cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Check your valve stems!

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it happend... First flat on the trailer.

I got new tires when I bought the TT 3.5 years ago, I opted for 10-ply to replace the 8-ply that were shot. Took it to the local Goodyear shop and they provided the tires and did the install. Well my last trip, I decided to air them up to the max 80PSI (I had been running them at 65) and 30 miles from home, I saw the tread of my tire fly off in my mirror! I was able to get right over to the side of the road and stopped with no further damage than the tire. Long story short, got to les schwab and got a new tire. They found the cause, the Goodyear shop used rubber valve stems instead of metal, and the valve stem blew out. The rubber ones are only rated for 65PSI... Go figure! They put a metal one on there, and got me on my way (after setting all the tires to 62PSI) Now I just gotta get the other three changed out...
Greatest bunkhouse I've ever seen! Elkridge 38RSRT, 2012 F-350
24 REPLIES 24

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I use high pressure rubber valve stems on all of my trailers and trucks. Their rated to 100 psi and come OEM on all 2500/3500 trucks with E rated tires.

A few years back there was a nation wide recall on the std duty 60 psi rated rubber valve stems that were made in china.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TerryandKim wrote:
Seriously? so rubber valve stems won't take the 80lbs? I just bought new tires for TV. Should I be going back to tire shop and telling them to put on steel valve stems? there is rubber on there now. It's a max air pressure 80lb tire.

DO IT TODAY!!! Metal stems are the only way to go! I like the longer extended stems which makes it easier to air up the tire.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
TerryandKim wrote:
Seriously? so rubber valve stems won't take the 80lbs? I just bought new tires for TV. Should I be going back to tire shop and telling them to put on steel valve stems? there is rubber on there now. It's a max air pressure 80lb tire.

DO IT TODAY!!! Metal stems are the only way to go! I like the longer extended stems which makes it easier to air up the tire.

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
That's what schwab told me, and makes sense since it has been fine for 3 years, and as soon as I aired it up, it failed. You could actually see on the stem where it blew out.

I thought about having them all done, but I was already dropping the money on the tire, and I didn't really want to take the extra time, wanted to get back on the road, still had a 5 hour drive ahead of us and it was 4pm

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Should have had them all done while you're there.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
Usually rubber on the spare and steel for the rest. My pickup is the same way but seems to hold 80lbs in the spare just fine.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

TerryandKim
Explorer
Explorer
1999 GMC Sierra 1500 ExtCab SLE 5.3l 3.73 - Curt WD, airbags
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BHS G2
1 Wonderful Wife!, 2 Great Boys!, 1 Goofy Basset Hound (Floyd),Oh, and me.

thetechie01
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't know that about the stems! Learn something new all the time.

Hbill, what tmps system do you use? I have been looking now.. Ha!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Happened to me also. You can't trust some of these tire dealers.

hbillsmith
Explorer
Explorer
I've noticed that my TPMS seem to be beating up my rubber valve stems.
Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States