cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

needing help!

wickedvix
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to be in the market for a small (20' or under) TT. I have an FJ cruiser that will tow up to 5,000lbs. Would prefer not to be too close to that limit. I'd like something "nice" quality new or used and easy to deal with... it's just going to be me and the dogs for long weekends or short weeks. Three season. I live in Colorado and plan to mostly do shortish trips around CO but might occasionally go further.

I've got used Airstreams and new or used Kodiaks on my list. What else should I be looking at (and what to avoid). Thanks!
14 REPLIES 14

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Being a Casita owner I have to suggest a...wait for it...Casita.

Other than that, it fits your requirements. They are built in Texas and don't have dealers so you have to go to the factory to pick them up (that's a plus since they give you a complete runthrough on the trailer's systems). You are close so that is not a problem. While Olivers are similar, I'm not sure that they are in business anymore. Plus they cost half again as much. The down side to used Casitas, if you are a buyer, is that the used market is almost nonexistent. And even used, the price is pretty high and without warranty.

That said, we are two adults and a 120 pound Akita and it works for us! 😉

LS
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We like our little Fun Finder. Check out the blog links in my signature, if you have a few minutes.

Having said that, I think that Casita and Scamp are the most durable little trailers. They do not have enough headroom for me, but they are very well made.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
If you like Airstreams check out SilverStreaks, Streamliners and Avions. For old aluminum boxes they are better made than Airstreams.

For a great well made well insulated trailer I would do some serious checking out of the Bigfoot trailers. They are Fiberglass eggs that don't have the leaking issues of traditional trailers.

Chalets are cool hard sided popups. If it were just me and the dogs I would definitely consider one! They tow a LOT better than any regular travel trailer because of their reduced height when towing.

Personally I would forget about a traveltrailer and get a small toy hauler. Toy haulers are not just for quads and motorcycles any more. They are great for carting bicycles, kayaks etc. Stuff you will have a hard time bringing with a small travel trailer. The large doors makes loading and unloading all your gear and stuff much easier and faster. They still make great trailers even if you don't want to bring along any recreational equipment (But is is always nice to have the option if you want to bring some!)
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
How about a Winnebago Micro Minnie. 19', 3000lbs dry.

http://winnebagotowables.com/micro-minnie
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
wickedvix wrote:
@djgarcia - yes... the only way I could remotely justify an Airstream would be a used one.. and even then they're expensive. Are they worth it? IDK but they sure hold their value... Meantime, I need to be able to eat something while I'm on weekend jaunts and a new Airstream would mean I'd be only eating Air (no pun)...

Off to look at TrailManors 🙂

You also might want to look at the Casita or Scamp trailers if you haven't already.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Chalet Takena 1860 or 1860BH unloaded 3250, loaded 4500, dual axles, 6 cu ft fridge/freezer, 3 burner stove with oven, we really like our 1860 so far.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

wickedvix
Explorer
Explorer
@djgarcia - yes... the only way I could remotely justify an Airstream would be a used one.. and even then they're expensive. Are they worth it? IDK but they sure hold their value... Meantime, I need to be able to eat something while I'm on weekend jaunts and a new Airstream would mean I'd be only eating Air (no pun)...

Off to look at TrailManors 🙂

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I like our TrailManor 2417. Loaded for camping, it weighs 3500 lbs. Tows like a popup, so little wind resistance. I get 28 mpg highway not towing, and have gotten 21.8 mpg on each of three trips into the mountains (Denver > Telluride, Denver > Grand Mesa).

It is 18' tongue-to-bumper, but opens to 21' of living space. Hard walls and ends - no canvas.

Can see new ones in Colorado Springs at The Car Show.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
wickedvix wrote:
Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming!

So far I like the Lance 1985 and Kodiak 200QB best and although I've always loved the idea of owning an Airstream, these two trailers seem like a much better value for money.

I need to verify what weight limit/tongue weights I'm restricted to on the FJ for safety as well as looking at all the others.

I found the Oliver - thank you.. it's a bit more basic than I'd like.. looked at ALL the Dutchmen offerings in trailers and many more today.

The last time I checked, a new Airstream was over $50K:(:(:(

wickedvix
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming!

So far I like the Lance 1985 and Kodiak 200QB best and although I've always loved the idea of owning an Airstream, these two trailers seem like a much better value for money.

I need to verify what weight limit/tongue weights I'm restricted to on the FJ for safety as well as looking at all the others.

I found the Oliver - thank you.. it's a bit more basic than I'd like.. looked at ALL the Dutchmen offerings in trailers and many more today.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
There was a recent post about, I believe the name was, an Oliver. It's made here in TN and appears to be very good quality. The price was a bit steep, but had lots of good, usable space in a small package. You might go further back in the postings. Seems like it was about a week ago and there was a link. Good luck and make sure the dogs are comfy.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You most likely will be looked at a single axle trailer. Here's a link to a "very" quick search I did that will bring up all kind of single axle camper images. It might help your search. click here.

Casita Travel Trailers is what comes to my mind immediately: Click here

Good luck!

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Might look at the Bigfoot trailers.
Bigfoot

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
wickedvix wrote:
I'm going to be in the market for a small (20' or under) TT. I have an FJ cruiser that will tow up to 5,000lbs. Would prefer not to be too close to that limit. I'd like something "nice" quality new or used and easy to deal with... it's just going to be me and the dogs for long weekends or short weeks. Three season. I live in Colorado and plan to mostly do shortish trips around CO but might occasionally go further.

I've got used Airstreams and new or used Kodiaks on my list. What else should I be looking at (and what to avoid). Thanks!

Take a look at the Lance trailers. Many choices, models in the size you are looking for. The prices are good as well, in the mid 20K range.