failure.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
johnnycap wrote:
There are two types of rubber snap in valves...standard and high pressure.

That is my understanding also .
There are rubber high pressure stems .
They can be identified by their length because they are 1 /4 inch longer .

HJGyswyt
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago a co-worker of mine bought a new GM truck and offered me his tires and wheels for $400. Nice factory aluminum wheels & Firestone tires. Made my older Suburban look much newer, and cheaper than a set of tires from any shop. But his tire shop had to remove the factory sensors inside the tire/wheel before I got them and they put rubber stems in place of the metal ones, and sure enough, I lost two of them on the road and eventually has Les Schwab put steelies in and had no problems since.

On my older 96 pickup with aftermarket aluminum wheels I've had an ongoing corrosion problem with the steel valve stems. The local Les Schwab has been very patient since once or twice a year I bring it in with leaking valve stems, and they have to ream the hole and reinsert new stems. But they have never charged me since I'm using their Toyo brand tires.

Hans
2003 GMC 2500HD CC Longbox SW/2002 Wilcat Bunkhouse 30'
/1987 Western Wildderness 11' Alpine Truck Camper/1971 MacGregor Venture Sailboat

Rig Pictures, click on this link.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NHIrish
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I use high pressure rubber valve stems on all of my trailers and trucks. Their rated to 100 psi and come OEM on all 2500/3500 trucks with E rated tires.

A few years back there was a nation wide recall on the std duty 60 psi rated rubber valve stems that were made in china.

True...there are high pressure rubber valve stems.

Metal come with issue also...nuts can loosen etc. Bottom line is that many of the guys that work in tire shops don't know much about tires...and nothing about valve stems.
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS

2010 Carriage Cameo 32-FwS
2008 Carriage Cameo
2006 Keystone Cougar
2005 Keystone Zeppelin
1999 Coachmen Catalina

2017 Ford F350 Powerstroke
Curt Q25

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock
:W

artguys
Explorer
Explorer
OK...you caught the stem issue. Now the wheels. In looking at the pic they appear to be low end original equipment steel that came with the unit. The fact that they're steel is good as they flex and and allow the tires to work less, but because they are the OE wheels they too may not be rated for use with the higher pressures.

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Another solution to bending of rubber valve stems due to the centrifugal force on the stem-mounted TPMS sensors is to use a rubber sleeve over the valve stem. The rubber sleeve is a 1/2" piece of rubber fuel line with the appropriate inner diameter. Works perfectly with no need to switch (immediately) to metal stems. Besides not all rims allow the fitting of metal stems.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the high pressure stems have a coppery colored metal, with a rubber cover that ends partway up. When using TPM that screws onto the end of the stem, I always insist on ALL-metal valve stems, which are usually shiny metal (looks like stainless to me) with no rubber visible; the monitors can put a lot of side to side torque on the stem and weaken one that isn't strong enough. TST's website states, "The added weight of the sensor on a rubber valve stem could cause problems that will be avoided by using metal valve stems."
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. I agree. I just figured the shop mounting the tires would know what they were doing.. Well I won't go back there again!
Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350

Paul_61
Explorer
Explorer
I think only metal valve stems should be used on trailers and for that matter also TV. As I buy new tires for my car will also put metal stems on it also..
Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 diesel
Rockwood 2608 WS 2014

LoneStar1
Explorer
Explorer
I still am seeing a large failure rate on passenger car valve stems. Not as bad as '07 and '08, but a lot more than 15 years ago. These are stems that are installed with every new tire on police cars (Crown Vics) that only average 15000 miles before the tires are worn out. I have argued for metal stems to no avail. At least the police Charger come with metal stems. Go with metal stems.

johnnycap
Explorer
Explorer
There are two types of rubber snap in valves...standard and high pressure.